Android Auto / Apple Carplay tips and tricks

Does anyone know a way to pause music while playing a playlist other than rotating the Commander knob to the pause button on the screen? Theres buttons for forward and back on the steering wheel, but no pause.

Also is there an easy way to zoom in and out on the Apple Map using a knob, or do you have to move the cursor over to the +- buttons?

This is my number one complaint with an excellent car. It seems like a huge oversight. I'm listening to an audio book, I need to listen to something else -right now! for just a minute. Seems like the call hang-up button would be good for double duty, since I won't be listening during a call anyway.

Mazda, please fix this!

Can the regular charging USB cable that comes with android phones be used for AA or does it need to be a compatible 2.1 USB cable that fits one's particular phone?
Thx

I've been enjoying the new vehicle and Android Auto, but I noticed that Text Messages and even Calls often don't come through while connected to AA. If anyone else experiences this, it is a COMMON problem.

There is a massive thread on Android support that is talking about it, but no resolution yet. It seems to impact Android Pie more than older versions. Sigh. Hopefully this help someone, or at least reassures them a bit?

https://support.google.com/androidauto/thread/3387506?hl=en

I have a new CX-5 PP and am using an iPhone. Everything seems to work well except for the Navigation volume - there isn't any. The upcoming directions show it on the screen, but I never get any voice prompts like "Turn right onto Main Street in 0.5 miles" I've tried 2 different iPhones (13), tried turning the volume control up on both the phone and Nav system, made sure the volume icon in Carplay was not on mute, etc. but still no voice directions. I hear voice for reading texts, Siri, music, etc., just not Navigation. It's prob just a simple item, but I can't find it.

Last edited:
I have a new CX-5 PP and am using an iPhone. Everything seems to work well except for the Navigation volume - there isn't any. The upcoming directions show it on the screen, but I never get any voice prompts like "Turn right onto Main Street in 0.5 miles" I've tried 2 different iPhones (13), tried turning the volume control up on both the phone and Nav system, made sure the volume icon in Carplay was not on mute, etc. but still no voice directions. I hear voice for reading texts, Siri, music, etc., just not Navigation. It's prob just a simple item, but I can't find it.
If it's like the Mazda nav, you have to turn up the radio volume WHILE it is giving you nav instructions. If it's so low you can't hear it while driving, hopefully, you can set up a trip while the engine is off and listen for it speaking - then crank that audio up!

If it's like the Mazda nav, you have to turn up the radio volume WHILE it is giving you nav instructions. If it's so low you can't hear it while driving, hopefully, you can set up a trip while the engine is off and listen for it speaking - then crank that audio up!
Thanks, yes that worked. Odd though that the default volume is down at zero, and that if music is playing, the default volume goes to music. I had to NOT start Spotify, put in a simple navigation to a local place, start to drive there and turned up the volume a LOT. Now it works like it should.

This is my number one complaint with an excellent car. It seems like a huge oversight. I'm listening to an audio book, I need to listen to something else -right now! for just a minute. Seems like the call hang-up button would be good for double duty, since I won't be listening during a call anyway
OK GOOGLE/HEY SIRI...Pause

OK GOOGLE/HEY SIRI...Pause
That's way too slow, doesn't always work, and often the point of wanting to pause is because I need to not have noise. Having to speak defeats that purpose.

The other maddening thing is that the audible playback begins while the infotainment system is still booting and unresponsive with its warnings and stuff. No way to pause it. Can only mute the whole system. Then have to hunt backwards to find my place. Especially sucks when I forget that its muted and running in the background for an indeterminant amount of time.

Back