Idle fuel burn for camping heat?

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldspicejet

:
mazda cx-5
Hi

I once slept in the back of my 2015 CX-5 on a full size mattress topper and had a great night sleep. I want to take it camping but want to stay warm. How much fuel would the car burn per hour if i left it on with the heat on low to medium? want to see what makes more sence to buy a 400w Lithium battery with tiny 200w heater or just leave the car on for 40-50F night weather during sleep in the back with seats dropped. i get cold easily. Thanks.

You might not wake up. Carbon monoxide. Don't do it.

If you're camping, and it's cold enough that you'd consider running the car all night just to stay warm, then you might want to rethink the whole camping experience thing.
I'd be camping at the nearest Marriott if it were me.
I'd also think about what shadonoz said. Staying overnight in a running car will will certainly give you a good sleep......for eternity.

I'll have to look in torque pro.. there maybe be a code for GPH built in.

Cars are super bad to sleep in. They trap condensation like a mother. If you must, I'd vent the vehicle (crack some windows, etc.) and get quality sleep gear, but if you actually do that, you can sleep outdoors and not worry about sleeping in a tiny little CUV.

You're talking about idling the car for 7 to 8 hours?? Not good for the engine. As long as you have the fan on drawing in fresh air and not on recirc. you should be ok, but it's not something i would do, just through that in as a disclaimer....

here is the data... warmed up, and left to idle with radio off heat on 90 fan setting 1, my consumption was .8/.9L per hour. Or .24 GPH. Might get less by pulling the radio (headunit) fuse. Data obtained using a $5 obd2 reader. Car is tuned on 93 but that shouldn't matter for idling purposes.
mMi5Utw.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back