2018 CX-9 steeting wheel leather cracks

:
2018 CX-9 GT
Anyone else with a 2018 CX-9 have issue with steering wheel leather cracking? My car is just over a year old and this winter several spots on the steering wheel have crack spots on it even though my steering wheel has been treated with leather conditioner. Took it to the dealer and now waiting for Mazda corporate to see if they will replace it. Since 2018 was the first year with heated steering wheel, I am wondering if the cold to heat cycles is the cause of the issue.

Not yet here, have found the leather is very thin and gets nicked very easy. Hope mine doesn't start cracking.

Anyone else with a 2018 CX-9 have issue with steering wheel leather cracking? My car is just over a year old and this winter several spots on the steering wheel have crack spots on it even though my steering wheel has been treated with leather conditioner. Took it to the dealer and now waiting for Mazda corporate to see if they will replace it. Since 2018 was the first year with heated steering wheel, I am wondering if the cold to heat cycles is the cause of the issue.

This is something that should be covered by warranty. On my '12, the black coloring started wearing off of the steering wheel volume and radio station up/down buttons. I thought for sure the dealer would claim normal wear--but they replaced it under warranty with about 1 month left to go on my 36 months.

No cracking on my 2016 Signature after 2 years and 50,000km. It is the Canadian model with heated steering wheel. Never treated with any sort of leather conditioner, but it is always parked indoors which may be the most important factor.

No cracking on my 2016 Signature after 2 years and 50,000km. It is the Canadian model with heated steering wheel. Never treated with any sort of leather conditioner, but it is always parked indoors which may be the most important factor.

I think the UV from the sun is the leather's worst enemy.

Yup. This is why I encourage everyone to tint their windshields with LLumar Clear Window Tint Series. It not only helps to cool the cabin but it saves the dashboard and front leather seats from UV rays. It's inexpensive protection.

Does anyone know if tinting the windshield with the clear UV tint affects the HUD display/reflection in any way?

Took it to the dealer I got the car from and service manager says normal wear and refused to send pictures to Mazda Canada for warranty coverage. Took it to another dealer and they agreed not normal and ordered a replacement.

Took it to the dealer I got the car from and service manager says normal wear and refused to send pictures to Mazda Canada for warranty coverage. Took it to another dealer and they agreed not normal and ordered a replacement.

Glad it's on the mend! Sucks that you had to go through the hassle though.

I hope you let service manager #1 that you have a new dealer going forward.

I've had cars with leather steering wheels since 2000, and I've kept them for 7-8 years each, and never had that happen. Normal wear, my butt.

I'd drive it over to the service manager and show him your new wheel. Then drive away.

Back