View Poll Results: How Much Does It Bug You That You Can't Use The Touchscreen While Driving?

Voters
50. You may not vote on this poll
  • Bugs Me A Lot

    13 26.00%
  • Not At All

    37 74.00%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 61

Thread: How Much Does It Bug You That You Can't Use The Touchscreen While Driving?

  1. #31
    Resident barbarian ColoradoDriver's Avatar
    Donated: $5

    2014 CX-5 Touring AWD

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Denver, Colorado
    Posts
    4,008
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_Top_Her View Post
    just bustin your balls, no problem


    very annoying as the voice command is garbage on the pre android headunit* Also I think my latest tomtom update broke the already dodgy voice command. The button on the wheel no longer works.
    Agree. Voice commands are garbage on my unit which is a pre Mazda connect one.

    Yeah, I don't have a commander knob, so it absolutely bothers me that some functions get locked out while driving. For instance, my girlfriend and I were on a road trip and she wanted to pair her phone up to play some music through the bluetooth. She the passenger couldn't do it until I pulled the car over and stopped. That's just annoying. I get they're trying to prevent me the driver from doing something stupid and distracted, but if I have a passenger, they ought to be able to use the touchscreen no problem. Don't lock it out at all.
    2014 CX-5 Touring AWD | Jet Black Mica - 77k miles
    01/2013 build | 4/20/2013 buy

  2. #32
    Registered Member

    2017 CX-5 GT AWD

    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    OH
    Posts
    794
    [QUOTE=7eregrine;6620094]It certainly does. Most touch things work while in motion until Google decides you shouldn't be touching like for example, browsing for music on the screen. Scroll more then a screen or 2 and Goog locks you out. But most other features are touchable.

    Touchscreen hack with Factory AA doesn't work. Not even when parked on my car. This has been confirmed by many in Mazda 3 forums. Reddit and AIO author. AIO Tweaks version of AA does work with touch screen hack.

  3. #33
    Registered Member 7eregrine's Avatar

    2016.5

    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    CLE
    Posts
    4,506
    TIL. That's how it works in Most cars.

  4. #34
    Registered Member

    2018 Mazda CX-5 GT

    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    PGH, PA
    Posts
    14
    While honestly it doesn't bug me a lot, it does bug me so that's my vote. I have an '18 CX5 purchased in June.

    I have many a gripe with the infotainment system. I hate that a bucked up for GT mainly for SiriusXM and it is crippled. By crippled I mean it has a hard character limitation (16)- which is particularly annoying on talk show and sports. And no album artwork. It's strictly satellite- this limitation does not occur on HD Radio or bluetooth.

    I hate that there isn't a tab on the screen control climate nor adjustments on the steering wheel. You need to reach down and look away on small one line to get airflow, heat/AC, fan etc.

    I am dismayed that there is not drive recap (miles driven, time elapsed). The avg MPG is crap and is not particularly important on a trip basis- the other two are. TPMS but doesn't actually give you what the tire pressure is or which tire is off? WTF?

    The Bose soundpoint or whichever feature that is supposed to measure inside noise and adjust the media volume accordingly barely has any effect.

    I have other nitpicks but I'll chalk those up to personal preference. Coming from an '11 GTI and wife's 17 Sante Fe.

  5. #35
    Registered Member

    CX-5

    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    NE
    Posts
    60
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudly View Post
    While honestly it doesn't bug me a lot, it does bug me so that's my vote. I have an '18 CX5 purchased in June.

    I have many a gripe with the infotainment system. I hate that a bucked up for GT mainly for SiriusXM and it is crippled. By crippled I mean it has a hard character limitation (16)- which is particularly annoying on talk show and sports. And no album artwork. It's strictly satellite- this limitation does not occur on HD Radio or bluetooth.

    I hate that there isn't a tab on the screen control climate nor adjustments on the steering wheel. You need to reach down and look away on small one line to get airflow, heat/AC, fan etc.

    I am dismayed that there is not drive recap (miles driven, time elapsed). The avg MPG is crap and is not particularly important on a trip basis- the other two are. TPMS but doesn't actually give you what the tire pressure is or which tire is off? WTF?

    The Bose soundpoint or whichever feature that is supposed to measure inside noise and adjust the media volume accordingly barely has any effect.

    I have other nitpicks but I'll chalk those up to personal preference. Coming from an '11 GTI and wife's 17 Sante Fe.
    Yeah...that would be annoying.

    On a similar note...I was riding with my buddy on his Nissan Pathfinder when his TPMS light went off on the front driver side tire. We stopped by a gas station and put some air in it and I was pleasantly surprised about the visual and audible feature of its TPMS. The vehicle actually honked/lights flashed when you reached the recommended pressure.

