New Member Here...Considering CX-9

:
Mazda CX-9 2019
Hi:

I am in the market for a new vehicle to replace my 2010 Honda Odyssey Touring. There are only two of us, so I do not need the passenger capacity of a van or even a Crossover/SUV. The reason I am considering a crossover, is for the roomy second row, and the occasional times I need the cargo capacity. Having been a Honda/Acura owner for 30+ years, I naturally began my search with the Honda Pilot, but to be honest, I just could not get enthused--the only quality I liked, was Honda's version of SH-AWD... I moved on to the VW Atlas, because I liked the clean lines and the interior--but I have owned 2 VWs in the past, and both had quality issues. Also, I just can't get past the fake wood trim and exhaust outlets, not to mention that a power front passenger seat is not available, even at $50,000!

Long story short, I drove by the Mazda dealership several times, and just was not sure of the exterior stying of the CX-9. Finally, one day I went inside and sat in one--I was blown away by the quality of the interior! The exterior is now starting to grow on me as well--at least it makes sense to me, and I can appreciate the design--especially in contrast to a Toyota or Lexus product with all of their weird lines. The Mazda also has the primary features I am looking for, without having to go to the top trim level--specifically, heated/ventilated front seats/with a power passenger seat, and heated rear seats.

I am also considering a Kia Sorento and a Genesis G80 (comfortable rear seats, but giving up the cargo space). I just keep coming back to the CX-9--However, after browsing through this forum, I do have a few reservations about build quality/reliability, weak AC, etc... So, I would greatly appreciated feedback from owners who have had a CX-9 for a few years, to see if you are still pleased or have any regrets.

Thanks in advance!

I've only had my 2018 CX-9 GT since August but I love my car:

- A/C & Heat work perfect IMO
- Build quality wise the only issue i have is they seem to use less coats of paint than other manufactures ( def get ceramic coating or car bra if aesthetics is something you value.) Other than that I guess they could come with better tires, the stock ones are ok but when they are done I'm def gonna be upgrading to higher end tires.
- This car drives very well and handles good, though compared to my sister's 2018 cx-5 that is a little more fun to drive.
- I got this car mainly because I'm always the driving friends to events and I also have two aussies

- Build quality wise the only issue i have is they seem to use less coats of paint than other manufactures ( def get ceramic coating or car bra if aesthetics is something you value.) Other than that I guess they could come with better tires, the stock ones are ok but when they are done I'm def gonna be upgrading to higher end tires.
- This car drives very well and handles good, though compared to my sister's 2018 cx-5 that is a little more fun to drive.
- I got this car mainly because I'm always the driving friends to events and I also have two aussies

Echoing ninja729's comments, the only thing I'd add is that reliability in my 2018 has been perfect. I've had mine since January. The most commonly reported issues seem to be infotainment-related, or the odd vibration issue that may be related to steering, suspension, or tires. I personally haven't experienced any of these issues. Stock tires were fine for the 13000 kms I had them on (replaced them with winter tires and then purchased a new set of wheels and tires for the summer).

If I was forced to trade it in, I think the only thing I might consider trading it in for is the 2019 MY, lol. I'd love to give the 2019 CX-5 a shot, but the wife insists on a 7-seater. I came from an older Lexus IS250, and while it was only entry-level "luxury", the CX-9's fit and finish does feel very Lexus-like.

Thanks! I have read other references to the thin paintThat is another example of what keeps holding me back... I am looking at the GT as well, and I know what you mean about the tiresI actually prefer the wheels/tires on the Touring. Since I am coming from a minivan, the handling will be a major improvement😀

I went through almost the exact process as you and had many of the same criteria. We ended up with the CX-9 and both my wife and I are very pleased with our decision. We've had ours for a few months, not years, but so far we are extremely happy with it. it's a great vehicle and a great value. It's not perfect, no car is.

Reliability was one of my primary concerns. For that reason I did something that I never do, I purchased an extended warranty. Of course shortly thereafter Consumer Reports updated their reliability ratings on the CX-9 to their highest rating in every category! The good news is that I was able to negotiate a very reasonable price for the warranty.

We live in the desert and the air conditioning/climate control is excellent. So far one weakness we've found is the nav system. It's not nearly as intuitive as our 2011 Acura was, although the infotainment setup in general is very convenient to use. I think we'll figure it out better with time.

Good luck with your search!

Hi:

I am in the market for a new vehicle to replace my 2010 Honda Odyssey Touring. There are only two of us, so I do not need the passenger capacity of a van or even a Crossover/SUV. The reason I am considering a crossover, is for the roomy second row, and the occasional times I need the cargo capacity. Having been a Honda/Acura owner for 30+ years, I naturally began my search with the Honda Pilot, but to be honest, I just could not get enthused--the only quality I liked, was Honda's version of SH-AWD... I moved on to the VW Atlas, because I liked the clean lines and the interior--but I have owned 2 VWs in the past, and both had quality issues. Also, I just can't get past the fake wood trim and exhaust outlets, not to mention that a power front passenger seat is not available, even at $50,000!

Long story short, I drove by the Mazda dealership several times, and just was not sure of the exterior stying of the CX-9. Finally, one day I went inside and sat in one--I was blown away by the quality of the interior! The exterior is now starting to grow on me as well--at least it makes sense to me, and I can appreciate the design--especially in contrast to a Toyota or Lexus product with all of their weird lines. The Mazda also has the primary features I am looking for, without having to go to the top trim level--specifically, heated/ventilated front seats/with a power passenger seat, and heated rear seats.

I am also considering a Kia Sorento and a Genesis G80 (comfortable rear seats, but giving up the cargo space). I just keep coming back to the CX-9--However, after browsing through this forum, I do have a few reservations about build quality/reliability, weak AC, etc... So, I would greatly appreciated feedback from owners who have had a CX-9 for a few years, to see if you are still pleased or have any regrets.

Thanks in advance!

Very interesting and we are in a similar position. We are in the thinking of trading our 2015 Honda Odyssey Touring Elite for a 2019 CX-9. Looked at the Highlander and Pilot and am not impressed. The Kia Sorento was actually much better than I expected but the ride was very Honda/Toyota like. But the interior I thought was nice. The car I do like is the Acura MDX. The two screen thing just kills me but I like the drive. I test drove the CX-9 in the past and will test drive the 2019 tomorrow. I will also drive the CX-5 signature to get an idea of what that car is like tomorrow as well.

New member myself. I just replaced my 2007 Honda Odyssey Touring with a 2019 CX-9 GT about two weeks ago. So far we love it! I've owned almost nothing but Honda too and initially was looking at an Acura MDX. We looked at a 2017 certified pre-owned MDX that was the same price as the CX-9 and we decided the features of the CX-9 were the winner hands down for the price point. It would have been about $15k more to get a new MDX similarly equipped. We had considered the CX-5 or RDX but we wanted the added flexibility of having the 3rd row. Our kids are teenagers now (oldest just started college) and we have two large dogs and the CX-9 has been great.

New member myself. I just replaced my 2007 Honda Odyssey Touring with a 2019 CX-9 GT about two weeks ago. So far we love it! I've owned almost nothing but Honda too and initially was looking at an Acura MDX. We looked at a 2017 certified pre-owned MDX that was the same price as the CX-9 and we decided the features of the CX-9 were the winner hands down for the price point. It would have been about $15k more to get a new MDX similarly equipped. We had considered the CX-5 or RDX but we wanted the added flexibility of having the 3rd row. Our kids are teenagers now (oldest just started college) and we have two large dogs and the CX-9 has been great.

We are a Honda family for the longest time but a few years back, I replaced my CR-V with a CX-5 and have not looked back.

I went through almost the exact process as you and had many of the same criteria. We ended up with the CX-9 and both my wife and I are very pleased with our decision. We've had ours for a few months, not years, but so far we are extremely happy with it. it's a great vehicle and a great value. It's not perfect, no car is.

Reliability was one of my primary concerns. For that reason I did something that I never do, I purchased an extended warranty. Of course shortly thereafter Consumer Reports updated their reliability ratings on the CX-9 to their highest rating in every category! The good news is that I was able to negotiate a very reasonable price for the warranty.

We live in the desert and the air conditioning/climate control is excellent. So far one weakness we've found is the nav system. It's not nearly as intuitive as our 2011 Acura was, although the infotainment setup in general is very convenient to use. I think we'll figure it out better with time.

Good luck with your search!

I used to subscribe to Consumer Reports online but cancelled. The last issue I have was the April autos issue, and ratings were not goodI did not realize they were upgraded. I have never considered extended warranties, but it may be worth considering at the right price.

Very interesting and we are in a similar position. We are in the thinking of trading our 2015 Honda Odyssey Touring Elite for a 2019 CX-9. Looked at the Highlander and Pilot and am not impressed. The Kia Sorento was actually much better than I expected but the ride was very Honda/Toyota like. But the interior I thought was nice. The car I do like is the Acura MDX. The two screen thing just kills me but I like the drive. I test drove the CX-9 in the past and will test drive the 2019 tomorrow. I will also drive the CX-5 signature to get an idea of what that car is like tomorrow as well.

That is very interesting! I considered the Highlander for the reliability, even though I was not crazy about the exterior. What really killed my enthusiasm, was the fact that the upper two trims have wheel covers instead of real wheels... I agree that the Sorento was better than expected, and I also like (and looked at) the MDX, but hate the two screens and the price tag to get the features I want. I think the RDX looks hideous. I had the same thought about getting a Signature CX-5, but when sitting in one, it seemed a bit cramped.

I spent six months analyzing my options (my needs are the same as yours). I found no greater reliability in Audi or Acura, and the CX-9 had better fuel economy. The Audi Q7 is nice, but there's a serious cost differential. The Volvos were a non-starter due to reliability and some weird drivability issues. No one seriously regards the Pilot or the Highlander as competitive in the interior or driving experiences. I LOVE my Signature's interior, and it doesn't drive like a truck.
I seriously thought about a Mercedes GLE, but the fuel economy is not competitive and the capital outlay is significant.
I'm unconvinced by Mazda's Lane-Keep Assist, but I've only owned mine for two weeks!

Had ours since June 2016, and its been almost perfect. The iPad display replaced early on, but thats it.
Still drives like new. Leather is still perfect. If I somehow wrecked it, a new CX9 would replace it.
Its not the largest inside, compared to my brothers Explorer, but its just so much more refined. My other brother has a new Acadia, and again, not nearly as nice.
I see many talk about the KIA, but I dont see the comparison. I have rented several for work, and while they are a good value, Im always happy to be back in my Mazda.

Had a Durango RT last week for work, and WOW, that Hemi is fantastic. The rest of the truck is ok, it really drives more truck-like. 21 mpg on a long trip, nursing the throttle. Not bad, for what it is.

are you sure you don't need a Buick Tour-X?

It pretty much has everything you are looking for and in the same price point. yes, I'm being serious. I think it is a decent land missile that will be overlooked.

...and you won't see yourself coming and going all the time.

it should handle michigan winters just fine.

p.s. - what about the new Volvo V60 T5 Momentum AWD (wagon) the 2019s are a huge step up from the 2018s and prior.

Last edited:

It pretty much has everything you are looking for and in the same price point. yes, I'm being serious. I think it is a decent land missile that will be overlooked.

p.s. - what about the new Volvo V60 T5 Momentum AWD (wagon) the 2019s are a huge step up from the 2018s and prior.

Yeah, but the cars you mentioned are all 5 seaters. I need the 3rd row for occasional usage. If you are just sticking to 5 seaters, there are lots of competitive options, including the CX-5, RDX and Q5 to just name a few.

In the 7 seaters category, there are fewer options.

Had my 19 GT for about 2 months and have done 3500 miles. I too use it as a 5 seater with extra cargo space. I have owned 2 Audi Q5s and currently have a 17 Lexus RX 350. I like the Mazda better than all of them. It rides better than the Audis, has a better transmission and equals it in interior quality. It drives substantially better than the Lexus which is laggy with a tranny that doesnt mesh well with the engine. The Mazda is very quiet and has plenty of power.
Now for a couple of negatives. The engine is definately noisier and rougher than the 4cyl turbos Ive had in Audis and older VWs. The infotainment is slow to boot up before you can change anything. Theres supposedly a firmware update but I think Mazda uses a slower chip. The backup and front view camera quality is just bad. The side view(360) seem better.
Also be sure to drive the actual car youre going to buy on the highway. Several have a vibration which are mostly tire issues. Dont buy unless its fixed first as it can become a headache to get remedied. Had this issue with my Lexus too.
But overall these are minor issues and I look foward to driving it everyday.

