2020 Cx-5 due for refresh facelift?

Or the American version of the CX-4, which is made in China for the Chinese market. Can't import it so just make it here!

Id bet on a CX-7 before another hatchback like the CX-4, considering theyve already got the Mazda3 and CX-3.

yes true, but hate to say it...will this compromise on the quality?
I mean i did see Gung Ho, and it doesn't give me good hope =P

This is a topic that gets debated to death but Ive never seen evidence that the quality is lowered by manufacturing in one country vs another. Most is automated by robots anymore anyway. And the parts usually come from all over the globe.

I know there was some anecdotal discussions on the 3 from Mexico but that died down. If anything it would be the growing pains of getting a new factory online with supply chain not so much dependent on where the factory was.

Also Honda and Toyota with their legendary reliability reputations didnt die away when they made cars in North America.

Itll be fine.

seriously i hope so, i love to support our economy but if our production is not up to par with other countries...i don't know.
I had a Hyundai Santa Fe built in the Georgia plant....oh the woes! but it could just be Hyundai =P

This is a topic that gets debated to death but I*ve never seen evidence that the quality is lowered by manufacturing in one country vs another. Most is automated by robots anymore anyway. And the parts usually come from all over the globe.

I know there was some anecdotal discussions on the 3 from Mexico but that died down. If anything it would be the growing pains of getting a new factory online with supply chain not so much dependent on where the factory was.

Also Honda and Toyota with their *legendary* reliability reputations didn*t die away when they made cars in North America.

It*ll be fine.

seriously i hope so, i love to support our economy but if our production is not up to par with other countries...i don't know.
I had a Hyundai Santa Fe built in the Georgia plant....oh the woes! but it could just be Hyundai =P

So was that a problem with some aspect of the design or actually a defect as a result of it being improperly assembled? Id argue it was probably the former.

well engine seemed pretty good, but the interior fit and finish was another story,
just way too many loose parts and squeaking. I had to resort to adding rubber trim by the windshield area to stop the creaking in the dashboard,
the driver seat always tilted back and never stayed in place.
rear seats would always rattle. oh wells!

So was that a problem with some aspect of the design or actually a defect as a result of it being improperly assembled? I*d argue it was probably the former.

well engine seemed pretty good, but the interior fit and finish was another story,
just way too many loose parts and squeaking. I had to resort to adding rubber trim by the windshield area to stop the creaking in the dashboard,
the driver seat always tilted back and never stayed in place.
rear seats would always rattle. oh wells!

But thats probably still design issue not assembly issue. They didnt add foam and gaskets and so on.

For example the first gen CX-5 got complaints for being noisy. With second gen they added a lot more sound dampening, rubber seals for door panels, strategic foam for panel rattles ect. Its design. I doubt a Hyundai made in Korea would have been any different than one made in the USA.

point taken, but i like to blame the US for everything..haha j/k

But that*s probably still design issue not assembly issue. They didn*t add foam and gaskets and so on.

For example the first gen CX-5 got complaints for being noisy. With second gen they added a lot more sound dampening, rubber seals for door panels, strategic foam for panel rattles ect. It*s design. I doubt a Hyundai made in Korea would have been any different than one made in the USA.

This is a topic that gets debated to death but Ive never seen evidence that the quality is lowered by manufacturing in one country vs another. Most is automated by robots anymore anyway. And the parts usually come from all over the globe.

This. True of most products these days, e.g., guitars. When I was a kid, it was all about "Jap crap". Not any more.

Hard to say, especially since Mazda is a smaller company with limited resources. But, I think it's fair to say that KF-Gen2 is actually more of a Gen1.5 model. The chassis, drivetrain, and body hardpoints were not changed at all and these are the major engineering challenges when redesigning a vehicle. What Mazda did is a lot of small detail work on the '17. The suspension received isolation bushings and other tricks, but the actual geometry and major components didn't change. The engine received small tweaks and the transmission some reprogramming but neither were substantially altered.

The CX-5 shares a chassis and many components under the skin with the 3, and there is going to be a strong incentive to get the CX-5 onto the brand new platform that was just introduced for the new 3. New engine, new suspension design, new platform hardpoints. It's a much more "from the ground up" update than what the KF model received.

I don't think there is enough time and bandwidth at Mazda to get the CX-5 moved onto the new platform by 2020, but I suspect what they are working on as I type this is getting it ready for 2021. Then we'll see a proper "fully" redesigned CX-5.

Hard to say, especially since Mazda is a smaller company with limited resources. But, I think it's fair to say that KF-Gen2 is actually more of a Gen1.5 model. The chassis, drivetrain, and body hardpoints were not changed at all and these are the major engineering challenges when redesigning a vehicle. What Mazda did is a lot of small detail work on the '17. The suspension received isolation bushings and other tricks, but the actual geometry and major components didn't change. The engine received small tweaks and the transmission some reprogramming but neither were substantially altered.

