How to test Smart City Brake Support?

I dont think the test is really testing what its designed to do. There is a video earlier in the thread from an actual crash test and how they went about it is much different and the system worked as designed.

I don*t think the test is really testing what it*s designed to do. There is a video earlier in the thread from an actual crash test and how they went about it is much different and the system worked as designed.

It probably was a 2017 CX-5. It is best to have it disabled anyway, this video shows it braking because a truck passed the car and they could have been rear ended: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TiIXFRUFncs

Since the box is not a pedestrian nor moving like one, perhaps the system doesnt recognize it. However when I did the testing myself, I made sure to use a wider box to mimick an automobile and seems to work every time. Good luck.

Seems like the heat from the exhaust from the car ahead had something to do with it.
The same uploader also uploaded this video.
https://youtu.be/vERn3I4LMCk
Very odd. Never had this issue ever.

More likely the opacity or density of the exhaust, since the system doesn't rely on temp afaik.
But definitely miscalibrated.

I had it activate once while I was in a 2018 rental. I was coming down a ramp in a parking garage and the angle of the garage made it think I was about it impact something and slammed to a stop. Scared the s*** out of me TBH.

Thats what I was trying to say. The opacity of the exhaust fumes caused by the cold weather and heat. Definitely something is not right.
More likely the opacity or density of the exhaust, since the system doesn't rely on temp afaik.
But definitely miscalibrated.

At least you knew it works. Haha.
That Mustve been some decline.

I had it activate once while I was in a 2018 rental. I was coming down a ramp in a parking garage and the angle of the garage made it think I was about it impact something and slammed to a stop. Scared the s*** out of me TBH.

At least you knew it works. Haha.
That Must*ve been some decline.

I *may* have been driving it like a rental. It was a multi-level garage and had a ramp between each floor and then a level area between. So going from ramp to leve and back is where it slammed on.

Until people put their phones down and quit texting I want everyone else to have this feature.

I don't think it works in the 2018 models. I found this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5VSZPAtYII

smh. It works. People are just using flawed tests. If I were to test this feature, I'd go to an empty parking lot with an empty cardboard box and a friend, and I'd get them to push the box out in front of the car while I was driving. Similar to the way the "pedestrian" steps out from behind a parked car.

Yea I dont understand the need to test something thats already been tested by the professionals.

Yea I don*t understand the need to test something that*s already been tested by the *professionals*.

true that,
but when you test it and it works ad advertisted, it's like a woah moment.

not to stereotype but it's also good for elderly drivers.
Reaction times slow down with age, and i'm sure glad this is available.

Until people put their phones down and quit texting I want everyone else to have this feature.

not to stereotype but it's also good for elderly drivers.
Reaction times slow down with age, and i'm sure glad this is available.

Also true. I generally think this is a good thing and its being pushed by the IIHS. I know we all focus on the perceived increase in the cost of the car. However that probably isnt as high as we think it is especially once this matures. Also we have to factor in that as this becomes ubiquitous it can help keep insurance premiums down by reducing collisions and thus claims.

speaking about insurance premiums, I would hope that installing a dashcam would bring the premium down, but so far no go.. =(

Also true. I generally think this is a good thing and its being pushed by the IIHS. I know we all focus on the perceived increase in the cost of the car. However that probably isn*t as high as we think it is especially once this matures. Also we have to factor in that as this becomes ubiquitous it can help keep insurance premiums down by reducing collisions and thus claims.

speaking about insurance premiums, I would hope that installing a dashcam would bring the premium down, but so far no go.. =(

I just wish we had OEM dash cam as an option. Just save in case of any safety system being triggered. Cameras are already there!

you know something?
I ALWAYS thought this would be a great option for ALL manufacturers!
If Mazda is the pioneer in this, and adds the first OEM dashcam...woah..it might actually make some waves! assuming it's implemented correctly and has parking mode and motion sensors.

I just wish we had OEM dash cam as an option. Just save in case of any safety system being triggered. Cameras are already there!

Back