Are my brakes still good?

oldspicejet

:
mazda cx-5
Just did oil change and tire rotation on my 2015 CX-5. 40,000 miles. First is front and second is rear. Can anyone tell me how worn my brakes are and how many miles I should expect form their current state? I live in Los Angeles so no snow or salt. I also drive on the gentler side. havent replaced anything yet.

IMG_0399.JPGIMG_0400.JPG

Last edited:
those are both pics of the outer pads correct? if the inner pads are around the same thickness I would say you have easily at least 20,000 miles left on them.

Brake pads start out new at around 12mm and it looks like you are down to around half, maybe a bit under.

Last edited:
That looks about what your pads should look like with (only) 40k miles of LA freeway driving. I agree with ^^^ with regards to remaining life.

When I look at my brake pads and any car I owned. I would replace when the pad material became the same or thinner than the metal it is bonded to.

That looks about what your pads should look like with (only) 40k miles of LA freeway driving. I agree with ^^^ with regards to remaining life.

thank you. yea 40,000 miles in 4.5 years. I started off driving a decent amount but then moved by the beach and working mostly from home so dont really drive it all that much currently. if im mostly doing highway driving, do I stilll need ot rotate tires every 7,000 miles? Thanks guys. I always appreciated this forum especailly when I was buying this car.

thank you. yea 40,000 miles in 4.5 years. I started off driving a decent amount but then moved by the beach and working mostly from home so dont really drive it all that much currently. if im mostly doing highway driving, do I stilll need ot rotate tires every 7,000 miles? Thanks guys. I always appreciated this forum especailly when I was buying this car.
Only if you want to get even wear and maximize tire life.

Back