Drove both the CX-5 Signature and the CX-9 Signature and the choice was very clear. The CX-9 is a dramatically better car. Honestly, I even think it handled better. Just a great car with a very nice feel. I last drove one in 2016 and it has only gotten better. The one thing that is terrible is the 360 camera. That is just junky. But overall, very nice. Now got to work out the price...

I also had the Buick Envision suggested to me on a different forum. Even though Buick has come a long way, and has some nice looking vehicles (not to mention so great deals now), I just can't get past the notion that it is an old person's car--even though I am retired! However, I really should at least check them out...

Had my 19* GT for about 2 months and have done 3500 miles. I too use it as a 5 seater with extra cargo space. I have owned 2 Audi Q5*s and currently have a 17* Lexus RX 350. I like the Mazda better than all of them. It rides better than the Audis, has a better transmission and equals it in interior quality. It drives substantially better than the Lexus which is laggy with a tranny that doesnt mesh well with the engine. The Mazda is very quiet and has plenty of power.
Now for a couple of negatives. The engine is definately noisier and rougher than the 4cyl turbos Ive had in Audis and older VW*s. The infotainment is slow to boot up before you can change anything. Theres supposedly a firmware update but I think Mazda uses a slower chip. The backup and front view camera quality is just bad. The side view(360) seem better.
Also be sure to drive the actual car you*re going to buy on the highway. Several have a vibration which are mostly tire issues. Dont buy unless its fixed first as it can become a headache to get remedied. Had this issue with my Lexus too.
But overall these are minor issues and I look foward to driving it everyday.

It is going to take more than that to scare me away! (Thanks for the input.)

Did yours come with Falkens or Bridgestones?

Last edited:
Drove both the CX-5 Signature and the CX-9 Signature and the choice was very clear. The CX-9 is a dramatically better car. Honestly, I even think it handled better. Just a great car with a very nice feel. I last drove one in 2016 and it has only gotten better. The one thing that is terrible is the 360 camera. That is just junky. But overall, very nice. Now got to work out the price...

Thanks for the feedback. After sitting in a CX-5, I quickly ruled it out--The few inches of additional width in the CX-9 is especially noticeable in the second row seats. I am not especially interested in the 360 camera, but it seems odd that it would be so bad, when everything else appears to be top notch...

If it were not for the lack of other features I am looking for, I like the Touring--because I never use a sunroof and I prefer the 18" wheels/higher aspect ratio tires. So, I am considering the Grand Touring--but I would not pass up the Signature if I got a great deal. (Maybe wait until the last week of December?)

Thanks for the feedback. After sitting in a CX-5, I quickly ruled it out--The few inches of additional width in the CX-9 is especially noticeable in the second row seats. I am not especially interested in the 360 camera, but it seems odd that it would be so bad, when everything else appears to be top notch...

If it were not for the lack of other features I am looking for, I like the Touring--because I never use a sunroof and I prefer the 18" wheels/higher aspect ratio tires. So, I am considering the Grand Touring--but I would not pass up the Signature if I got a great deal. (Maybe wait until the last week of December?)

The other thing that I noticed when comparing the two cars is that the CX-9 is soo much quieter even than the 2019 CX-5 Signature, which itself is a quiet car.

One odd thing was the heat only went up to 84. However, the car seat heaters worked 100X better than in my 2014 CX-5 and the steering wheel heater was actually nice feature.

And yes, the mirrors don't move with the seat memory. On our 2014 Honda Odyssey the mirror don't fold in but they do adjust to your seat settings. So this is kinda a strange omission.

The seating was fine but it does not tilt up and I find the cushions to be a little short. I actually prefer the seats in the CX-5 - and the leather in that car felt softer as well.

But overall, really liked the CX-9. Not sure why people complain about the 3rd row seats. Except for the Acadia, I think they are all really tight.

Back