Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Dink Paranoia

Registered Member

cx5 gt +pp 2018

The sad part is the more you care you bigger chance to get dings. ...and as somebody said even if you park away , somebody will park to you when you get back.
    I miss the old times when cars had plastic stripes for protection by default...no more in the new cars unfortunately.

Donated: $5

2017 CX-5 GT AWD Tech

Quote Originally Posted by cz5gt View Post
    The sad part is the more you care you bigger chance to get dings. ...and as somebody said even if you park away , somebody will park to you when you get back.
    I miss the old times when cars had plastic stripes for protection by default...no more in the new cars unfortunately.
    Those kind of solutions only work against certain shaped doors. Many rear doors have a "point" that can still hit your door above or below the protection. And they're fugly, imho.

I agree it's an infuriating problem that can drive you nuts. Usually caused by thoughtlessness or negligence. BUT, once in awhile the wind might catch the door if someone's not holding tight and rip it out of your hand. Luckily there was no car next to me. So that could happen, too.

But they can often be pulled out, so best to save your sanity and keep it in perspective.

Donated: $45
    CX Moderator

'15 CX-5 Miata GT AWD w/Tech 2.5L

I park in the cripple spot (legally) if there are multiple available or I'm in an area where they are usually unoccupied. But my car also has 125k on it and a peppered bumper cover so I suppose it's not so much the paint but a dent I'm worried about.
    Last edited by Chris_Top_Her; 12-11-2018 at 03:03 AM.

2017 BMW X1

I found a great paintless dent repair guy. They work magic! If youíre unfamiliar, they use special tools to knead the dent out from the inside. For a door ding, they just slide the tool down the window slot. My guy charges $150 to remove up to six dings. Takes him about an hour,

Resident barbarian ColoradoDriver's Avatar

2014 CX-5 Touring AWD

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_Top_Her View Post
    I park in the cripple spot (legally) if there are multiple available or I'm in an area where they are usually unoccupied. But my car also has 125k on it and a peppered bumper cover so I suppose it's not so much the paint but a dent I'm worried about.
    Yeah my front bumper is a mess and I have a couple of dings on one side of the car from parking at the airport.

At this point, it is what it is.
    2014 CX-5 Touring AWD | Jet Black Mica - 79k miles
    01/2013 build | 4/20/2013 delivery

2014 CX-5 AWD GT w/Tech Pkg

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzman12 View Post
    I'm anal in that department as well, and my wife thinks I'm nuts.
    Quote Originally Posted by SE—OR MAZDA View Post
    When I am alone I park far from cars, but with the wife I cannot do that.
    My wife also thought I was nuts but over time, she has come to see the light and also trys to avoid the potential for door nicks.

This is not a disease, it is taking pride in what you own and wanting to keep it looking it's best since that is what gives you pleasure.
    All In The Family
    2019 Mazda CX-5 AWD GT w/PP
    2016 Mazda3 Touring

2014 Mazda CX-5 AWD GT w/Tech Pkg
    2014 BMW E84 xDrive28i - RETIRED (replaced w/2019 CX-5)
    2013 Mazda CX-5 AWD GT w/Tech Pkg
    2013 Mazda MZD3i FWD GT w/Tech Pkg
    2009 BMW E90 328xi - RETIRED (replaced w/2014 E84)

2007 BMW E92 328i - RETIRED (replaced w/2014 CX-5)

2016.5 CX-5 Grand Touring AWD titanium/black

Nothing wrong with parking your car out in BFE. No dings and more walking, both good things.
    "Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Registered Member

None

1. Wrap your car in bubble wrap when you park.

2. Place a big sign on your car that says not to park next to you and hope that nobody does.

3. Make your car a garage queen and donít drive it.

4. Wait for an automaker to come out with a car that has impact resistant plastic body panels like what the early Saturns had.

The first three suggestions are impractical and the fourth one? Who knows how long thatíll be. So there isnít much you can do to prevent dings and dents. Just think how exotic car owners must agonize when it comes to parking their car.

Put some thought into where you park and it sounds like you already do.

