Do I need cross bars to install a ski rack? (CX-9 2014)

profitoral

:
future CX-9 owner
Hi,

I have a 2014 CX-9 and I'm planning on getting a ski rack.

By looking at Mazda site and these forums it seems like having the roof rack and cross bars is the base to be able to install a ski rack. But the ski racks (like the yakima and Thule on Mazda site) seems to attach to the roof rack and not to the cross bars.

So my question is, are the cross bars really needed if I only plan to install the ski attachment?

Thanks in advance.
= P

Ha. I finished running through all this. Mine is newer, but same principle.

You need two things to put on a ski rack or roof box. You need roof rails (which run front to back) and you need cross bars (which run, wait for it, across the car).

That part is easy enough.

If you use Mazda parts, the rails bolt right to the car and the bars bolt right to the rail. Then you can put the ski rack/box/whatever onto the cross bars.

If you aren't using Mazda parts, you need to buy something to adapt Thule's cross bars to Mazda's rails or roof. These are the foot packs you can buy. They typically run $300 to $400.

So, long story short, use the Mazda OEM parts on your car as they are far, far cheaper.

Do you have anything on the roof of your car now?

FWIW, consider a roof box instead of a ski rack. No need to sand blast your skis driving out to Tahoe.

You could use those "Seasucker" suction cup ski racks. They are the only type of roof-mounted ski racks I'm aware of that do not require both rails and cross bars. The other option is a hitch mounted rack (which I personally hate). Otherwise, MattGoose is right, you need both the rails and the cross bars.

See this link for the Seasucker stuff, it's actually pretty cool if you don't want cross bars.
http://www.urotuning.com/SeaSucker-...MIo5TKwImc3wIVICCtBh3AAwo9EAQYAiABEgJ5afD_BwE

Ha. I finished running through all this. Mine is newer, but same principle.

You need two things to put on a ski rack or roof box. You need roof rails (which run front to back) and you need cross bars (which run, wait for it, across the car).

That part is easy enough.

If you use Mazda parts, the rails bolt right to the car and the bars bolt right to the rail. Then you can put the ski rack/box/whatever onto the cross bars.

If you aren't using Mazda parts, you need to buy something to adapt Thule's cross bars to Mazda's rails or roof. These are the foot packs you can buy. They typically run $300 to $400.

So, long story short, use the Mazda OEM parts on your car as they are far, far cheaper.
I get it now, the ski rack (or whatever) is mounted on top of the cross bars. I thought that it would be mounted on top of the rails and I was wondering if I needed the cross bars then.
I guess, as you mentioned, that there are models in the market that can attach directly to the rails but they are as expensive or more than the Mazda ones, right?.

Do you have anything on the roof of your car now?

FWIW, consider a roof box instead of a ski rack. No need to sand blast your skis driving out to Tahoe.

I don't have anything on the roof yet. I was considering a roof box but worried that they will be much more expensive than just ski racks and I haven't needed extra storage so far.
And second, that they might be a pain to mount and unmount vs the ski racks.

Thanks for your comments!

You could use those "Seasucker" suction cup ski racks. They are the only type of roof-mounted ski racks I'm aware of that do not require both rails and cross bars. The other option is a hitch mounted rack (which I personally hate). Otherwise, MattGoose is right, you need both the rails and the cross bars.

See this link for the Seasucker stuff, it's actually pretty cool if you don't want cross bars.
http://www.urotuning.com/SeaSucker-...MIo5TKwImc3wIVICCtBh3AAwo9EAQYAiABEgJ5afD_BwE
I actually have a INNO MV276 Magnet Ski Rack that I used for many years in my previous Audi but the 2014 CX-9 doesn't have a fully flat roof and I'm a little worried about the magnet at freeway speeds. I haven't been able to confirm if it's ok on the CX-9 roof, otherwise I would just keep using them.

So I'll have to check if the Seasuckers don't need a perfect flat surface, do you know by any chance?

Thanks!

I actually have a INNO MV276 Magnet Ski Rack that I used for many years in my previous Audi but the 2014 CX-9 doesn't have a fully flat roof and I'm a little worried about the magnet at freeway speeds. I haven't been able to confirm if it's ok on the CX-9 roof, otherwise I would just keep using them.

So I'll have to check if the Seasuckers don't need a perfect flat surface, do you know by any chance?

Thanks!

I do not know for sure, but looking at their posted photos, I'd guess a rounded roof isn't an issue. Most of their shots show it mounted on sports cars or sporty SUVs with very rounded roofs (Porsche, Audi, VW, etc). A call into the manuf. would probably tell you for sure.

Back