Also test drove a 2019 Sig

:
2019 Mazda6 & CX-5
I liked it. So did my wife. Now if the dealer was just willing to do less than sticker, :) But that's another story.

Everything about it was smooth. Throttle response was excellent - no turbo lag whatsoever. Reminds me of a reasonably powered naturally aspirated V6. Great torque but does fall a little flat when you wring it out a little. The turbo motor does not make this vehicle a fast car at all. In my opinion, it makes it a nice driving car that is reasonably quick. The turbo motor makes it about as fast it should be but doesn't make it fast whatsoever. I've also driven the NA four cylinder and found it pretty lacking. However, both the turbo and NA motors are connected to excellent shifting 6 speed automatics.

Interior is nicer than average for this segment but not as nice as most luxury branded compact SUVs. Overall, "good enough" for sure and certainly a pleasant space to spend time in on long trips. Seats were comfortable for my wife and would likely be for most people, but people over 6' like me will probably find it slightly difficult to find a perfect seating position for absolute comfort. Like many cars now, the seats bottom length is short and you will not have full thigh support if you are taller. Not a deal killer but worth noting.

The Lane Departure Steering Assist system didn't quite work as advertised. In several areas with clearly marked middle lanes and curb lane markers, it failed to recognize the lanes and therefore the system didn't operate. I don't have a ton of experience with these systems but our Jeep Grand Cherokee's system works much better and would not have not recognized these new, clearly marked lanes.

The stereo was highly disappointing. For Mazda trying to move up into the luxury segment, this stero comes up very short. I'm comparing it to two excellent stock Harmon Kardon systems in my other vehicles. No comparison. Mazda certainly saved money here.

I felt the stereo/GPS/settings interface was fairly intuitive. Not as good as some but better than many systems. The Kia Sportage SX Turbo we recently test drove had a system that was crazy confusing to operate. Tons of buttons all over the dash and the interface was not intuitive. Hated that part about the Sportage big time.

Back seat comfort was perfectly fine and will fit adults comfortably.

Handling and steering feel was very good. Definitely above average for the segment and on par with many sporty cars. Note, I did not say "sports" cars but sporty cars. It's great though for being an SUV.

Cabin was fairly quiet as far as I could tell. Definitely didn't notice anything odd sound or noise wise.

We will likely continue searching around until we find a dealer willing to provide us with a reasonable discount, which in my mind is 5% (about $1600) given the low supply at the moment. No hard feelings though on my part towards this dealer, but I can't imagine 99% of the people walking in to a Mazda dealer and expecting to pay sticker or even close to it. I'm sure the "sticker" pricing will disappear quick quickly once some inventory is built up. Honestly, no brand can really get away with sticker, lol! I mean, it's not some exotic one-off vehicle! Oh well. It is what it is for now. They only have one in stock and one on the way, and supply is limited across the area. Hopefully the supply of Signatures goes up quickly over the next 30 days, which will help pricing. For a reference point, my "sticker" quote contemplated getting Kelly Blue Book "good" trade in value for my current car, which I considered fair. I think the risk these dealers are taking is if it goes too long is that the new RAV4 is coming out soon. If that happens, we will be test driving a 2019 Toyota RAV4 as well. And I predict that vehicle will suffice as well for what we are intending to use it for. Slower, yes but likely an excellent vehicle.

Hope this is helpful and entertaining for other folks interested in the new Signature.

The 2019 RAV4 is a very different vehicle than the CX-5 Signature. The RAV4 is more Subaru and the Mazda is trying to be more upscale like a BMW, Volvo, etc.

We are testing some cars today including the CX-5 Signature. I have already driven in the CX-9 and Mazda 6 Signature and am familiar with the 2.5T. As much as it disappoints people, Mazda is trying for a very specific feel from this Trim level.

I liked it. So did my wife. Now if the dealer was just willing to do less than sticker, :) But that's another story.

Everything about it was smooth. Throttle response was excellent - no turbo lag whatsoever. Reminds me of a reasonably powered naturally aspirated V6. Great torque but does fall a little flat when you wring it out a little. The turbo motor does not make this vehicle a fast car at all. In my opinion, it makes it a nice driving car that is reasonably quick. The turbo motor makes it about as fast it should be but doesn't make it fast whatsoever. I've also driven the NA four cylinder and found it pretty lacking. However, both the turbo and NA motors are connected to excellent shifting 6 speed automatics.

Agree 100%. Mazda's throttle response comes on instantaneous but does drop off. This makes it feel fast but I suspect some of the 2.0T cars will ultimately produce better 0-60 numbers. However you'll have to endure their dead pedal affect/turbo lag. I'll take instant response at the expense of a few tenths in 0-60. It's all a tradeoff. You can also get something like +30 HP if you use premium fuel. I have not tested this yet but it should push out where it falls off.

