New Member Here...Considering CX-9

Regarding "occasional" third-row use, my executive staff team from work goes out to lunch together every Wednesday. Last week I drove six of them in my 2018 CX-9, with two men in the third-row seats (both 180-200lb, one over 6'). The drive was only about ten minutes, but both said that they'd be willing to ride back there again.

That is what I don't get with some of the reviews. The 3rd row seats are small but similar to what is in every competing vehicle (save one or two).

I drove a Genesis G80 earlier today* very nice vehicle, but not worth the price. The interior of the CX-9 is better quality, better visibility, and more fun to drive. The engine noise upon acceleration is more muted with the Genesis, but I would say the overall noise level is about equal*both very quiet.
I was going to test drive a Sorento, but I really don*t see the point. I want a CX-9. Now begins the dreaded negotiation process...

I was going to test drive a Sorento, but I really don*t see the point. I want a CX-9. Now begins the dreaded negotiation process...

Actually, I recommend it. It is a nice car and the interior is very appealing. The panoramic roof is something that I really wish Mazda would start doing. It just makes the interior very bright and airy. The materials are also very nice - although it does have a lot more pure plastic than the CX_9. The rear seats are also comfortable and there is more leg room there as well. I also like the placement of the rear USB plugs better.

What lets the Sorento down is the looks - it is but ugly and the ride - it is even more lumbering and wallowing than the Highlander and our Odyssey mini van. The ride is just miserable. The V6 might be faster and might have more of everything on paper but feels like a slug.

The best way to describe the Sorento, in my opinion, is a mid-size SUV that is really designed to compete with a mini-van. The drive and handling are very similar but has AWD and the benefit of not being a mini-van.

It is a very different vehicle than the CX-9 and a great car to drive to see what is different between the two brands.

Last edited:
Actually, I recommend it. It is a nice car and the interior is very appealing. The panoramic roof is something that I really wish Mazda would start doing. It just makes the interior very bright and airy. The materials are also very nice - although it does have a lot more pure plastic than the CX_9. The rear seats are also comfortable and there is more leg room there as well. I also like the placement of the rear USB plugs better.

What lets the Sorento down is the looks - it is but ugly and the ride - it is even more lumbering and wallowing than the Highlander and our Odyssey mini van. The ride is just miserable. The V6 might be faster and might have more of everything on paper but feels like a slug.

The best way to describe the Sorento, in my opinion, is a mid-size SUV that is really designed to compete with a mini-van. The drive and handling are very similar but has AWD and the benefit of not being a mini-van.

It is a very different vehicle than the CX-9 and a great car to drive to see what is different between the two brands.

I did sit in one a couple of weeks ago, and I was surprised that interior was as nice as it was (it looks cheap in the online pictures). I do much prefer the interior of the CX-9, however. Oddly enough, I like the exterior--It reminds me of an MDX. I like the size of it as well--in between the CX-5 and CX-9. (My ideal vehicle would be to bring back the CX-7 with the 19" wheels and the Signature interior from the CX-5.). However, I also want to get away from the ride of my Odyssey as well--so I am pretty much decided on the CX-9.

Have you begun negotiating yet?

It's nice to see so many offerings in this segment (though it's been quite saturated for a while now). On one hand, you have the Sorento, which many would agree is a minivan for someone who doesn't want to actually drive a minivan. On the other hand, you have the CX-9, which makes some compromises in order to feel and drive like a much smaller vehicle. Then you have vehicles like the GC SRT and the Durango SRT for the extremists, and vehicles like the MDX and the Santa Fe for those closer to the "middle".

I picked up a 2019 Signature last month. I would recommend this car for the price if you need 7 seats occasionally. It is very good value, very good looking, and decent to drive for its size. Below are some things I think they could improve.

- Leather stitching quality.
- No memory side mirror.
- Camera resolution is very bad.
- No touch screen for Android Auto.
- Heated seat doesn't heat up very evenly. Mostly your butt will feel all the heat and your thigh is still cool.
- Heated steering wheel only heated on 3 and 9 positions.
- Less storage compartment than my previous BMW 3 series in front. Could use a slightly bigger glove box.

Overall I think these are minor nitpicks most people can live with.
So far we are enjoying the CX9 but my wife misses the sportiness of the little 3er.

I picked up a 2019 Signature last month. I would recommend this car for the price if you need 7 seats occasionally. It is very good value, very good looking, and decent to drive for its size. Below are some things I think they could improve.

- No memory side mirror.
- Heated seat doesn't heat up very evenly. Mostly your butt will feel all the heat and your thigh is still cool.
- Less storage compartment than my previous BMW 3 series in front. Could use a slightly bigger glove box.