Side molding strips help a little but not a lot. For some reason, Mazda does not offer moldings as an accessory. Most auto makers do offer them.

The CX-5 doesnít have a front bumper so itís vulnerable from the front to expensive damage. A new grille probably costs well over $1,000. The rear bumper doesnít look too strong. Some people buy an aftermarket rear bumper protector called Bumper Bully. I donít know how effective it is.

I park in the outer fringes of parking lots where most people donít want to park and I take end spots. It doesnít eliminate dings. It just helps decrease the probability of getting them.

There are two types of people who park next to you when you park in the outer fringes of lots. One parks next to you because they think youíre as considerate and careful as they are and the other wants to irk you because you have a nicer car than they do.

Whatever you do, do not park diagonally and take up two spaces. You can piss someone off if the parking lot becomes crowded and someone needs that second parking space that you took up.

It appears that Mazda is making the CX-5 safer for people by adding lots of accident avoidance technology but making them more susceptible to damage by not having a front bumper and side moldings. Itís not just Mazda though. Other auto makers are doing the same thing.

I once parked my car on a street in which my car was the only one parked on one side of the street. I was sitting in my car with the engine off waiting for someone. A lady drives up and parks her car a few inches right behind me. Just out of curiosity, I got out of my car and politely asked her why she parked so close behind me when the whole side of the street was empty except for my car. Well she got out of her car and walked away in a big huff without saying a word. I must have really rattled her nerves. (LOL).

2017 CX-5 GT AWD Tech

Quote Originally Posted by Conrad 16.5 View Post
    Nothing wrong with parking your car out in BFE. No dings and more walking, both good things.
    Glad to see someone else digs BFE.

Resident barbarian ColoradoDriver's Avatar

2014 CX-5 Touring AWD

Quote Originally Posted by shadonoz View Post
    Glad to see someone else digs BFE.
    Me three! I got dinks, but I still park in Timbuktu.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Registered Member

2014 Mazda 3 sGT. 2019 cx-3 awd touring

I really like the bumper bully,
    what irks me is when people drive around with them on!!! like wtf?
    It's like they care about their car, but they don't care how it looks...??
    haha

I always put it back in my trunk when i'm done.

Quote Originally Posted by Caligula View Post
    The rear bumper doesn*t look too strong. Some people buy an aftermarket rear bumper protector called Bumper Bully. I don*t know how effective it is.

(LOL).

Registered Member

2018 Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring-Premium Pkg. Soul Red

I get my 1st ding within 3 days of buying it. Mall parking lot with no choices of open areas.
    Had it for 1 year now and that is the only one thanks God.

Registered Member

2018 CX-5 GT

I took mine to NYC to a Yankees game a few months back. Parked in the Bronx and was worried the entire game about someone scratching a door or bumper while trying to park. Thankfully I came out of the game and all was good. However, my girl asked me to give her friend a ride home. We didn't have enough room so she had to ride all the way in the back. Then when she climbed out she put a big ol' scratch on the top of the bumper with her high heel!!! Never would have thought her first scratch/ding would come from a damn shoe.
    2018 Mazda CX-5 GT
    2016 Mazda CX-5 T -- sold
    2015 Yamaha FZ09 (Melisandre)
    2012 Yamaha R6 (Lucy) -- laid to rest
    2009 Mazda 3 (Fireball)
    1998 Chevy S-10 (Cindy)

Eternal Blue 2017 CX-5 GT AWD w/Premium

After 25,000 miles and 19 months of ownership, the only ding/scratch on my car is from where I let a shopping cart nudge up against the rear bumper in the parking lot of the grocery store. Not a mark or paint chip anywhere else on the vehicle, and I did it myself. No one else I can blame!

Registered Member

2018 AWD GT Premium Red/Black

I read: Dual Income No Kids and wonder what that has to do with paranoia.

My 2018 has Soul Red Crystal. even with clear bra on the most susceptible surfaces, I still have several chips. I think that is easing me in to accepting my inevitable first door ding.

Hopefully it won't be as obvious as they were on my previous black car.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast