Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Block Drain on 2.5L

  1. #1
    Registered Member


    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    35

    Block Drain on 2.5L

    Wanting to do a coolant change.
    Location of Block Drain plug and can I reach it?
    Other plan-
    Remove thermostat and leave radiator drain open while idleing the vehicle with garden hose in. Let it drain and fill with distilled water and drain 4 or 5 times. this will leave it with mostly nothing but distilled water in the block then fill up with concentrate.
    So the question becomes if you simply drain the system at the radiator what percentage of the entire system is drained? If I were to have the block fill of disitlled water then topped off with straight AF what would my ratio end up being?

    Considering this fluid in full strength
    RAVENOL J4D2092 Coolant Antifreeze - HJC Hybrid Japanese Coolant Protect FL22 Concentrate (5 Liter)
    https://www.amazon.com/RAVENOL-J4D20...AVENOL+J4D2092

    Any other fully compatable FL-22 coolant that can be recommended?
    Is there a previpous thread on full coolant flush change on the 2.5L? I find the search function to be smarter than me. Can't seem to narrow down the results.
    What makes your life worth living?
    2014 Grand Touring dirt bike/street bike hauler and grocery getter

  2. #2
    i-ACTIV AWD Aficionado Kedis82ZE8's Avatar
    Donated: $25

    '15 CX-5 GT AWD w/tech

    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    WA State
    Posts
    4,811
    Blog Entries
    6
    Here is some info from FSM.. Can't see I can find a related thread either.


    '15 CX-5 GT 2.5L w/tech package - 53K Miles - https://www.oemvehicleparts.com/ (30% off "shipping" with code "MAZDAS247")

  3. #3
    Registered Member


    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    35
    I spose I could drain what I can from the radiator and see what the measured amount is. Looks like I would like to be able to drain half the stated system capacity of 4 quarts or so. My plan is to flush the sytem with tap water from the hose at an idle with the T-stat out running a garden hose running into the fill cap with drain plug out. Follow up with 4 or 5 fill, idle, drain of distilled water, and then add the correct amount of straight AF to bring me to a 50/50 mix. It will be a math project, hmm if a train left Chicago at 50mph and another left New York....
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

  4. #4
    Registered Member yrwei52's Avatar
    Donated: $8

    2016 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech

    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Plano, Texas, USA
    Posts
    8,428

    Arrow Block Drain on 2.5L

    Quote Originally Posted by TTBadDog View Post
    Wanting to do a coolant change.
    Location of Block Drain plug and can I reach it?
    Other plan-
    Remove thermostat and leave radiator drain open while idleing the vehicle with garden hose in. Let it drain and fill with distilled water and drain 4 or 5 times. this will leave it with mostly nothing but distilled water in the block then fill up with concentrate.
    So the question becomes if you simply drain the system at the radiator what percentage of the entire system is drained? If I were to have the block fill of disitlled water then topped off with straight AF what would my ratio end up being?

    Considering this fluid in full strength
    RAVENOL J4D2092 Coolant Antifreeze - HJC Hybrid Japanese Coolant Protect FL22 Concentrate (5 Liter)
    https://www.amazon.com/RAVENOL-J4D20...AVENOL+J4D2092

    Any other fully compatable FL-22 coolant that can be recommended?
    Is there a previpous thread on full coolant flush change on the 2.5L? I find the search function to be smarter than me. Can't seem to narrow down the results.
    Based on Mazda CX-5 Service Manual, there's no drain plug on engine block like many others. Any kind of flush is the only way to replace the engine coolant like the Step 4 stated. I wouldn't bother to remove the thermostat, but just let the engine idling and heater is at maximum with garden hose in and radiator drain on like you mentioned.

    I definitely would use Mazda genuine FL22 coolant.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mazda CX-5 Service Manual
    ENGINE COOLANT REPLACEMENT [SKYACTIV-G 2.0, SKYACTIV-G 2.5]

    NOTE:
    ● If the ďFL22Ē mark is shown on or near the cooling system cap, use Mazda Genuine FL22 engine coolant.
    ● FL22 type engine coolant is shipped as a diluted solution. Use the solution as is when replacing coolant.