So far we are enjoying the CX9 but my wife misses the sportiness of the little 3er.

I have the same nitpicks with mine. Some of it is indeed odd. The stitching is great in some areas on the seats (mainly where your body makes contact), but seems totally different from the stitching on the back of the seat and around the lower bolsters. Heated full seat is something that would be a nice improvement. For me, I'd like the heated seat to also heat my back. Heated steering wheel should also heat the 5 and 7 positions. And the armrest area and storage could be bigger. I also don't like the split opening design of the armrest lid.

I did sit in one a couple of weeks ago, and I was surprised that interior was as nice as it was (it looks cheap in the online pictures). I do much prefer the interior of the CX-9, however. Oddly enough, I like the exterior--It reminds me of an MDX. I like the size of it as well--in between the CX-5 and CX-9. (My ideal vehicle would be to bring back the CX-7 with the 19" wheels and the Signature interior from the CX-5.). However, I also want to get away from the ride of my Odyssey as well--so I am pretty much decided on the CX-9.

Have you begun negotiating yet?

So, I ended up buying a 2018 Signature in machine grey. The price was hard to beat. First, the dealers had no 2019 in anything but black, which is a color I was not interested in. Second, they agreed to put in CarPlay for free. Ended up with 38700 with a platinum bumper to bumper extended warranty. Will pick up tomorrow as they are putting in the CarPlay now and I could not get back there till morning.

So, I ended up buying a 2018 Signature in machine grey. The price was hard to beat. First, the dealers had no 2019 in anything but black, which is a color I was not interested in. Second, they agreed to put in CarPlay for free. Ended up with 38700 with a platinum bumper to bumper extended warranty. Will pick up tomorrow as they are putting in the CarPlay now and I could not get back there till morning.

Congratulations!

Seems like a solid deal, at least to me. Having the extended warranty and Carplay thrown in, at the price you got it for, seems like a worthwhile trade-off to having the around view monitor, folding side mirrors, and ventilated seats especially if these new features weren't really high on the list of must haves. Congrats and enjoy your new ride.

Congratulations!

Thanks!

Seems like a solid deal, at least to me. Having the extended warranty and Carplay thrown in, at the price you got it for, seems like a worthwhile trade-off to having the around view monitor, folding side mirrors, and ventilated seats especially if these new features weren't really high on the list of must haves. Congrats and enjoy your new ride.

Yeah, the car was actually in the showroom and only had 7 miles. I added another 16 and it now has 23. Carplay being thrown in was the minimum. The extended warranty was a big bonus and I tried for a hitch but they talked there way out of that. But I am happy and can't wait to pick it up tomorrow.

Send out emails to all the dealers who have the cx-9 you want. That's what I did, negotiated via email only and text when I honed it down. With it being the end of the year you should get a good deal.

I got the 2018 signature machine gray signature for $39k and received 2 offers on a 2019 signature black for $41,9xx

Send out emails to all the dealers who have the cx-9 you want. That's what I did, negotiated via email only and text when I honed it down. With it being the end of the year you should get a good deal.

I got the 2018 signature machine gray signature for $39k and received 2 offers on a 2019 signature black for $41,9xx

Do those prices include any rebates?

- No memory side mirror.

Yeah, I think your negatives are spot on. Mazda heated seats just don't work that well. And the center console compartment is ridiculously small as is the glove box. Many 3 row SUV's are "mini-vans" with a different exterior (Pilot and Highlander). The CX-9 is not and is more like the MDX in that regard (but without the MDX center console which is fantastic).

I find the heated seats get very warm. Always have to turn them down after a bit.

You know, in our demo, I felt they worked really well. In the car we ended up getting, not so much. I wonder if they just need some time.

Yeah, I think your negatives are spot on. Mazda heated seats just don't work that well. And the center console compartment is ridiculously small as is the glove box. Many 3 row SUV's are "mini-vans" with a different exterior (Pilot and Highlander). The CX-9 is not and is more like the MDX in that regard (but without the MDX center console which is fantastic).

True. I guess it's a trade off for the design vs practicality. The Mazda looks better and drives better at the cost of space.

True. I guess it's a trade off for the design vs practicality. The Mazda looks better and drives better at the cost of space.

Agreed. I feel it handles better than my 2014 CX-5. Really like this car.

Last edited:
let us know when you get the cx-9.
I really like the cx-9 but do not own one,
I'm going for the cx-5 signature and when that lease is up,
i'm hoping i timed it well enough so that I can get right into the next gen cx-9.
crossing fingers for a pano roof =P

Back