Dink Paranoia

:
2018 CX-5 Sport
I had an old car and I didn't care about getting dinks. I parked anywhere. I am courteous and I have never dinked anyone elses's car. But now I have dink paranoia. I park far away in parking lots, I try to park next to a non parking spot so only one side is in danger, I go to stores on off hours. Right now I don't have a single dink but it will happen, it always does. There are so many careless people out there with giant doors and whipping them open. Do any of you guys have this disease too? Did anyone get a dink?

You describe me to a T when my car was new. It's 8 years old now and I still take precautions, but I've mellowed a bit.

I even try to look for "preferred" parking spots.

basically since we really don't have any front bumpers,
I try not to park directly behind a car, and if I do, i make sure there is enough room for that car in front to get out, and even better if i know that the car in front has a backup cam.
Also have a dashcam installed with Parking mode, so that IF anyone bumps my car and leaves a ding...That footage is caught!

I'm anal in that department as well, and my wife thinks I'm nuts.
Thing is, 99% of the door dings and scratches that show up on any of my past or current cars, magically appeared after she, or one of my kids, had driven it.
Nothing I say to them has any effect. Very frustrating.

Like the old Cat Stevens song: The first dink is the deepest, oh, sorry, cut. LOL.
When I am alone I park far from cars, but with the wife I cannot do that.

the funny thing is.
I try to park my car a little far away or a few spaces away,
I ALWAYS seem to find another car parked RIGHT next to me, even when there's plethora of spots on the lot...wtf is that?? haha

Like the old Cat Stevens song: *The first dink is the deepest*, oh, sorry, *cut*. LOL.
When I am alone I park far from cars, but with the wife I cannot do that.

the funny thing is.
I try to park my car a little far away or a few spaces away,
I ALWAYS seem to find another car parked RIGHT next to me, even when there's plethora of spots on the lot...wtf is that?? haha

What is up with that? I parked way in the back of the grocery store yesterday, I come out and there is a car parked next to me. There were 10 spots around and they parked next to me. It was a Mazda so I didn't get excited about it, maybe they took a look at my car.

I had an old car and I didn't care about getting dinks. I parked anywhere. I am courteous and I have never dinked anyone elses's car. But now I have dink paranoia. I park far away in parking lots, I try to park next to a non parking spot so only one side is in danger, I go to stores on off hours. Right now I don't have a single dink but it will happen, it always does. There are so many careless people out there with giant doors and whipping them open. Do any of you guys have this disease too? Did anyone get a dink?

I'm going on 4 years and no dinks, I mean dings.

Yep, you sound exactly like me.
I freaked when somebody started a thread recently about losing their fob.
They had just received their brand new 2019 and the next day drove into Manhattan to see the Rockefeller tree!!
WHAT!?

(omg)

Yep. I got a new CX 5 and my wife got the new CX 3 in November. We both take extra care in How and where we park :).

if only everyone was as respectful and considerate =)
although in Germany it seems that way. Didn't see one car anywhere on the street or the mall with any dings.

Yep. I got a new CX 5 and my wife got the new CX 3 in November. We both take extra care in How and where we park :).

Yep, you sound exactly like me.
I freaked when somebody started a thread recently about losing their fob.
They had just received their brand new 2019 and the next day drove into Manhattan to see the Rockefeller tree!!
WHAT!?

(omg)

I read that one too and thought the exact same thing. Their car is going to get beat up :) I am breaking mine in slowly, no 80 mph to NYC for me yet. It probably is not necessary but I rather warm it up and keep the speed down and varying the pace.

It would be good if those magnetic strips had a third unit for the rear quarter panel. Careless kids ejecting themselves from the rear doors of their SUVs are enemy number one for those panels.

I miss my Saturn with plastic side panels.

The sad part is the more you care you bigger chance to get dings. ...and as somebody said even if you park away , somebody will park to you when you get back.
I miss the old times when cars had plastic stripes for protection by default...no more in the new cars unfortunately.

The sad part is the more you care you bigger chance to get dings. ...and as somebody said even if you park away , somebody will park to you when you get back.
I miss the old times when cars had plastic stripes for protection by default...no more in the new cars unfortunately.

Those kind of solutions only work against certain shaped doors. Many rear doors have a "point" that can still hit your door above or below the protection. And they're fugly, imho.

I agree it's an infuriating problem that can drive you nuts. Usually caused by thoughtlessness or negligence. BUT, once in awhile the wind might catch the door if someone's not holding tight and rip it out of your hand. Luckily there was no car next to me. So that could happen, too.

But they can often be pulled out, so best to save your sanity and keep it in perspective.

I park in the cripple spot (legally) if there are multiple available or I'm in an area where they are usually unoccupied. But my car also has 125k on it and a peppered bumper cover so I suppose it's not so much the paint but a dent I'm worried about.

Last edited:
I found a great paintless dent repair guy. They work magic! If youre unfamiliar, they use special tools to knead the dent out from the inside. For a door ding, they just slide the tool down the window slot. My guy charges $150 to remove up to six dings. Takes him about an hour,

I park in the cripple spot (legally) if there are multiple available or I'm in an area where they are usually unoccupied. But my car also has 125k on it and a peppered bumper cover so I suppose it's not so much the paint but a dent I'm worried about.
Yeah my front bumper is a mess and I have a couple of dings on one side of the car from parking at the airport.

At this point, it is what it is.

Back