    1. Remove the cooling system cap.
    2. Remove the service hole cover (installed to front under cover No.1) used to drain the engine coolant.
    3. Loosen the radiator drain plug and drain the engine coolant into a container.
    4. Flush the cooling system with water until all traces of color are gone.
    5. Let the system drain completely.
    6. Tighten the radiator drain plug.
    7. Referring to the following chart, select the correct volume percentage of the water and engine coolant. Antifreeze solution mixture percentage (Except FL22 type engine coolant)
    8. Refill the engine coolant from the radiator filler neck until it is close to the top of the radiator filler neck.
    9. Refill the engine coolant into the coolant reserve tank up to the F mark on the tank.
    10. Install the cooling system cap.
    CAUTION:
    ● If the high engine coolant temperature warning light flashes, stop the engine to lower the engine coolant temperature and prevent overheating. Then, verify the malfunctioning part and repair or replace it.
    11. Start the engine and warm up the engine by idling.
    12. After the engine warms up, perform the following steps. At this time, be careful of the engine coolant temperature to prevent overheating.
    NOTE:
    ● If the accelerator pedal is depressed continuously for a specified time, the engine speed may decrease to the idle speed. This is due to the fuel cut control operation, which prevents overheating, and it does not indicate a malfunction.
    a. Run the engine at 2,500 rpm for 5 min.
    b. Maintain the engine speed at 3,000 rpm for 5 s, and then idle.
    c. Repeat Steps (1), (2) several times.
    13. Stop the engine, and inspect the engine coolant level after the engine coolant temperature decreases. If it is low, repeat Steps 8ó12.
    14. Inspect for engine coolant leakage. (See ENGINE COOLANT LEAKAGE INSPECTION [SKYACTIV-G 2.0, SKYACTIV-G 2.5].)
    15. Install the service hole cover.

  5. #5
    Registered Member CX-5um's Avatar

    13' CX-5 and 16' Mazda6 both Touring w/Tech/Bose

    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Glendale, AZ
    Posts
    3,350
    Quote Originally Posted by yrwei52 View Post
    Based on Mazda CX-5 Service Manual, there's no drain plug on engine block like many others. Any kind of flush is the only way to replace the engine coolant like the Step 4 stated. I wouldn't bother to remove the thermostat, but just let the engine idling and heater is at maximum with garden hose in and radiator drain on like you mentioned.

    I definitely would use Mazda genuine FL22 coolant.
    Question regarding the instructions at step 12c. Repeat step 1, 2 several times...the heck does that mean?

    Question regarding step 13. If low repeat Steps 8-12....will it be safe to open the radiator cap? Can't I just fill the reserve tank instead?

    12. After the engine warms up, perform the following steps. At this time, be careful of the engine coolant temperature to prevent overheating.
    NOTE:
    * If the accelerator pedal is depressed continuously for a specified time, the engine speed may decrease to the idle speed. This is due to the fuel cut control operation, which prevents overheating, and it does not indicate a malfunction.
    a. Run the engine at 2,500 rpm for 5 min.
    b. Maintain the engine speed at 3,000 rpm for 5 s, and then idle.
    c. Repeat Steps (1), (2) several times.
    13. Stop the engine, and inspect the engine coolant level after the engine coolant temperature decreases. If it is low, repeat Steps 8*12.

  6. #6
    Registered Member

    2013 Mazda CX-5 Sport FWD Auto

    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    FL
    Posts
    434
    You want to do steps 12a and 12b several times to ensure the coolant circulated throughout the system. Donít just pop the cap open immediately or youíll severely scald yourself. Piping hot coolant will fly out.

    Let the engine cool off and inspect. Circulating the coolant and checking afterwards will ensure the system is filled to capacity and not low. Top off the radiator and repeat if low. You canít top it off via the reserve tank.

  7. #7
    Registered Member Conrad 16.5's Avatar

    2016.5 CX-5 Grand Touring AWD titanium/black 2016 Miata Club

    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Northern Illinois
    Posts
    1,010
    Quote Originally Posted by TTBadDog View Post
    Wanting to do a coolant change.
    Location of Block Drain plug and can I reach it?
    Other plan-
    Remove thermostat and leave radiator drain open while idleing the vehicle with garden hose in. Let it drain and fill with distilled water and drain 4 or 5 times. this will leave it with mostly nothing but distilled water in the block then fill up with concentrate.
    So the question becomes if you simply drain the system at the radiator what percentage of the entire system is drained? If I were to have the block fill of disitlled water then topped off with straight AF what would my ratio end up being?

    Considering this fluid in full strength
    RAVENOL J4D2092 Coolant Antifreeze - HJC Hybrid Japanese Coolant Protect FL22 Concentrate (5 Liter)
    https://www.amazon.com/RAVENOL-J4D20...AVENOL+J4D2092

    Any other fully compatable FL-22 coolant that can be recommended?
    Is there a previpous thread on full coolant flush change on the 2.5L? I find the search function to be smarter than me. Can't seem to narrow down the results.
    15 liters! That's a lot of coolant!!! I bought the same stuff from Amazon but it was a 5 liter jug for $35. It seems that this jug is no longer available from Amazon.

    RAVENOL J4D2092 Coolant Antifreeze - HJC Hybrid Japanese Coolant Protect FL22 Concentrate (5 Liter) $35.47
    "Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

  8. #8
    Registered Member

    cx5 gt +pp 2018

    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    arizona
    Posts
    338
    c. Repeat Steps (1), (2) several times

    would be to ensure the all air is moved out of the cooling paths/low spots and engine to reach optimal temps for the thermostat to open the secondary pathway.
    The water pump flow would also be higher at higher rpms because its based on the crankshaft rpms (engine rpms) so effectively more rpms increase the flow speed. Some manuals even recommend to,wait for the fans to kick in and checking pipes after thermostat.
    Ideally the coolant expansion reservoir should be highest point.
    Its imperative there is no air pockets in the system.

  9. #9
    Registered Member

    cx5 gt +pp 2018

    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    arizona
    Posts
    338
    Fill the coolant as much as you can through the radiator cap, wait for coolant to settle and refill again to the top of radiator if needed then close radiator cap and only then then start the car. do not open the radiator cap anymore.
    any additional coolant needed could be filled through the expansion tank, as the engine runs and self bleeds the air, the level may drop inside the expansion tank.
    the cap on the expansion tank can be open at the time and keep refilling if needed. Engine has to be running.
    After the whole procedure, check after few hours later when the engine is cold and refill if needed.
    Check again in a day or two on cold engine and refill if needed. Do not overfill the expansion tank. If overfilled additional coolant can be drawn out with syringe. Wear proper gloves and be diligent.

  10. #10
    Registered Member CX-5um's Avatar

    13' CX-5 and 16' Mazda6 both Touring w/Tech/Bose

    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Glendale, AZ
    Posts
    3,350
    Quote Originally Posted by cz5gt View Post
    Fill the coolant as much as you can through the radiator cap, wait for coolant to settle and refill again to the top of radiator if needed then close radiator cap and only then then start the car. do not open the radiator cap anymore.
    any additional coolant needed could be filled through the expansion tank, as the engine runs and self bleeds the air, the level may drop inside the expansion tank.
    the cap on the expansion tank can be open at the time and keep refilling if needed. Engine has to be running.
    After the whole procedure, check after few hours later when the engine is cold and refill if needed.
    Check again in a day or two on cold engine and refill if needed. Do not overfill the expansion tank. If overfilled additional coolant can be drawn out with syringe. Wear proper gloves and be diligent.
    Thanks...This deviates from the official instructions a bit but is the process I was leaning more towards. In other words **I don't want to have to open that radiator cap multiple times**. I'm at 109-110k miles so in the spring 2020 its definitely a next project.

    You could fill radiator to full, put heater on high, rev a bit and fluid will be sucked into system, fill more, repeat process until you can't no more. Fill expansion tank to full. Cool off. Check levels.

    What do you guys think?

  11. #11
    Registered Member

    cx5 gt +pp 2018

    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    arizona
    Posts
    338
    No need to put heater on max I think but later when you finish its a good test to see if there is residual air.
    You would need to thermostat to open so that coolant circulates everywhere.
    I think in the repair manual for 2015 cx5 you could see the diagram with all pipes.

    So preferrably dont do it on a cold day

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-22-2013, 10:57 PM
  2. Wtb built or stock short block, long block,complete engine
    By Cmezz331 in forum Completed Transactions
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 10-05-2011, 11:51 PM
  3. Where is the location of cooling system drain plug on block?
    By ABigBadZebra in forum Mazda Protege
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-09-2009, 02:58 AM
  4. Replies: 64
    Last Post: 03-18-2007, 02:49 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •