New Member Here...Considering CX-9

Well, it just so happens that I came across a black CX-9 at the gas station this morning--It was stunning! (You really can't appreciate the stying of the CX-9 when it is on the dealer's lot amongst all the others.) I may have to rethink my color choice--But then I will be forced to get the Signature with the auburn seats to set it off...

Speaking of colors, my other preferences are either silver or gray--What is so special about Machine Gray that warrants the $300 premium?

Virtually every publication rates CX-9 best in class. If you analyze everything, it truly is the best package. Some will naturally come to different conclusions based on priorities, but if everyone at least sat in and drove the CX-9, it would be a best seller. It is low volume strictly because Mazda is simply off the radar of so many people.

Even if you consider the shortcoming of absolute space, the reality is that the CX-9 holds a huge amount of stuff or 7 people comfortably. Few people regularly would fill an Atlas, Pilot, or Traverse to the roof. I took a trip from MA to Disney World and brought two full sized strollers, 4 large suit cases, a large cooler, a few carry on size bags, a case of bottled water, and more and was able to see out the back window. Kids were in 2nd row so all this was behind 2nd row.

Virtually every publication rates CX-9 best in class. If you analyze everything, it truly is the best package. Some will naturally come to different conclusions based on priorities, but if everyone at least sat in and drove the CX-9, it would be a best seller. It is low volume strictly because Mazda is simply off the radar of so many people.

Even if you consider the shortcoming of absolute space, the reality is that the CX-9 holds a huge amount of stuff or 7 people comfortably. Few people regularly would fill an Atlas, Pilot, or Traverse to the roof. I took a trip from MA to Disney World and brought two full sized strollers, 4 large suit cases, a large cooler, a few carry on size bags, a case of bottled water, and more and was able to see out the back window. Kids were in 2nd row so all this was behind 2nd row.

The lack of absolute space does not bother me at all--If I ever need that much cargo space, I can rent a truck. The front and second row comfort are of more importance, and the available space to load an oddball item (without having to tie down the trunk) is a bonus.

(rofl)...For $20.00.

Yup, which is why I'll never buy a pickup truck. When I need to haul something big once a year, it's nothing to rent one, especially from Home Depot and Lowe's. It takes 3 minutes from them.

It is going to take more than that to scare me away! (Thanks for the input.)

Did yours come with Falkens or Bridgestones?

Came with Falkens but test drove another with Bridgestones that vibrated much worse. After 3 roadforce balances and 1 new tire its better. Have put another 2000 miles and it seems to have gotten better with time. The Falkens also get very stiff in the cold weather weve had this week but thats not unusual for all season tires.

Well, it looks like my choices have been narrowed down--I mentioned in my original post that I was also considering a Genesis G80 (even though it may seem as an unlikely comparison). I could not figure out why I have not seen any on the local Hyundai lots, and the Genesis dealer in the next town only has a couple of 2018s, with 6000 miles. Then, I came across this (It kind of reminds me of when Mazda went upscale years ago with the 929):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=486&v=7CiFUwk86q0

Last edited:
Well, it looks like my choices have been narrowed down--I mentioned in my original post that I was also considering a Genesis G80 (even though it may seem as an unlikely comparison). I could not figure out why I have not seen any on the local Hyundai lots, and the Genesis dealer in the next town only has a couple of 2018s, with 6000 miles. Then, I came across this (It kind of reminds me of when Mazda went upscale years ago with the 929):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=486&v=7CiFUwk86q0

Can't watch the video at the moment but I always wondered why the Genesis brand never took off. They got all that free press initially by using the wing design that was very similar to a Bentley and got sued.

Well, it just so happens that I came across a black CX-9 at the gas station this morning--It was stunning! (You really can't appreciate the stying of the CX-9 when it is on the dealer's lot amongst all the others.) I may have to rethink my color choice--But then I will be forced to get the Signature with the auburn seats to set it off...

Speaking of colors, my other preferences are either silver or gray--What is so special about Machine Gray that warrants the $300 premium?

The Machine Grey is probably one of their most popular colours aside from the Crystal red...it*s also available in the Sig trim unlike the crystal red that*s only up to GT. For me the grey stands out esp when it is cloudy unlike other grey colours in other vehicles. What*s special about the $300 up charge I believe is the way they apply the paint primer and coating...

The Machine Grey is probably one of their most popular colours aside from the Crystal red...it*s also available in the Sig trim unlike the crystal red that*s only up to GT. For me the grey stands out esp when it is cloudy unlike other grey colours in other vehicles. What*s special about the $300 up charge I believe is the way they apply the paint primer and coating...

What tekbis said. It's almost like the grey has more depth to it. For example, it looks better in the sun compared to the silver on my dad's old Highlander or the silver on my old IS250. In addition to that, when the sky is overcast, the grey still has some depth to it while the silvers would be washed out with the lack of sunlight. Hope I'm explaining that clearly, lol.

Drove a Machine Gray GT this morning*very impressive! (There was no vibration at all.) I am not sure about the gray*it is nice enough, but to my eyes, does not seem to be anything special. My dealer does not have any silver to compare, other than a CX-5. I can*t get the black one out of my mind, that I saw the other day*but I am afraid I am too OCD...

Last edited:
Drove a Machine Gray GT this morning*very impressive! (There was no vibration at all.) I am not sure about the gray*it is nice enough, but to my eyes, does not seem to be anything special. My dealer does not have any silver to compare, other than a CX-5. I can*t get the black one out of my mind, that I saw the other day*but I am afraid I am too OCD...

Thats good news on vibration but Make sure you get car up to 75MPH when test driving the actual car you are going to purchase.

Thats good news on vibration but Make sure you get car up to 75MPH when test driving the actual car you are going to purchase.

That was not a problem! I had a hard time holding it under 80MPH--I swear the odometer reads 10MPH high...

I became obsessed with the black one (of course I'm already biased towards that color). I get many compliments about my 2018 Black CX-9 Sig, more towards the interior than the exterior, go figure.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

I became obsessed with the black one (of course I'm already biased towards that color). I get many compliments about my 2018 Black CX-9 Sig, more towards the interior than the exterior, go figure.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

I think the Signature interior looks especially good with black. Otherwise, I am not sure it I like it more than the GT interior. Actually, I prefer the Signature interior of the CX-5. Also, I would consider the Eternal Blue Mica if it was available on the CX-9--because it would be different from all of the black/gray/silver/ that is so common...

I think the Signature interior looks especially good with black. Otherwise, I am not sure it I like it more than the GT interior. Actually, I prefer the Signature interior of the CX-5. Also, I would consider the Eternal Blue Mica if it was available on the CX-9--because it would be different from all of the black/gray/silver/ that is so common...

Same here. I actually would have even considered the Titanium Flash Mica with Sand interior if the color was available in the Signature and Sand-colored nappa leather was an option.

Black is a fantastic color when it's clean and well-maintained. You have to be very careful about washing the car and diligent in your polish/wax regimen. I feel like you'd also have to wax/polish more often as the slightest imperfections would show on a black car. But man, it would be beautiful..

Same here. I actually would have even considered the Titanium Flash Mica with Sand interior if the color was available in the Signature and Sand-colored nappa leather was an option.

Black is a fantastic color when it's clean and well-maintained. You have to be very careful about washing the car and diligent in your polish/wax regimen. I feel like you'd also have to wax/polish more often as the slightest imperfections would show on a black car. But man, it would be beautiful..

I concur, I'm always washing via car wash, but I knew that going in...I'm going to throw another wax/polish before the winter gets too harsh. On a secondary, I am blessed that my Sig is garage kept for the most part.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

Regarding "occasional" third-row use, my executive staff team from work goes out to lunch together every Wednesday. Last week I drove six of them in my 2018 CX-9, with two men in the third-row seats (both 180-200lb, one over 6'). The drive was only about ten minutes, but both said that they'd be willing to ride back there again.

I drove a Genesis G80 earlier today* very nice vehicle, but not worth the price. The interior of the CX-9 is better quality, better visibility, and more fun to drive. The engine noise upon acceleration is more muted with the Genesis, but I would say the overall noise level is about equal*both very quiet.

Back