2017~2024 Apple Carplay Update cost

WAYNESOL

:
MAZDA CX5 TOURING
When I bought my 2017 CX5 just over a year ago, Mazda was heavily seeding the car buying community with the message that models would be available for Apple Carplay upgrade. Mazda came late to the game in offering Apple Carplay capability. And get this, they now want $500 ($199 for the parts and $300 for labor) to do this upgrade! Wow, Mazda sure got this wrong. The cost to customers should have been zero or minimal. Hear this: This is a deal breaker for me, Mazda. You just broke my trust in you and destroyed my brand loyalty.

How to tell when sales is lying?

I was quoted $400 before taxes. You are on the high end given your location perhaps:
https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/sho...pple-CarPlay&p=6620579&viewfull=1#post6620579

My sales person said they would upgrade my 2017 for free when Apple Car Play came out in late 2017. Needless to say CP did not come out in 2017 & they are not offering me the upgrade for free.

How do you tell when a salesperson is lying? When they open there mouth.

Quoted $499 to upgrade in Virginia.

Haha they're salespeople. It's got to be in writing, otherwise it doesn't count. Maybe if you call around you could find a slightly lower price. There are threads here for doing it yourself to save labor costs, which is about half the total price.

Guys, you forget than more than salespeople, they are car salesman!!! Lol.[emoji23][emoji23] Anything to make a sale!!

It's a system upgrade, Mazda doesn't need to give it for free. Every other manufacturer who's made it retroactive has had a fee, unless it was advised at time of sale that it was coming and/or it was in writing it was a no cost upgrade.

If you don't like the cost it's on you to sort out another way. If you still don't like the cost, don't do the upgrade. It's not being forced on you.

Options:
- find another, more reasonably priced dealer
- buy the parts online, DIY firmware upgrade, DIY parts install
- buy the parts online, DIY firmware upgrade, have a car audio shop install the hardware
- buy the parts online, pay dealer for firmware upgrade, DIY parts install
- buy the parts online, pay dealer for firmware upgrade, have a car audio shop install the hardware (I can't imagine there would be any / enough savings for this to be worth it)

If you want a hassle free warranty, your only choice is to have a dealer do it.

The part + kit are available on eBay for $155.
With eBay coupon if you have one, 10% off can be found.
You can DIY the upgrade (firmware to v70 + installation).
There are several detailed videos on youtube ones can follow.
My co-worker is going to do it this weekend.
He got his part+kit for $140 from eBay.

...It's got to be in writing, otherwise it doesn't count.....

That's not true. When a sales person lies to you, with the hope you take action on that lie (ie buy a car) there is a legal word for that scenario. It's called fraud.
Fraud is defined as an intentionally false representation made with the intent to mislead the listener. In order for it to be considered fraud, these three things must be met.

1. The lie has to be intentional
2. The person making the lie must have something to gain from it
3. The lie must have caused harm to you. It can be physical harm or financial harm.

Given the vast amount of people who heard the exact same thing from Mazda sales people, there is very little room for doubt that this lie came from people at the top of the Mazda corporation, and passed down to their sales people. Customers all over the country were told the exact same version of the lie. That's not a coincidence. It's fraud.

I'm taking my vehicle in on Saturday for an Oil Change. I'll get a quote for all of you. It'll be in Canadian dollars so that will help with our Canadian friends. I'm going to haggle a bit and see if they'll drop the price.

That's not true. When a sales person lies to you, with the hope you take action on that lie (ie buy a car) there is a legal word for that scenario. It's called fraud.
Fraud is defined as an intentionally false representation made with the intent to mislead the listener. In order for it to be considered fraud, these three things must be met.

1. The lie has to be intentional
2. The person making the lie must have something to gain from it
3. The lie must have caused harm to you. It can be physical harm or financial harm.

Given the vast amount of people who heard the exact same thing from Mazda sales people, there is very little room for doubt that this lie came from people at the top of the Mazda corporation, and passed down to their sales people. Customers all over the country were told the exact same version of the lie. That's not a coincidence. It's fraud.

Maybe. Although I wasn't wearing a wire. (shrug)

Maybe. Although I wasn't wearing a wire. (shrug)

When you have hundreds or thousands of people reporting the same thing, you don't need a wire. That's enough for a class action law-suite.
It's understandable if you have one or two sales people across the country making up this lie, that you'll get AA/ACP for free though a software update if you buy this car. But when you have hundreds or thousands of dealerships telling their potential buyers the exact same thing, then it becomes a little suspicious, it starts to sound like the lie was organized.

When you have hundreds or thousands of people reporting the same thing, you don't need a wire. That's enough for a class action law-suite.
It's understandable if you have one or two sales people across the country making up this lie, that you'll get AA/ACP for free though a software update if you buy this car. But when you have hundreds or thousands of dealerships telling their potential buyers the exact same thing, then it becomes a little suspicious, it starts to sound like the lie was organized.

I haven't seen hundreds or thousands reporting this here or on the other Mazda forums. If hundreds or thousands dealerships (does Mazda have thousands of dealerships?) were doing this, then the users reporting it would be in the tens of thousands, right?

When i was shopping around, none of the dealers I went to made such a claim. If this was organized by the manufacturer, i would expect to have heard this claim at least once, but in Jan 2017 everyone I spoke with was consistent in telling me that heard it was coming, but made no other claims.

But there are plenty of sales people that don't pay much attention to the product and make assumptions. If i had to guess if something was a conspiracy or just ignorance, I have to go with the simpler answer that matches the general facts, so I pick ignorance.

I haven't seen hundreds or thousands reporting this here or on the other Mazda forums. If hundreds or thousands dealerships (does Mazda have thousands of dealerships?) were doing this, then the users reporting it would be in the tens of thousands, right?

When i was shopping around, none of the dealers I went to made such a claim. If this was organized by the manufacturer, i would expect to have heard this claim at least once, but in Jan 2017 everyone I spoke with was consistent in telling me that heard it was coming, but made no other claims.

But there are plenty of sales people that don't pay much attention to the product and make assumptions. If i had to guess if something was a conspiracy or just ignorance, I have to go with the simpler answer that matches the general facts, so I pick ignorance.

Take a look at the original AA/ACP thread from last year (link below). It was a poll, in which 35% of respondents bought the car expecting it. If you read that thread, and many others like it, you will see a trend in which Mazda sales people promised buyers that AA/ACP would come as a free software upgrade. Of course not everyone was promised that. For most people its not even a factor when deciding to make a purchase.

https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123861528-New-AA-ACP-Thread-(with-Poll)

I was told I had the updated hardware (the correct USB ports in my console) and would only need a free software update...should have gotten it in writing...

Fremont Mazda in CA...lying (verifies) since 2018...

Take a look at the original AA/ACP thread from last year (link below). It was a poll, in which 35% of respondents bought the car expecting it. If you read that thread, and many others like it, you will see a trend in which Mazda sales people promised buyers that AA/ACP would come as a free software upgrade. Of course not everyone was promised that. For most people its not even a factor when deciding to make a purchase.

https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123861528-New-AA-ACP-Thread-(with-Poll)

Just because people have expectations doesn't mean there was a conspiracy to promote false information. Many people were promoting false information on the forums claiming "all we need is software" while many others reminded people that the USB ports didn't put out a enough juice to keep up with battery drain.

Mazda never made a statement that said the upgrade would be free, or that it would not require hardware.

I am not saying it was handled the best it could have been handled, but anyone that took the word of the salesman, and had nothing in writing, should not be blaming Mazda. Maybe the trend to provide false information is prevalent in certain areas of the country. The multiple dealers I visited made no such claim, and all honestly said they didn't know.

We bought the car in June 2017. The salesperson said, "I think it'll be available end of the year." It's 2018.

I didn't put much stock in what he said because we had done so much research into the product line-up that I could have sold him the car.

Had CarPlay installed in my 2016 CX-5 last week at Castrucci Mazda in Centerville, Ohio. Quoted $199 + labor via email, which came out to $367.40 (not including tax). They had a 15% off Mazda Accessories coupon on their website, which they accepted without issue. My final cost (including $10 in "shop supplies") was $370.48 including tax. It took them about 2 hours to complete the upgrade. I've had no issues since.

Was quoted $425 at Mazda dealer in Fremont.
My co-worker DIY with kit he bought from eBay for $144.
It took him 30 mins of firmware update to v70.
And, less than 1hr for hardware.
Info is available everywhere on the web.
Many DIY videos on youtube as well.
Low risk if you want to save a couple hundreds $$$.

I have Android phone. I heard that Android Auto is still not as good as CarPlay.
I will wait for a bit myself.
Dealers' price might also come down. They have lots of interest from customers.
Their charge will not come down soon.

Back