  6. #36
    Registered Member
    Contributor

    2017 CX-5 GT w/Tech Pkg

    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    391
    Doesn't bug me at all... the commander knob works great for everything I need it to do when driving.

  7. #37
    Registered Member 7eregrine's Avatar

    2016.5

    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    CLE
    Posts
    4,506
    Quote Originally Posted by husker_soze View Post
    Yeah...that would be annoying.

    On a similar note...I was riding with my buddy on his Nissan Pathfinder when his TPMS light went off on the front driver side tire. We stopped by a gas station and put some air in it and I was pleasantly surprised about the visual and audible feature of its TPMS. The vehicle actually honked/lights flashed when you reached the recommended pressure.
    That's.... Awesome!
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

  8. #38
    Registered Member

    Mazda CX5

    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    DE
    Posts
    20
    After 8 months, I have yet to use the touchscreen even while parked.

  9. #39
    Registered Member

    Mazda CX-5

    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    11747
    Posts
    3
    Bugs me a lot. BUT, for me, its not about the touchscreen itself. I LOVE the command knob. BUT, I HATE the fact that you can not enter certain information when you go above 6 mph. I have Apple Carplay and not being able to enter certain information or use the Apple Music app and scroll my artists without using siri is a pain in the neck.

  10. #40
    Work in Progress sm1ke's Avatar
    Donated: $25

    2018 Mazda CX-9 Signature

    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    MB, Canada
    Posts
    764
    I hope Mazda keeps the touchscreen disabled while in gear, at least until they implement lane centering tech. I can't tell you how many times I've witnessed someone drifting into another lane because they were distracted/fidgeting around with something.

  11. #41
    Resident barbarian ColoradoDriver's Avatar
    Donated: $5

    2014 CX-5 Touring AWD

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Denver, Colorado
    Posts
    4,008
    Quote Originally Posted by sm1ke View Post
    I hope Mazda keeps the touchscreen disabled while in gear, at least until they implement lane centering tech. I can't tell you how many times I've witnessed someone drifting into another lane because they were distracted/fidgeting around with something.
    Was that something their touchscreen? Phone and makeup does not translate to touchscreen. Hell, knowing where everything is on mine, I rarely have to even look at it to use it. And unlike all of you, I lack a commander knob.

    But hey..."big brother" knows better for us plebs, right?
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

  12. #42
    Underutilized Member shadonoz's Avatar
    Donated: $5

    2017 CX-5 GT AWD Tech

    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Southern Oregon
    Posts
    1,523
    Quote Originally Posted by sm1ke View Post
    I hope Mazda keeps the touchscreen disabled while in gear, at least until they implement lane centering tech. I can't tell you how many times I've witnessed someone drifting into another lane because they were distracted/fidgeting around with something.
    Lane keep assist is plenty to get my attention. Not sure if I want anything more agressive/intrusive.

  13. #43
    Work in Progress sm1ke's Avatar
    Donated: $25

    2018 Mazda CX-9 Signature

    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    MB, Canada
    Posts
    764
    Quote Originally Posted by ColoradoDriver View Post
    Was that something their touchscreen? Phone and makeup does not translate to touchscreen. Hell, knowing where everything is on mine, I rarely have to even look at it to use it. And unlike all of you, I lack a commander knob.

    But hey..."big brother" knows better for us plebs, right?
    Without getting too deep into it, touchscreens can be just as distracting as makeup, phone use, eating, and whatever else you can think of. The severity of the distraction can also depend on a lot of other factors, like screen orientation (the lower it is in the dash, the more distracting). And yes, I would argue that searching for an artist or inputting a new destination is right up there with texting while driving or putting makeup on, regardless of whether the screen is right in your FOV or not. It's very different from switching radio stations or audio sources, which I'm sure you can do quite easily.

    "Big brother" tech exists because a problem was identified. Autonomous tech (auto-braking, lane keep, lane centering, cross-traffic alerts, door/cyclist alerts, rear seat alerts, etc.) is simply trying to catch up with today's distracted driver. To me, the disabled touchscreen while driving is a way of mitigating the distraction of "hunting and pecking" at the touchscreen.

    To be clear, I think Mazda has put the screen in a place where even if you did have to hunt and peck, you can still see most of the road, which is great. I would just like to see lane centering implemented before they enable the touchscreen, because people will wander while distracted, regardless of how well you think you drive or how aware you think you are. And I'm sure you think you can drive just fine while being distracted, but you, as one single driver, are not representative of all drivers. Further, drunk drivers also share the same mentality i.e. I can drive perfectly fine while drunk. I know it's not really the same thing, but.. it kind of is.

    YMMV.

