How to test Smart City Brake Support?

:
2018 CX-5 Sport
I tried to test it by driving into my garage door but it didn't stop. No worries I hit the brake before crashing (spin)

You probably hit the brake too soon.

But I wouldnt suggest testing it. When done typically its on a test track with a large inflatable obstacle so there is minimal damage if it doesnt stop.

If you want to test it, put a big paper box in an empty parking lot and try it.
Search the youtube. A guy in Taiwan already tested four diff CUVs for viewers.
CX5 works fine.

Mine triggered a couple times in my ownership.
I usually pull into the driveway too fast than what Mazda likes...... it braked before I could hit the brake.....
right in front of the garage doors.

If you want to test it, put a big paper box in an empty parking lot and try it.
Search the youtube. A guy in Taiwan already tested four diff CUVs for viewers.
CX5 works fine.

Mine triggered a couple times in my ownership.
I usually pull into the driveway too fast than what Mazda likes...... it braked before I could hit the brake.....
right in front of the garage doors.

Sometimes a little too sensitive, but definitely works.

I tried to test it by driving into my garage door but it didn't stop. No worries I hit the brake before crashing (spin)

It doesn't work under 2mph or if you're "driving". I know that doesn't seem to make sense, but the manual says:

* **Under the following conditions, the Smart City Brake Support (SCBS) system may not
operate normally:
* **The Smart City Brake Support (SCBS) system will not operate if the driver is
deliberately performing driving operations (accelerator pedal and steering wheel).
***If there is the possibility of partial contact with a vehicle ahead.*
**The vehicle is driven on a slippery road surface such as wet roads or icy or snowbound roads.
***The braking performance is adversely affected due to cold temperatures or wet brakes.*
**The vehicle is driven at the same speed as the vehicle ahead.
***The accelerator pedal is depressed.*
**The brake pedal is depressed.
***The steering wheel is being operated.*
**The selector lever is being operated

The steering wheel is being operated?!

Glad your door is ok!

Ive never had mine actually apply the brakes but I have had it beep at me a few times. Typically when someone is about to turn in front of me and it thinks Im going to hit them because it doesnt realize theyre turning.

It works fine. This comes up every few months. Not sure why so many people don*t trust this feature.

In fact, it's just for when the driver blows it. If you're driving well, it should never be an issue. If you screw up, just hope it works!

It's really hard to stay off the brake to test it in the real world. It really does brake later than I EVER would.

Exactly they dont want it to be intrusive or have false positive so its going to wait till the last possible moment to brake for you.

Okay thanks guys, that makes sense. I did brake such that I stopped smoothly, meaning I hit the brakes before getting to close. And I was going slow. Using a bag is a great idea. A bag can't hurt anything. I want to make a youtube video of it work too. I like this car, it is very nice. I made one video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GP5_8LtViNs

In fact, it's just for when the driver blows it. If you're driving well, it should never be an issue. If you screw up, just hope it works!

It's really hard to stay off the brake to test it in the real world. It really does brake later than I EVER would.

I found it over aggressive. It would activate if I got too close to someone making a turn in front of me, and low hanging branches over my driveway set it off numerous times.

I found it over aggressive. It would activate if I got too close to someone making a turn in front of me, and low hanging branches over my driveway set it off numerous times.

Yeah, I've had it get confused a few times changing lanes in heavy freeway traffic. I guess that wouldn't be the "city" part of smart brake support. I don't know why Mazda considers them two separate systems. In any case, you definitely DON'T want it second guessing you!

Have you disabled it, banjos?

Last edited:
Yeah, I've had it get confused a few times changing lanes in heavy freeway traffic. I guess that wouldn't be the "city" part of smart brake support. I don't know why Mazda considers them two separate systems. In any case, you definitely DON'T want it second guessing you!

Um, kind of. I traded it in for my Infiniti. Lol.

I think city is the low speed one. I forget the name for the high speed one.

I tried it with a tall box. Didn't work. I don't think it was wide enough.

That Mazda 6 video is total BS. He's going way too slow. It's not going to work at that speed. Garbage.

Poor test. If you put one of these Kardashian cutouts in front of it, go the proper speed and it runs it over you know working.
kendall-jenner-lifesize-cardboard-cutout-177cm-product-image.jpg

Back