Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: How to test Smart City Brake Support?

Registered Member

2017 CX-5

The main issue, which anyone whoís had a dash cam long will know, is they destroy SD cards. This could be a potential warranty nightmare. But imo itís a solvable engineering problem. Like loop in regular volatile memory and only save to the SSD essentially when triggered by the user or an event with one of the safety systems.

Donated: $25

2018 Mazda CX-9 Signature

Quote Originally Posted by jthj View Post
    The main issue, which anyone who*s had a dash cam long will know, is they destroy SD cards. This could be a potential warranty nightmare. But imo it*s a solvable engineering problem. Like loop in regular volatile memory and only save to the SSD essentially when triggered by the user or an event with one of the safety systems.
    Yeah I've lost one 32gb micro SD card so far to a dashcam. Only lasted a month. To be fair, it was my fault for using a regular SD card instead of one specifically for dashcams. The card I'm currently using is a Transcend High Endurance 32gb, and it's been great.

Registered Member

2018 CX-5 Sport

Quote Originally Posted by jthj View Post
    I just wish we had OEM dash cam as an option. Just save in case of any safety system being triggered. Cameras are already there!
    I was going to suggest this very thing. I have a dash cam and I end up having a wire hanging down that goes to the power supply.

Registered Member

2018 CX-5 Sport

Quote Originally Posted by sm1ke View Post
    Yeah I've lost one 32gb micro SD card so far to a dashcam. Only lasted a month. To be fair, it was my fault for using a regular SD card instead of one specifically for dashcams. The card I'm currently using is a Transcend High Endurance 32gb, and it's been great.
    I have been using the same micro SD card for the life of my dash cam, over a year. It just loops and writes over older files. I am using a Mobius which a lot of model aviators use in their airplanes. It has pretty good resolution but it isn't the best.

Registered Member

2017 CX-5

The SD card will fail eventually. Samsung for example actually calls out in their warranty that itís void if used in a dash cam.

Registered Member

2014 Mazda 3 sGT. 2019 cx-3 awd touring

i have it professionally installed so that all the wires are hidden, however with that said, it's also a pain to remove them when you finally decide to change cars =P

Quote Originally Posted by MyFirstMazda View Post
    I was going to suggest this very thing. I have a dash cam and I end up having a wire hanging down that goes to the power supply.

Registered Member

2018 CX-5 Sport

Okay back to the Smart City Braking issue. On the internet Mazda says that a infrared laser is used to do the detection. So I used my smartphone's camera, which can 'see' infrared lasers, to check if the laser was being emitted. It was not. I had the ebrake on with the car in drive. I don't think the 2018 Sport trim has it even though the sticker says it does. If that is the case I think Mazda owes us something for incorrect listing, like an extra couple years of warranty service. That is what Hyundai did when they had an incorrect horsepower listed on the sticker.

Registered Member

Okay back to the Smart City Braking issue. On the internet Mazda says that a infrared laser is used to do the detection. So I used my smartphone's camera, which can 'see' infrared lasers, to check if the laser was being emitted. It was not. I had the ebrake on with the car in drive. I don't think the 2018 Sport trim has it even though the sticker says it does. If that is the case I think Mazda owes us something for incorrect listing, like an extra couple years of warranty service. That is what Hyundai did when they had an incorrect horsepower listed on the sticker.
    The laser should be emitting from the Mazda Badge, is your mazda badge have a glass cover?

Registered Member

2018 CX-5 Sport

Quote Originally Posted by Young-nyc View Post
    The laser should be emitting from the Mazda Badge, is your mazda badge have a glass cover?
    No, it is the regular Mazda badge in the grill.

Registered Member

No, it is the regular Mazda badge in the grill.
    Oh right the glass badge is for the radar cruise control

Donated: $5

2017 CX-5 GT AWD Tech

There is no "laser" on a CX-5. What you're all thinking of is lidar, but it's not used. MRCC is radar, and is located behind the badge. Also in the back for cross traffic warning and BSM. There's a camera behind the mirror that inputs a multitude of other parameters and is used for SCBS. SBS, active at speeds above 10mph, uses both the radar and the camera.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345