Wheel size for second set

:
2018 CX-5 GT PP
Assuming I do buy a newish CX-5 GT, they come with 19" wheels and all-season tires. Sounds like the stock Toyo's are adequate but nothing special for summer conditions.

Living in the Colorado mountains, a winter set of wheels and tires is a required purchase (can I build that into my financing?). Looking at Tirerack, that could easily be an $1,800 hit for wheels and tires.

I'm still confused on the 17" vs 19" thing. Really don't care about cosmetics, just performance with a nod to affordability.

17" will have a narrower profile, better for deep snow. Cheaper, too. The only way to go.

Agree with Shado.
Don't know if you can finance. I got mine on Tirerack. Found a nice set of black rims $99 each. Literally bought the last set and they've never been restocked TMK. Set of Blizzaks for $130 each with $70 rebate. Just over a grand with shipping.

Agreed. I got 17" Blizzak WS80's on mine in 225/65R17 size. Cheaper, and better profile for snow.

That said, it is Colorado, I won't be looking for Blizzaks on the next go around as they are just getting worn down here in Denver with hardly any snow so far this year. Though if you are doing more mountain driving, then go for it. Obviously way more snow up there! Kinda miss living in the mountains myself. (shrug)

I'm in Alberta. 19" stock all seasons. I also bought my winters in 17". Much cheaper. To answer your other question - the dealer was happy to add the wheels/tires into the deal and include it in financing.

If you can finance/purchase your winter wheel/tire set from someone other than the dealer, that's usually the better way to go. Tires will likely cost less, and you'll have more of a selection of rims for the tires to go on. If I were you, I'd get a cheap set of 17" rims and buy the best winter tires I could get for them. You'd probably end up paying less than if you were to get a set from the dealer.

Also don't forget about the TPMS sensors, if you want to keep the warning light off. OEM sensors can run $70-100 each, but you can find comparable aftermarket/reconditioned TPMS sensors on eBay (I bought a set of 4 for $60). Just search the OEM part number on ebay, and make sure the sensors are confirmed as an OEM replacement and are on a 315 MHz frequency.

Last edited:
^I strongly disagree w/buying tires at the dealer- but you can check I guess. 225/65-17 mounted/balanced ready to bolt on from Discount tire or Tirerack- 1k should do it...well almost forgot you need TPMS sensors now they bang you 55ea for those- but still..I'm running and highly recommend 225/65-17 Mich X-ice Xi2 on cheapy but fine sport edition alloys (I blacked mine out) for 1200 shipped- 1100 after 100 Mich rebate which ends today. The Michelins do better when its not snowing vs Blizzaks and will likely wear better but that's up to you- Blizzaks will have an edge if/when the going gets real bad but I have to say its less than I would have guessed- X-ice is damn good tire- monte tested and approved what more could you want other than Volbeat's new double live album from the homeland 7- you on to this? Haven't heard it all but its good- 7 shots fkn awesome(guitar)

Last edited:
^I strongly disagree w/buying tires at the dealer- but you can check I guess. 225/65-17 mounted/balanced ready to bolt on from Discount tire or Tirerack- 1k should do it...well almost forgot you need TPMS sensors now they bang you 55ea for those- but still..I'm running and highly recommend 225/65-17 Mich X-ice Xi2 on cheapy but fine sport edition gray alloys for 1200 shipped- 1100 after 100 Mich rebate which ends today. The Michelins do better when its not snowing vs Blizzaks and will likely wear better but that's up to you- Blizzaks will have an edge if/when the going gets real bad but I have to say its less than I would have guessed- X-ice is damn good tire.

X-ice will probably be what I try next time around. There's not enough snow on the ground all winter long and these Blizzaks are wearing faster as a result. Though they are nice for the cold mornings too.

When I bought my 2014 CX5 GT in 2015 my local dealer gave me an exceptional deal on a set of new 17" rims they had in stock that were OEM for the then defunct CX7, on which I installed Blizzak's. As mentioned in previous posts, 17" rims and tires are WAY cheaper than 19", work better in snow and also recommended by many Mazda dealers. NOW, I have just traded up to a new 2018 CX5 GT and my dealer switched my tires and rims over to the new vehicle BUT had to install a set of rim mounted TPM sensors which were not on the 2014 model. I almost bought a new set of the sensors from COSTCO but when I talked to my Mazda dealer about their Mazda OEM sensors they mentioned in passing(I hadn't mentioned my COSTCO visit) that there are non-OEM sensors out there with stems made from metal which they have seen come in with rust on them, which could possibly lead at some point to leakage and/or sensor failure. The 2018 CX5 OEM ones have stems made from plastic and rubber which I then definitely opted to buy. BTW, Mazda does carry sensors with metal stems on other models/years but I would avoid them if possible.