    Quote Originally Posted by shadonoz View Post
    Lane keep assist is plenty to get my attention. Not sure if I want anything more aggressive/intrusive.
    See above. I'm sure you'd be able to turn it off or adjust the sensitivity if it wasn't to your liking. The point is that the masses want a screen that you can play with while driving. I would personally like to see lane centering implemented to mitigate the wandering and drifting that is going to, or is already, occurring as a result. Nothing wrong with that logic, IMO of course.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

  14. #44
    Resident barbarian ColoradoDriver's Avatar
    Donated: $5

    2014 CX-5 Touring AWD

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Denver, Colorado
    Posts
    4,008
    Quote Originally Posted by sm1ke View Post
    The point is that the masses want a screen that you can play with while driving.
    Right so punish the rest? I'm not playing a game on my touchscreen. I'm hitting 1-2 buttons, which most of the time I don't even have to look at to do.

    On the other hand...I have a passenger who decides they want to bluetooth their phone to my radio, god forbid they can do it without me pulling over and stopping.

    Edit: I guess we'll just agree to disagree. I could pull a bunch of "what if" scenarios too. I don't live my life that way. I do what I can to mitigate other people's stupidity's impact on me as best as possible, and try not to do anything stupid myself. That said, when your scenarios of other stupid people impacts what I or my passenger can safely do without issue, then I have a problem.

    I agree...I wouldn't try to mess around with a lot of things on the touchscreen while driving. You and I are alike in that regard.

    You guys have it better having a commander knob. Me? Nope, and I'd never dream of "playing" with my touchscreen driving. I'd hardly call hitting a button or 2 "playing". It's using the screen for its intended purpose, just like a radio without a touchscreen would be, but apparently just as distracting?

    But I can recount so many times I've had people in my car wanting to setup their phone for Pandora or Bluetooth on my radio for music, and...they can't. They aren't driving. And it usually ends in a big groan and a nevermind.
    Last edited by ColoradoDriver; 01-08-2019 at 05:53 PM.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

  15. #45
    Work in Progress sm1ke's Avatar
    Donated: $25

    2018 Mazda CX-9 Signature

    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    MB, Canada
    Posts
    764
    Quote Originally Posted by ColoradoDriver View Post
    Right so punish the rest? I'm not playing a game on my touchscreen. I'm hitting 1-2 buttons, which most of the time I don't even have to look at to do.

    On the other hand...I have a passenger who decides they want to bluetooth their phone to my radio, god forbid they can do it without me pulling over and stopping.

    Edit: I guess we'll just agree to disagree. I could pull a bunch of "what if" scenarios too. I don't live my life that way. I do what I can to mitigate other people's stupidity's impact on me as best as possible, and try not to do anything stupid myself. That said, when your scenarios of other stupid people impacts what I or my passenger can safely do without issue, then I have a problem.

    I agree...I wouldn't try to mess around with a lot of things on the touchscreen while driving. You and I are alike in that regard.

    You guys have it better having a commander knob. Me? Nope, and I'd never dream of "playing" with my touchscreen driving. I'd hardly call hitting a button or 2 "playing". It's using the screen for its intended purpose, just like a radio without a touchscreen would be, but apparently just as distracting?

    But I can recount so many times I've had people in my car wanting to setup their phone for Pandora or Bluetooth on my radio for music, and...they can't. They aren't driving. And it usually ends in a big groan and a nevermind.
    I guess I have to quote my own post to get my point across.

    Quote Originally Posted by sm1ke View Post
    I would argue that searching for an artist or inputting a new destination is right up there with texting while driving or putting makeup on, regardless of whether the screen is right in your FOV or not. It's very different from switching radio stations or audio sources, which I'm sure you can do quite easily.

    To be clear, I think Mazda has put the screen in a place where even if you did have to hunt and peck, you can still see most of the road, which is great. I would just like to see lane centering implemented before they enable the touchscreen, because people will wander while distracted, regardless of how well you think you drive or how aware you think you are. And I'm sure you think you can drive just fine while being distracted, but you, as one single driver, are not representative of all drivers. Further, drunk drivers also share the same mentality i.e. I can drive perfectly fine while drunk. I know it's not really the same thing, but.. it kind of is.

    YMMV.
    I'm not calling you out specifically, CD. I'm saying that by and large, use of a touchscreen is a distraction. How much depends on the person and the action. In my post I was specifically referring to searching for a specific artist in a playlist.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 12-02-2018, 02:22 PM
  2. Possible to disable touchscreen lockout while driving?
    By RoachForLife in forum Mazda3 Infotainment
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-28-2015, 07:04 PM
  3. Touchscreen NAV radio HELP!!
    By HYP3RSP33D in forum Mazda3 Infotainment
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-25-2012, 02:19 PM
  4. Unresponsive Nav Touchscreen
    By BruceAlmighty in forum CX-9 Infotainment
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 05-29-2009, 07:14 PM
  5. touchscreen
    By bloeser33615 in forum Mazda How-To
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 12-28-2004, 02:15 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •