Protege5 lost all power while driving

:
Mazda Protege 5 2002
Hi, today my P5 radio started to power on and off a few times while running, soon after the car shut down with no power at all, noting, battery is fine, fuses looks good, main relay seems ok, it looks like it has no battery, tries another battery and still dead, any guess?

Your alternator may have died.

Check the voltage at your battery terminals,.. It should be around 13.5 volts with the car running.
If it's only 12V (or less) your alternator isn't charging.

Your ignition switch may have crapped out too, not sending power to the main relay ??

Ignition switch was replaced a month ago, main fuse look ok but Ill check it tomorrow, but nothing turns on totally dead. ECU fuses are ok, battery sparks when touch + and - terminals also tried another battery with jumper cables and nothing.

Last edited:
Put your finger on the main relay and see if it clicks when the key is turned on.

You should hear/see it clicking...

You probably need one of these..

(unless you've got some bad wiring to the relay)

You can pull the relay and check for 12V at the connector.

You should get 12V between battery ground and one of the connector pins (I don't know which one??) When the ignition is turned on.

If you don't have +12V at any terminals then power isn't getting to the relay
(but it's more likely that your relay has failed)

Went now at the car and the alarm was flashing, started like nothing happened, does overheating or any other sensor shuts down the ECU as a protection, don't want to get stuck one more time.

I still think your relay is going bad.

When I got a code for my PRC relay I removed the relay and put power to it.
I got it to click twice then it stopped clicking.

I don't know much about the security system. My car doesn't have it and it's not covered in the service manual.

As far as I know, the ECU doesn't completely shut down the car like how your car did. You should still have dash lights and the car should turn over.

Check the battery terminals. Mine did the same thing about a year ago. There was corrosion on the inside of the battery terminal where it mounts to the post and was preventing a good connection to the battery. I spend 10 bucks to replace the battery terminals and it's been perfectly fine ever since.

Good call ^^^
I have yet to replace my battery terminals.

So I went ahead and ordered these.

They should be here in about 3 1/2 months which if fine because in not putting them on till it's warm out again.

I've had this same issue with my second pro5. The problem with mine was the battery terminals. I was using the black and red coated ones. Car ran fine after I swapped them out with new ones that weren't paint coated.

Back