Now, winter tires are always a discussion with no definitive answer as to the best brand/model to buy. I opted for the Blizzak's over the XIce as they had a slightly more aggressive tread, making them a bit more suitable to our snowy conditions here in the northeast. On ice I'm sure they would be much of a muchness compared to the XIce. NOW, I see in recent "Consumer Reports" that the XIce have dropped down 4 places in ranking, behind Cooper Discover True North, Hankook Winter I*cept and Continental Winter Contacts. Sadly the Bridgestone Blizzaks have dropped to 7th place. I have read a lot of positive comments on the Continentals. I might be due for a new set next winter so will watch the threads for recommendations.

Last edited:
Now, winter tires are always a discussion with no definitive answer as to the best brand/model to buy. I opted for the Blizzak's over the XIce as they had a slightly more aggressive tread, making them a bit more suitable to our snowy conditions here in the northeast. On ice I'm sure they would be much of a muchness compared to the XIce. NOW, I see in recent "Consumer Reports" that the XIce have dropped down 4 places in ranking, behind Cooper Discover True North, Hankook Winter I*cept and Continental Winter Contacts. Sadly the Bridgestone Blizzaks have dropped to 7th place. I have read a lot of positive comments on the Continentals. I might be due for a new set next winter so will watch the threads for recommendations.

Actually, CR currently lists Blizzak as tied with Nokian for second (68 score) with X-Ice top (74 score). However, of the three, the DM-V2 is the only one with an excellent Ice Braking rating. X-ice also ranks lower for ride comfort than the other Recommended tires. Cooper, Conti, General, and Blizzak WS-80 are lighter-duty, cheaper passenger tires so not in the same category.

Actually, CR currently lists Blizzak as tied with Nokian for second (68 score) with X-Ice top (74 score). However, of the three, the DM-V2 is the only one with an excellent Ice Braking rating. X-ice also ranks lower for ride comfort than the other Recommended tires. Cooper, Conti, General, and Blizzak WS-80 are lighter-duty, cheaper passenger tires so not in the same category.

My bad COmtn, I do stand corrected in my CR listings, although upon rechecking my CR 2019 Buying Guide under "Winter/Snow Car Tires" the Conti's are second , and the Michelin's tie for 3rd with Nokian. The Blizzak WS80's tie for 4th place. Unfortunately the 2019 Buying Guide did not include ratings on SUV Winter tires. Now, I did consider the DM2 when I first started looking but Mazda and COSTCO(where I bought my WS80's) both suggested the WS80's would be fine on my CX5, and were considerably cheaper. What tires do you run on your CX5?

I think you are over analyzing this, my friend.
I get it. I was there once. I have the DMV2. I did some research, probably too much as well, and settled on those.
I get it... I wanted the best, too.
Nothing on my short list would have been bad. I don't think you can go wrong with anything on the top 10 list.

I run WS80's and they have been rock solid and they were a total tank in some nasty snow/ice I drove heading back down to Denver on HWY 285 last Monday in that nasty snow and ice.

Don't think you can really go wrong with any of those choices.

I bought these because they were misprinted at $87/tire. They are fine.

Last edited:
I think you are over analyzing this, my friend.
I get it. I was there once. I have the DMV2. I did some research, probably too much as well, and settled on those.
I get it... I wanted the best, too.
Nothing on my short list would have been bad. I don't think you can go wrong with anything on the top 10 list.

7eregrine...you are absolutely right. I overanalyze just about everything I buy. I just need to be as certain as I can be that I made the right choice. But at least I can say that I rarely regret any of my purchase decisions. (2thumbs)

After much deliberation I finally bit the bullet in early December(2019) and bought the Bridgestone DM-V2's. For a winter tire they seem quite quiet. We haven't had much snow yet so no chance to really test them out. I chose them over the WS-90's as they had more sipes.

After much deliberation I finally bit the bullet in early December(2019) and bought the Bridgestone DM-V2's. For a winter tire they seem quite quiet. We haven't had much snow yet so no chance to really test them out. I chose them over the WS-90's as they had more sipes.
I just got these for my Tacoma a week ago. Friday, I get a set of four installed on the new C-X5 with 17 inch alloy rims. We live in far northern NH, where my wife drives 45 minutes to past Mt. Washington to work fours days a week.

Ive been considering some 17s but they dont have the TPMS. Do I really have to have these for 2 months? They dont show the actual tire pressure on the dash anyway and the TPMS warning is too low for my desired pressure. I check my OEM wheels manually and I hardly even need to add air.

Back