Good Things In Life

:
RDX Aspec Adv.
Maybe the mods will let it stand, maybe it will get booted elsewhere, but sometimes we need to take a break from the endless debate about tail-light shape and horsepower and seat material, and just appreciate what's good in our lives. Even if it's small. Sometimes it's big. We just need to sit back and appreciate it. I decided I'd start a thread with that spirit, and see if stays going.

Today, I'm appreciative that the chickens I bought something like half a year ago, are finally pulling their weight!

48220469_10100137508924411_4676471146206461952_o.jpg

46844413_10100134274401421_9205281724798337024_o.jpg

I think it's funny that you created this thread with this sentiment, when you're quite often the spark of those debates with your (often negative) critiques that tend to polarize people.

So I guess that's what I'm appreciative of. Keep bringing the entertainment! :)

that's awesome!
how many chickens do you have? how many eggs are you getting from them?

I have 10 hens, one rooster. Today I got 14 eggs. I do not know if some were from the day before, or not, though, as I found the nest (they free-range) in t he morning, and don't know if was there before, or not. I suspect it was, so I'm not sure for how long. Temps here have been 35-55, so the eggs were still good of course.

I am still not sure if I will raise my own chickens for eating, or not. My coop isn't really sized for more than 11, really, 8 would fit better. I thought I'd lose some to attrition and predators, but so far, so good really. They are very smart and survivable even with coyotes, eagles, hawks, weasels around here.

My chickens are Welsummers, and should lay 3-4 a week, each. In the winter, that slows. A chicken needs 14hrs a day of light to lay at best capacity.

I think it's funny that you created this thread with this sentiment, when you're quite often the spark of those debates with your (often negative) critiques that tend to polarize people.

So I guess that's what I'm appreciative of. Keep bringing the entertainment! :)

There must always be balance. No negative in this thread, please.

Maybe the mods will let it stand, maybe it will get booted elsewhere, but sometimes we need to take a break from the endless debate about tail-light shape and horsepower and seat material, and just appreciate what's good in our lives. Even if it's small. Sometimes it's big. We just need to sit back and appreciate it. I decided I'd start a thread with that spirit, and see if stays going.
Eh I'll leave it for a little bit nothing wrong with friendly conversation.

I'm thankful for the hands that prepared this food In Jesus' name we pray, amen....
oh actually I'm glad I'm done with this semester.. first semester in this aviation program at Texas A&M Central. Just finishing up this 12 page research paper I started today that's due today lol.

I can't be the only one thinking it's nowhere near "awesome" to be raising chickens?!?!? I have a friend who raises chickens. It's 10 times more awesome to have a friend who raises chickens. [emoji38]

I can't be the only one thinking it's nowhere near "awesome" to be raising chickens?!?!? I have a friend who raises chickens. It's 10 times more awesome to have a friend who raises chickens. [emoji38]

In scale, not so hot. A small hobby flock? Endless amusement.

Good thoughts here. It's easy to get down, thinking about the negatives in life, and losing focus on the good things around you.
As I'm getting older, it's harder to stay positive about some things that are going on in the world.
The light at the end of the tunnel sometimes looks like a train.
When I get caught up in the everyday crap, I think mostly of my family, and in particular, my grandchildren.
We just celebrated the arrival of grandchild number 4. A healthy happy little boy.
Until you have the experience yourself, it's too difficult to explain the joy of being around grandkids.
Having them around is what defines the good things in life for me and my wife.
I don't have chickens, so I can't compare. Sorry.
I do miss my dear departed dog though.

Weve had a small flock of chickens for the past ten years. Fun little hobby. No comparison to rich dark yolks, free bug control and fertilizer for the garden.

Theyre kind of like a fish tank for your yard the way you can watch them for hours.

I remember in San Diego county in the 80's we had chickens in the back yard. The city grew and prohibited chickens by the 90's.

I think that's where I got my quick twitch ball defensive skills from LOL :)

Do you keep the Rooster separate? Wondering if the eggs are fertilized or not, and if you plan on eating eggs or increasing the population. Maybe just my ignorance as I know nothing about raising chickens.

As a child, I was raised on a farm. Milked cows and sold the milk, raised beef cattle and farmed crops, the whole nine yards. It was a smallish farm (by Iowa standards) of 200 acres. My mom also raised 500 chickens every summer and sold them dressed out. She would use the money earned to 'get something for the house,' usually new furniture or appliances or such. It was a huge family affair when all the uncles, aunts and cousins came over for a few weekends in the summer to dress out the chickens for sale. I won't get into the details of dressing out chickens, but the 'job' of chicken plucking was given to the kids (those of us that wanted to do it, anyway). I have many fond memories of living on the farm, and learned a lot of valuable life lessons as well. Probably the most important one being that it behooves a person to make a better life for themselves than what they had growing up, even if it is looked back on as being a wonderful experience. Just my two cents for this thread.

Do you keep the Rooster separate? Wondering if the eggs are fertilized or not, and if you plan on eating eggs or increasing the population. Maybe just my ignorance as I know nothing about raising chickens.

Rooster exists to protect the flock, not separate. May let them hatch a few in the spring after I lose some to predators, but eggs only at this time.

As a child, I was raised on a farm. Milked cows and sold the milk, raised beef cattle and farmed crops, the whole nine yards. It was a smallish farm (by Iowa standards) of 200 acres. My mom also raised 500 chickens every summer and sold them dressed out. She would use the money earned to 'get something for the house,' usually new furniture or appliances or such. It was a huge family affair when all the uncles, aunts and cousins came over for a few weekends in the summer to dress out the chickens for sale. I won't get into the details of dressing out chickens, but the 'job' of chicken plucking was given to the kids (those of us that wanted to do it, anyway). I have many fond memories of living on the farm, and learned a lot of valuable life lessons as well. Probably the most important one being that it behooves a person to make a better life for themselves than what they had growing up, even if it is looked back on as being a wonderful experience. Just my two cents for this thread.

Couldn't agree more!

I found the quickest, easiest and cleanest way to make fluffy scrambled eggs and egg sandwiches. Done in the microwave oven. I am making them right now. Put in bowl with salt and pepper, nuck for one minute, mix or flip then another 30 seconds or so. Put shredded cheddar cheese on top and put on toast. Yum.

OMFG, we're sharing recipes now?!? Just shoot me.

[emoji16]
(Might try that, actually)

Back