The CX-5 shares a chassis and many components under the skin with the 3, and there is going to be a strong incentive to get the CX-5 onto the brand new platform that was just introduced for the new 3. New engine, new suspension design, new platform hardpoints. It's a much more "from the ground up" update than what the KF model received.

I don't think there is enough time and bandwidth at Mazda to get the CX-5 moved onto the new platform by 2020, but I suspect what they are working on as I type this is getting it ready for 2021. Then we'll see a proper "fully" redesigned CX-5.

You know the new Mazda 3 went from 3% high tensile steel to 30%. IF the CX-5 is built upon the Mazda 3 platform, does it currently have only 3% high tensile steel? Will the greater use of high tensile steel impact stiffness?

You know the new Mazda 3 went from 3% high tensile steel to 30%. IF the CX-5 is built upon the Mazda 3 platform, does it currently have only 3% high tensile steel? Will the greater use of high tensile steel impact stiffness?

I can't find it now, but there were some longer articles that talked about how different the new CX-5 was. Yes, the powertrain was the same, but everything about the body, stiffness, sound dampening, and lots of the individual suspension components were all new.

Do a search for MotoMan on YouTube. They had I believe 3 videos on the second generation of CX5. Dave Coleman was with the host. Those were informative discussions going into the changes inside the engine as well as the chassis and all the sound isolation stuff they did.

Ok guys,
so the 2nd Gen cx-5 is now on their 3rd MY.
the 2019's were just released with the new 2.5t along with the Signature edition and GT-R.

Do you think the 2020 MY will have a mid model refresh?
Although i'm picking up the 2019 model, I have this sneaky suspicion that it will be refreshed. =P

Does anyone recall if the 2017 mazda 6 had any new features added before the styling refresh was done to the 2018 model?

Not really. The CX5 got a complete re-do for YM 2017. I am frankly quite shocked Mazda did that. There is no way there is going to be a complete re-do for 3YM later. You might see 2016.5 type changes, but a new structure? Oh hell no. Mazda doesn't have that kind of money. The 2019 is just recycling CX9 parts, because the CX5 will sell those parts more efficiently. An actual re-do is $$$$

I can't find it now, but there were some longer articles that talked about how different the new CX-5 was. Yes, the powertrain was the same, but everything about the body, stiffness, sound dampening, and lots of the individual suspension components were all new.

Thanks. I will look for those. When I heard that the current Mazda 3 only uses 3% high tensile steel and it was going to 30%, I was shocked at how low the current model was. However, I am not sure what the difference between high tensile and "regular" steel is!

I think many are mis- reading my Topic.
I was trying to ask if MAZDA will do a mid-model refresh in 2020, this is different from a complete re-do.
They have done this to the Gen1 cx-5 , the mazda 3, cx-3 and mazda6.
Just wondering if this will come next year since it's already into it's 3rd MY.
I'm sure the CX-9 is due for a slight refresh as well

Not really. The CX5 got a complete re-do for YM 2017. I am frankly quite shocked Mazda did that. There is no way there is going to be a complete re-do for 3YM later. You might see 2016.5 type changes, but a new structure? Oh hell no. Mazda doesn't have that kind of money. The 2019 is just recycling CX9 parts, because the CX5 will sell those parts more efficiently. An actual re-do is $$$$

I saw the Motoman video with Dave Coleman before I bought mine. These are the changes I am referring to. Yes, there are a lot of them and they all add to a substantial improvement, but at the end of the day they are all individually minor revisions to an existing platform.

The 2019 Mazda 3 is on an all NEW platform, not a tweaked one. The CX-5 is going to move to it, it is just a question of when.

I think many are mis- reading my Topic.
I was trying to ask if MAZDA will do a mid-model refresh in 2020, this is different from a complete re-do.
They have done this to the Gen1 cx-5 , the mazda 3, cx-3 and mazda6.
Just wondering if this will come next year since it's already into it's 3rd MY.
I'm sure the CX-9 is due for a slight refresh as well

Your guess is as good as anyone else's! And nobody's is better than yours!
One thing this group is good at is speculating as to what Mazda's going to do. FWIW.

Do a search for MotoMan on YouTube. They had I believe 3 videos on the second generation of CX5. Dave Coleman was with the host. Those were informative discussions going into the changes inside the engine as well as the chassis and all the sound isolation stuff they did.

So it does look like the use of high tensile steel makes a stiffer chassis and according to this report. The CX-5 already had ~61% of this stuff, compared to only 3% in the Mazda 3.

https://www.wardsauto.com/technology/mazda-plays-it-straight-and-strong-cx-5-frame

Latest posts

Back