How to test Smart City Brake Support?

That makes sense that it is a camera in the windshield so no wonder I didn't see a infrared laser. I read on a Mazda website that it uses laser. Anyway, it acts like it works, when I turn it off from the screen a yellow indicator comes on showing it is off. Today I put black tape over the camera and nothing happened. Anyway I will just assume that it works and that it uses a sophisticated algorithm that I can't fool with cardboard boxes. Or a garbage can. Or a standing piece of sheetrock. :) It is a terrific car, I like it very much.

That makes sense that it is a camera in the windshield so no wonder I didn't see a infrared laser. I read on a Mazda website that it uses laser. Anyway, it acts like it works, when I turn it off from the screen a yellow indicator comes on showing it is off. Today I put black tape over the camera and nothing happened. Anyway I will just assume that it works and that it uses a sophisticated algorithm that I can't fool with cardboard boxes. Or a garbage can. Or a standing piece of sheetrock. :) It is a terrific car, I like it very much.

Have your wife, child, friend, whatever stand on the side of your driveway and hold up a leafy branch or something in front of your CX5 at the same height as your windshield. A slight breeze causing it to move would be ideal. Guarantee itll slam on the brakes.

Yep, misunderstood.SCBS works from 0-19. SBS 20+.

Actually, it's 2-18mph for SCBS and over 10mph for SBS. That's for the 17, straight from the manual. Can be different for different years, tho, since the system was different in 16. Anyone know if 18 & 19 are like 17 or different?

Does yours have it, 7? If so, what's the 16.5 manual say?

The "old" SCBS used an infrared detector and works up to 30 kmh, the New Advanced SCBS uses the forwardfacing camera and works up to 80 kmh and also detects pedestriants and cyclists.
https://youtu.be/zVCBr49Lvko

Last edited by a moderator:
The "old" SCBS used an infrared detector and works up to 30 kmh, the New Advanced SCBS uses the forwardfacing camera and works up to 80 kmh and also detects pedestriants and cyclists.
https://youtu.be/zVCBr49Lvko

So basically our CX5 is equipped with FLIR. Just need to tap into it and send the signal to a screen. The laser can be tuned to actually blind oncoming drivers who are blinding you with their headlights!

Actually, it's 2-18mph for SCBS and over 10mph for SBS. That's for the 17, straight from the manual. Can be different for different years, tho, since the system was different in 16. Anyone know if 18 & 19 are like 17 or different?

Does yours have it, 7? If so, what's the 16.5 manual say?
In 16 SCBS was standard on GT. SBS was an option of the iActivesense package which I did not get.
According to my manual, SCBS is, as you said, from 2-18 mph while SBS is 10+. Silly me assumed one would take over from where the other leaves off.

For those having trouble, check your settings. I have one that determines the distance for the alert, and another that disables SCBS/SBS entirely.

Back