How to test Smart City Brake Support?

The main issue, which anyone whos had a dash cam long will know, is they destroy SD cards. This could be a potential warranty nightmare. But imo its a solvable engineering problem. Like loop in regular volatile memory and only save to the SSD essentially when triggered by the user or an event with one of the safety systems.

The main issue, which anyone who*s had a dash cam long will know, is they destroy SD cards. This could be a potential warranty nightmare. But imo it*s a solvable engineering problem. Like loop in regular volatile memory and only save to the SSD essentially when triggered by the user or an event with one of the safety systems.

Yeah I've lost one 32gb micro SD card so far to a dashcam. Only lasted a month. To be fair, it was my fault for using a regular SD card instead of one specifically for dashcams. The card I'm currently using is a Transcend High Endurance 32gb, and it's been great.

I just wish we had OEM dash cam as an option. Just save in case of any safety system being triggered. Cameras are already there!

I was going to suggest this very thing. I have a dash cam and I end up having a wire hanging down that goes to the power supply.

Yeah I've lost one 32gb micro SD card so far to a dashcam. Only lasted a month. To be fair, it was my fault for using a regular SD card instead of one specifically for dashcams. The card I'm currently using is a Transcend High Endurance 32gb, and it's been great.

I have been using the same micro SD card for the life of my dash cam, over a year. It just loops and writes over older files. I am using a Mobius which a lot of model aviators use in their airplanes. It has pretty good resolution but it isn't the best.

The SD card will fail eventually. Samsung for example actually calls out in their warranty that its void if used in a dash cam.

i have it professionally installed so that all the wires are hidden, however with that said, it's also a pain to remove them when you finally decide to change cars =P

I was going to suggest this very thing. I have a dash cam and I end up having a wire hanging down that goes to the power supply.

Okay back to the Smart City Braking issue. On the internet Mazda says that a infrared laser is used to do the detection. So I used my smartphone's camera, which can 'see' infrared lasers, to check if the laser was being emitted. It was not. I had the ebrake on with the car in drive. I don't think the 2018 Sport trim has it even though the sticker says it does. If that is the case I think Mazda owes us something for incorrect listing, like an extra couple years of warranty service. That is what Hyundai did when they had an incorrect horsepower listed on the sticker.

Okay back to the Smart City Braking issue. On the internet Mazda says that a infrared laser is used to do the detection. So I used my smartphone's camera, which can 'see' infrared lasers, to check if the laser was being emitted. It was not. I had the ebrake on with the car in drive. I don't think the 2018 Sport trim has it even though the sticker says it does. If that is the case I think Mazda owes us something for incorrect listing, like an extra couple years of warranty service. That is what Hyundai did when they had an incorrect horsepower listed on the sticker.

The laser should be emitting from the Mazda Badge, is your mazda badge have a glass cover?

There is no "laser" on a CX-5. What you're all thinking of is lidar, but it's not used. MRCC is radar, and is located behind the badge. Also in the back for cross traffic warning and BSM. There's a camera behind the mirror that inputs a multitude of other parameters and is used for SCBS. SBS, active at speeds above 10mph, uses both the radar and the camera.

Again, 100% no doubt it works below 10 Shado. Source: clearly worked twice for me at below that speed.

Again, 100% no doubt it works below 10 Shado. Source: clearly worked twice for me at below that speed.

Indeed, 7, you misread. I KNOW it works from personal experience, high AND low speed. That doesn't mean it will work every time for every one in every situation, but it hasn't let me hit anything, and it has stopped me a couple of times. And no false positives. So I have no problem with it.

I was merely correcting the misconception that these cars have "laser". I wonder where that ever came from.

BTW, I consider them the same system, high and low speed, despite them using different inputs, and having different names. They do the same thing: prevent collisions.

I was merely correcting the misconception that these cars have "laser". I wonder where that ever came from.

That's because the 2016 CX5 GT with Tech Package did come with a laser. I know because I owned one and it was mounted on the windshield and it had a warning saying it is a laser. In 2017+ Mazda got rid of the laser and went radar and camera only.

That's because the 2016 CX5 GT with Tech Package did come with a laser. I know because I owned one and it was mounted on the windshield and it had a warning saying it is a laser. In 2017+ Mazda got rid of the laser and went radar and camera only.

Thanks for the explanation. Being new to Mazda in 17, I did not know that. Guess it wasn't satisfactory.

Lbear, why did you replace a 16 GT with a 17 Touring?

Back