How to test Smart City Brake Support?

Mine doesn't work. I stacked two large boxes got up to 5 mph took my foot off the gas and didn't turn the steering wheel, and it was not going to stop. I hit the brakes just in time to not hit them. Mazda shouldn't say the car has this system since it doesn't work. On the positive side it is a feature that I don't want since I don't want the car braking for me unexpectedly. On the negative side it made the car more expensive.

Poor test. If you put one of these Kardashian cutouts in front of it, go the proper speed and it runs it over you know working.
kendall-jenner-lifesize-cardboard-cutout-177cm-product-image.jpg

I think I'd have trouble maintaining proper speed.. I might continue accelerating into excessive speed, lol.

Here's a crash test clip that uses something more realistic than cardboard boxes, tin foil, and stationary pedestrians. Skip to about 1:49.

this system worked great on all the mazdas that i have driven so far.
I would take a big box make sure it's taller than the hood line, drive for it at above 5mph and it'll stop all so suddenly right before.

I am going to test it again. I see that the front sensor points a bit to the right. Maybe my boxes were just not fat enough. I will drive towards the left side of the boxes and see what happens and post a follow up.

this system worked great on all the mazdas that i have driven so far.
I would take a big box make sure it's taller than the hood line, drive for it at above 5mph and it'll stop all so suddenly right before.

Yeah, and the key is to BELIEVE. Let it do it's thing. DON'T PUN OUT! It really doesn't stop until the very last second.

Yeah, and the key is to BELIEVE. Let it do it's thing. DON'T PUN OUT! It really doesn't stop until the very last second.

What he said. I can't believe you were afraid to hit boxes. BOXES. Hit them. Trust me, it works. I couldn't get it to work in my driveway, but it worked when I needed it and kept me from tapping a guy in front of me.

I also think that when the testing outfits such as NCAP and IIHS test they do so at 12 MPH not 5 MPH.

Though Id just trust the places like IIHS then risk damage to my personal vehicle. Please dont test the airbags.

Still didn't work and I used more boxes. I tried setting it to 'Far' as well. Who knows. I do see the sensor through the windshield so it is installed. Something in my test isn't right but I don't know what. Maybe it has to be a reflective material for it to work or maybe the car has to go faster than 5mph to work which I won't risk for a test. I wouldn't be able to brake in time and I don't want to run over a pile of boxes in a shiny new car :)

I've never tested mine (Mazda 6), but in the year that I've owned it, it has kicked in twice, so I know it works.
When it kicks in, and you don't expect it, it's a real shock, especially the first time.

Coasting at 5mph or less (no foot on the gas) is not going to trigger it.
If you're going to test it, do it more realistically. Take it up to 15-20 mph, and don't let off the gas. Don't chicken out.
Maybe drape a thick blanket over the boxes just in case.

Last edited:
I've never tested mine (Mazda 6), but in the year that I've owned it, it has kicked in twice, so I know it works.
When it kicks in, and you don't expect it, it's a real shock, especially the first time.

Coasting at 5mph or less (no foot on the gas) is not going to trigger it.
If you're going to test it, do it more realistically. Take it up to 15-20 mph, and don't let off the gas. Don't chicken out.
Maybe drape a thick blanket over the boxes just in case.

I should have read the manual first. It doesn't work under 10 mph. I am not going to drive 10 mph at a pile of boxes :)

I should have read the manual first. It doesn't work under 10 mph. I am not going to drive 10 mph at a pile of boxes :)

String a flat light piece of cardboard across your path, put some aluminum foil on the cardboard, and gun it!

Yeah, there's no way I was doing 10 when mine went off. I only took my foot off the brake and didn't give it gas. Car in front of me didn't turn and my car stopped.

Reread that. It's good down to 2mph.

You are right, I spilled over to the Smart Brake Support. I can't figure out what the manual is saying. It is ambiguous. It talks about Smart City Brake Support, Advanced Smart City Brake Support, Smart Brake Support. I guess it is one of those systems that is rarely used and accept that it works. Like airbags.

Back