New Member Here...Considering CX-9

That is very interesting! I considered the Highlander for the reliability, even though I was not crazy about the exterior. What really killed my enthusiasm, was the fact that the upper two trims have wheel covers instead of real wheels... I agree that the Sorento was better than expected, and I also like (and looked at) the MDX, but hate the two screens and the price tag to get the features I want. I think the RDX looks hideous. I had the same thought about getting a Signature CX-5, but when sitting in one, it seemed a bit cramped.

The only other car that I really liked besides the CX-9 was a used AWD MDX. You can get a 2016 model for ~30-34K. Most in that price range have roughly 16-50K miles on them but they will still be solid. I liked the way the MDX drives. I think it handles as well as the CX-9 and I love the center console and storage but the 3rd row seats are even smaller than the CX-9. My 17 year old son could fit in the 3rd row CX-9 but not in the MDX when I was in the 2nd row. The MDX did not feel much faster than the CX-9 and I absolutely hated the infotainment system and the push button transmission. Makes no sense, but I found the 9-speed on the MDX to be more CVT like than I would have thought and kinda clunky at times. Very similar to the Odyssey in that way. But overall, a great car and one that could be had (granted used) for a great price. Nothing else really compared honestly.

I picked up a 2019 Signature last month. I would recommend this car for the price if you need 7 seats occasionally. It is very good value, very good looking, and decent to drive for its size. Below are some things I think they could improve.

- Leather stitching quality.
- No memory side mirror.
- Camera resolution is very bad.
- No touch screen for Android Auto.
- Heated seat doesn't heat up very evenly. Mostly your butt will feel all the heat and your thigh is still cool.
- Heated steering wheel only heated on 3 and 9 positions.
- Less storage compartment than my previous BMW 3 series in front. Could use a slightly bigger glove box.

Overall I think these are minor nitpicks most people can live with.
So far we are enjoying the CX9 but my wife misses the sportiness of the little 3er.

Just to add one thing, the rear camera is actually worse in this car than in the 2017 Mazda 3. Makes no sense.

Just to add one thing, the rear camera is actually worse in this car than in the 2017 Mazda 3. Makes no sense.

I'm driving a 2018 CX9 Touring loaner. The rear view camera is so much sharper than the 2019. I guess they need to swap the rear camera to the cheap wide angle camera to get the 360 view.

Back