Have you had a chance to test Grand Cherokee Trackhawk?? Those things are wicked fast.

Interior is nicer than average for this segment but not as nice as most luxury branded compact SUVs. Overall, "good enough" for sure and certainly a pleasant space to spend time in on long trips. Seats were comfortable for my wife and would likely be for most people, but people over 6' like me will probably find it slightly difficult to find a perfect seating position for absolute comfort. Like many cars now, the seats bottom length is short and you will not have full thigh support if you are taller. Not a deal killer but worth noting.

I'm 6' and find the seats to be excellent. I did notice the short bottom length but it's no big deal and probably better for my short wifey.

The Lane Departure Steering Assist system didn't quite work as advertised. In several areas with clearly marked middle lanes and curb lane markers, it failed to recognize the lanes and therefore the system didn't operate. I don't have a ton of experience with these systems but our Jeep Grand Cherokee's system works much better and would not have not recognized these new, clearly marked lanes.

The stereo was highly disappointing. For Mazda trying to move up into the luxury segment, this stero comes up very short. I'm comparing it to two excellent stock Harmon Kardon systems in my other vehicles. No comparison. Mazda certainly saved money here.

I felt the stereo/GPS/settings interface was fairly intuitive. Not as good as some but better than many systems. The Kia Sportage SX Turbo we recently test drove had a system that was crazy confusing to operate. Tons of buttons all over the dash and the interface was not intuitive. Hated that part about the Sportage big time.

Lane departure worked fine for me but have not tried it in freeways with a middle lane. No comment on the stereo but the GPS remains pretty primitive. (not much better then the one in my '16 which was also pretty poor). Mazda's factory GPS needs an overhaul. At least they gave us Android Auto.

Back seat comfort was perfectly fine and will fit adults comfortably.

Handling and steering feel was very good. Definitely above average for the segment and on par with many sporty cars. Note, I did not say "sports" cars but sporty cars. It's great though for being an SUV.

Cabin was fairly quiet as far as I could tell. Definitely didn't notice anything odd sound or noise wise.

We will likely continue searching around until we find a dealer willing to provide us with a reasonable discount, which in my mind is 5% (about $1600) given the low supply at the moment. No hard feelings though on my part towards this dealer, but I can't imagine 99% of the people walking in to a Mazda dealer and expecting to pay sticker or even close to it. I'm sure the "sticker" pricing will disappear quick quickly once some inventory is built up. Honestly, no brand can really get away with sticker, lol! I mean, it's not some exotic one-off vehicle! Oh well. It is what it is for now. They only have one in stock and one on the way, and supply is limited across the area. Hopefully the supply of Signatures goes up quickly over the next 30 days, which will help pricing. For a reference point, my "sticker" quote contemplated getting Kelly Blue Book "good" trade in value for my current car, which I considered fair. I think the risk these dealers are taking is if it goes too long is that the new RAV4 is coming out soon. If that happens, we will be test driving a 2019 Toyota RAV4 as well. And I predict that vehicle will suffice as well for what we are intending to use it for. Slower, yes but likely an excellent vehicle.

Hope this is helpful and entertaining for other folks interested in the new Signature.

Mazda's price structure only gives the dealers 1% holdback and 4% margin. Most others like Ford have holdback at 4%. Unless Mazda throws more back end $'s at the dealers, the discounts seen on other trims might not happen soon. With so little supply, I can't see dealer's being very aggressive and/or Mazda throwing extra $'s at the dealers to move Sigs. Get some quotes from other dealers. I was able to squeeze about $1000 discount, was able to get high KBB trade in value and another $1250 misc. incentives from Mazda. (loyalty and trade) The deals should be better next year but my trade in would continue depreciating. It was a tradeoff.

Excellent review!!!

Last edited:
I've driven Signature twice, first time with 87 octane in normal mode and was a bit underwhelmed, second time was with 92 octane and sport mode on, big difference.

I've driven Signature twice, first time with 87 octane in normal mode and was a bit underwhelmed, second time was with 92 octane and sport mode on, big difference.
Did you try 92 without sport mode?

excellent review and thanks for taking the time to give us your initial impressions.

I actually had a chance to drive a 2019 Signature at the LA Auto Show this week after spending a few hours looking at everything from an Acura RDX to a BMW X3.
I found the 2.5T to be very linear in it's power delivery although I will confess I didn't really open the engine up much as I could tell the youngster who drove it before me must have annoyed / startled the Mazda employee because she was pretty stern about obeying her driving commands and following all applicable speed limits.
It felt more powerful than my current E83 bmw but without getting into the higher rpm band, it's tough to say how they'd match up. I will say I didn't notice any turbo lag and the handing as I've come to expcect from Mazda was quite crisp and very deliberate.

As for the Bose, I'm not surprised. I have 2005 RX-8 with the Bose and one of the first things I did was yank out all the speakers and promptly deposit them in the trash where they belong.
Bummer Mazda hasn't gotten a better system from them all these years later but this seems to be an area they've consistently skimped out on.

I need to take a more thorough test drive once supply improves at my local dealership and I'll make sure to report back.
I will say, I am not a fan of the Signature leather (I've never liked brown / tan interiors) so I'll most likely be going with a Grand Touring Reserve.

Just test drove the Signature. They've made it all the way to Rockford, IL. In terms of the engine I think I discovered the difference between regular and premium gas. When floored I noticed it consistently short-shifted just past 5k RPMs while running 87 octane. That goes for sport and regular modes, and the car was completely warmed up. I didn't have the option of driving it with premium. I assume the premium allows a higher shift point, hence the higher hp rating. That's all for now. I only had a few minutes to post and wanted to get that out there.

Did you try 92 without sport mode?

Yes, I turned sport mode on/off several times on second test drive, it really wakes up the transmission and throttle response, with the 92 it defiantly pulls harder on top end. I saw a thread on regular vs premium fuels in turbo motors on the 18 accord forum, a tuner from hondata, said premium fuel helps to keep the valve timing at optimum, so not only does it make more power but revs quicker at upper part of powerband.

So, I test drove a CX-5 signature today as well. Very nice car with a big caveat. First, the car was right off the boat. Literally, I put the first bit of gas in the car. Overall, very nice car that takes the normal CX-5 and improves it. The power is there when you need it and allows for a much better driving experience. IF people are expecting mind blowing acceleration, you will be disappointed. The idea is smooth power without drama.

The brown leather is very nice and soft, while the wood accents are minimal. Honestly, the GT reserve might be a better choice as I am not sure what the Signature gives you beyond the brown leather.

The caveat was that we also test drove a 2019 CX-9 Signature right before and it made the CX-5 feel cheap. The CX-9 felt just as powerful and handles as well. For the small price difference, I would get the CX-9 without hesitation. It just feels like a much better car. We also need the occasional 3rd row so this to me became a no brainer.

Just test drove the Signature. They've made it all the way to Rockford, IL. In terms of the engine I think I discovered the difference between regular and premium gas. When floored I noticed it consistently short-shifted just past 5k RPMs while running 87 octane. That goes for sport and regular modes, and the car was completely warmed up. I didn't have the option of driving it with premium. I assume the premium allows a higher shift point, hence the higher hp rating. That's all for now. I only had a few minutes to post and wanted to get that out there.

That makes perfect sense. If you're right, then premium would be a waste unless one often runs between 5-6k. I want to see dyno charts.

Thanks to everyone who is spending their weekend playing with the new toys and reporting your impressions!

My experience, I'm 64, tells me that you need 2500 to 5000 miles to fully break-in an AWD vehicle drive train, plus the engine management needs time or more accurately miles when switching from regular to premium fuel. some require a number stop start cycles to fully switch. I bought a 2018 Accord touring 2.0 turbo last February it just kept getting better until about 2000 miles, it's a very quick car for what it is. I think its a bit premature to say how fast the CX5 Turbo is fresh out of the wrapper, it needs miles and at least two tanks of premium run through it to be fair.

I plan to test drive a new 2019 Hyundai Tuscan Limited or Ultimate this week. Far cheaper than the CX-5 and Im sure it will drive differently but it may also serve our purposes nicely. Anyone else test driven the Tuscan?

I plan to test drive a new 2019 Hyundai Tuscan Limited or Ultimate this week. Far cheaper than the CX-5 and I*m sure it will drive differently but it may also serve our purposes nicely. Anyone else test driven the Tuscan?

Tucson? I test drove the base one as the DCT had issues in stop n go traffic back in 2016. It overheats and asks you to pull over. Sure hyundai has fixed it - but DCTs dont like crawl traffic. If you are not going to do that 1.6T might be ok. Chassis is sorted and nice. Much smaller than CX-5. Base engine felt ok but overall did not put it on my shopping list. If CX5 or Rav4 deals fell through - then maybe a Tucson would be 3rd choice.

The 2019 Tuscan Limited and Ultimate ditches the DCT in favor of a conventional torque converter automatic transmission. Its paired with a 2.4L NA four cylinder that makes similar power to the NA Mazda 2.5L.

The 2019 Tuscan Limited and Ultimate ditches the DCT in favor of a conventional torque converter automatic transmission. It*s paired with a 2.4L NA four cylinder that makes similar power to the NA Mazda 2.5L.

And I also heard they dumped the 1.6T in favor of the NA motor so that 2.4 NA is all you can get

Last edited:
Back