We got our new 2019 GTR Reserve Car Friday and lost the Key Fob on Saturday.

theatermax

:
2019 CX5 GT Reserve
Hey Guys

I am new to the forum.

We bought a CX5 GT Reserve Friday and we took a trip into NYC to see the tree and see the Illusionists (Which was amazing BTW) fun stuff Saturday only to find when we got back to the car we lost the Key. We had to leave car in NYC and get a Uber home and we went back today to pick it up with the second key.

So we want to get a replacement key which I fear the Dealer will charge me a fortune for. Is there a trusted place to buy a new Key fob that will work with the 2019 GTR that you guys know of ? I do understand there is a pull out cut that will have to be cut to match the other key so we could use the key manually to open the door if need be.

Can you marry a new FOB to the car without an OBD computer or dealer interface ?

How do you know which FOB has the proximity module for the key less walk away feature that locks the car automatically.

Any help would be appreciated.

BTW , The car is freaking awesome - I will be posting more about this new Engine and how it feels.

Thanks
Craig

Key fobs are ~$300 from a dealer. I don't know if there are any other places to get them. Modern cars are funny in regards to the key fobs. For example, they can act funny if you have a low battery in the key fob. Our Honda Odyssey will actually shut of while driving if it looses connection with the key fob. If it were me, I would suck it up and buy the official stuff from the dealer.

Last edited:
Do a thorough search. It has to be in one of your pockets or in the car because you never have to take it out to lose it. My dealer said it is about $300 to replace which is crazy. Can buy a complete computer system for that $$$. There is no cheaper alternative.

Why did you not receive 2 fobs?
That is normal operating procedure.

Last edited:
He does have 2 fobs, read it again.

The key fob is $200 + $100 to program it. That's not THAT unreasonable I don't think.
I bought a remote on eBay for my 16 for $100 and dealer programmed it for $100. Yes, afaik it can only be done by the dealer and both keys need be present. Any keys not present are unmarried from the car.
See if you can find a part number on the 19 fob and see if it's a the same as the eBay. I can't believe something changed in the fob but the eBay listings do say up to 2017.

If you don't make the 2nd one now, and if you should lose your current one, it will cost you dearly (like >$800).
So, do it now. $200 or $300. It has to be done.

Do a thorough search. It has to be in one of your pockets or in the car because you never have to take it out to lose it. My dealer said it is about $300 to replace which is crazy. Can buy a complete computer system for that $$$. There is no cheaper alternative.

If the fob is in the car (or in your pocket), you should be able to start the car; and, if somewhere in the car, you should not be able to lock the car when you get out - one way of narrowing down the search.

Having lost car keys in the past (starting with my dad's 1960 Impala, where he had to take a one hour bus ride to come rescue me - boy, was he pissed!), here's what I do with the two fobs:
1) one fob is in my pocket all the time
2) the mechanical key from the other fob is also in my pocket, on a separate key ring
3) the second fob is hidden inside my car, with the battery removed.

Must remove the battery to be able to lock the doors.

fred

Having owned cars like this most of my adult life, where losing them is a giant pain in the ass I simply: don't lose them.
Carry a second key ring with a key and hiding a fob somewhere? Madness.

Jinx

One thing that surprised me about the key fob was that when our two fobs started getting weak it was only $5 each to get the batteries replaced at the dealer.

Now that's impressive. Surprised it wasn't $19.99 + $20 in labor. [emoji57]

Just bought new fob batteries for my Volvo . 1 battery was $6 on Amazon.... 6 batteries was $8.

Back