Problems with oversize tire and wheel setup?

:
2016 CX-5 GT
I plan on buying a 2016 cx-5 in the summer and I am planning on using the stock wheels for winter tires and getting a different set of tires and wheels for the summer months. I see people getting 20" wheels with 255 wide tires. What are the downsides other than the obvious harsher ride, and more road noise to expect with a size setup like this? Would there be a drastic difference in gas mileage? How about wear and tear on stuff like bushings and shocks, or steering components? Could an oversize tire and wheel set up void a CPO drive train warranty?

I plan on buying a 2016 cx-5 in the summer and I am planning on using the stock wheels for winter tires and getting a different set of tires and wheels for the summer months. I see people getting 20" wheels with 255 wide tires. What are the downsides other than the obvious harsher ride, and more road noise to expect with a size setup like this? Would there be a drastic difference in gas mileage? How about wear and tear on stuff like bushings and shocks, or steering components? Could an oversize tire and wheel set up void a CPO drive train warranty?

Can't see how it will affect the warranty.

You need to keep the o.d. of the tire very close to the o.d. of the OEM tire. You need to decrease the wheel offset to keep the tire from rubbing the strut and keep the tire width down so it doesn't rub the fender. There is no camber adjustment to help with rubbing. You need to keep the new tire & wheel weight close to stock to maintain ride quality. Changes in gas mikeage will be based on the rolling resistance oh the new tire. The closer to OEM wheel weight the less likely you'll have additional wear.

I run 20x8.5 with 255 tires. It will not void your warranty at all. I bought my car brand new and within a week had those wheels on it. My service dept manager congratulated me on the setup. I will not wear anything out. If you run spacers, then that's another story, but simply going to a larger wheel and a smaller tire (keeps the overall diameter the same) will not cause you any problems.

The stock tires on the factory 19" wheels are 19x55. In order to keep the diameter of my larger wheels the same as the originals, I went with a 20x45 size tire. No change in fuel consumption and no noticeable difference in ride quality. No rubbing issues. Love this setup. The 255 sized tire definitely looks a lot better as well, giving the car a much beefier stance.

Back