View Poll Results: How Much Does It Bug You That You Can't Use The Touchscreen While Driving?

Voters
53. You may not vote on this poll
  • Bugs Me A Lot

13 24.53%
  • Not At All

40 75.47%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: How Much Does It Bug You That You Can't Use The Touchscreen While Driving?

Donated: $45
    CX Moderator

'15 CX-5 Miata GT AWD w/Tech 2.5L

Quote Originally Posted by STE92VE View Post
    Sorry Chris. Just was seeing a lot of comments about the touchscreen in the lounge and thought it's more of a general features/ease of use issue than specifically an infotainment one.
    just bustin your balls, no problem

very annoying as the voice command is garbage on the pre android headunit* Also I think my latest tomtom update broke the already dodgy voice command. The button on the wheel no longer works.

Donated: $5

2017 CX-5 GT AWD Tech

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzman12 View Post
    I use the commander knob even when I'm sitting still and the touch screen is enabled.
    I used the touch screen to enter a destination in the sat nav when we were on a long trip, but other than that, I don't touch the screen.
    Me, too, exactly.

Registered Member

'17 3 & CX-5

I love the knob. Ya I said it.

As a seasoned Android Auto user (aftermarket HU in my old 2010 3 and OEM in our Pacifica) I am absolutely STOKED to have it in my CX-5.

I don't consider the knob a limitation. I consider it accurate. You know damn well what you're going to hit and once you learn the navigation techniques you can easily get to where you need to go.

I was actually worried with the touch screen in our Pacifica when we got it. There's a lot of screen-touching requirements there and with how accustomed I had become to the commander I was actually uncomfortable with the Chrysler UConnect for the first few weeks. I'm ok with it now, but side by side I still prefer the Mazda HMI over the touch screen even though I've only had Android auto (in the Mazda) for a few days and have had the van for a year now.

I only have a couple of qualms with the HMI and non-touch screen:
    - I wish there were hard buttons for radio presets. Going into the favorites menu, while entirely possible, could be better served by a few direct-input buttons. This goes back to day 1 for me. It would make station selection and favorite saving much easier.
    - I wish I could access the audio settings when using android auto at the music source.
    - I wish that if you had android auto open and were listening to radio, that the radio station would momentarily pop up in the top of the screen when cycling through your favorites via the steering wheel button like the volume does when you adjust it.

I do a lot of panning and zooming from time-to-time using maps for traffic and re-routing determinations. This was the hardest to get used to with the commander in Android auto vs direct on the cell phone. But once I learned that I could zoom out, pan, then zoom in to cover more panning "ground" with each directional button as I hunted for the traffic bottlenecks this is becoming less and less of an issue for me. Simply back out of the panning screen and push the knob on the target to recenter the nav in maps.

What I think Mazda did VERY well with Android Auto and the HMI:
    ---I love how the HMI shortcuts revert to Android Auto functions when they're in use.
    ---Using google maps for Nav? Hit the Nav button, you'll go to Maps and not the OEM Nav.
    ---Using Mazda radio while Maps for Nav with Maps displayed? Need to see the radio? Hit the audio shortcut and you go to the radio. Nav shortcut returns you to google maps.
    ---Using an android auto app for audio? The audio shortcut key takes you there from any other menu.
    ---Pushing the home key returns you to the home menu for the system you're in (either car or android auto, depending where you are when you push it). Holding the home key switches between Mazda infotainment and android auto. The is the next-best thing to having a dedicated android auto button on the console.
    ---When in an android auto screen, the right direction on the knob is a shortcut to the google assistant. The left direction on the knob opens that apps menu (this took me a while to find). The down direction takes the selector to the android auto menu bar.
    ---When in an app its a simple turn and click of the knob to highlight the "button" you want and select it. Super simple once you learn how your apps work with the knob.
    ---Google assistant works quite well for me as voice input for android auto systems: "navigate to (say address)", "call (say person's name, home / mobile etc", "Play this podcast", "What's the weather tomorrow", "What was the score in the (insert favorite team's name here" game, etc, etc

IMO the screen placement is too far to reach for touch input unless parked anyways. But I have been accused of having short T-Rex arms before.

It may not be the most intuitive to someone who's never used it before, but once you learn and embrace it it's fantastic.

The only time I've used the touch screen was when I tried to program the factory Nav while parked. I quickly gave up on factory nav after that LOL
    Last edited by Studum; 12-07-2018 at 07:21 PM.

Donated: $5

2017 CX-5 GT AWD Tech

Studum, thanks for the detailed report.

Does google assistant respond well to other voice inquiries [unrelated to the car]?

Registered Member

2018 CX-5 Sport

I touched my screen just to make sure it was a touch. The knob and the surrounding buttons are so much easier to reach and they work good. I don't have navigation, maybe typing in addresses for that will be easier using the touch screen.

Hacked mine to allow touch. Rarely touch it. It is too far just like every car imo that I have experience with. (Tuscon, Cherokee).
    Short folk may not think so but if the seat is back as far as possible....

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_Top_Her View Post
    Not as much as an infotainment post being put in the lounge
    Would have been even better in the main normal "off topic" lounge so we could get input from other Mazda owners.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Registered Member

'17 3 & CX-5

Quote Originally Posted by shadonoz View Post
    Studum, thanks for the detailed report.

Does google assistant respond well to other voice inquiries [unrelated to the car]?
    You can ask the assistant just about anything that you'd search for on the internet. Short, fact based questions yield the best results.

Yeah, just like on your phone. No difference.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

2018 Mazda CX-5 Touring with PP

Totally love the commander knob. Don't miss the touchscreen because I'm over 6' tall so I sit as far back as the seat goes and it's a hassle to lean forward to even reach it. With the knob I just sit back and relax

Registered Member

2018 Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring-Premium Pkg. Soul Red

Used to get annoyed that my screen on my 2014 would get all fingerprinty.
    Now only thing to wipe off it is dust sometimes.

Registered Member

Mazda CX-5

A lot. So I used Mazda Tweaks to change it.
    '06 MX-5 6MT, Custom Sprung Ohlins, Tomei LSD
    '16.5 CX-5 T AWD w/more Soul
    IBA/COG Desmoquattro for pleasure

Registered Member

Mazda CX-5 GT w/ Premium Pack

I want to put AA/CP on mine and having the touchscreen unresponsive whilst driving will be a pain (note, I usually drive with a passenger to do all the navigating anyway). I know there is an arcane way of getting my 2018 CX-5 with the latest UI touchscreen enabled but i'm not confident in my own abilities to do that.

It's worth noting that whilst driving, the Commander wheel is fine and I use that if i'm on my own.

Registered Member

2017 CX-5 GT AWD

Quote Originally Posted by Stevespim View Post
    I want to put AA/CP on mine and having the touchscreen unresponsive whilst driving will be a pain (note, I usually drive with a passenger to do all the navigating anyway). I know there is an arcane way of getting my 2018 CX-5 with the latest UI touchscreen enabled but i'm not confident in my own abilities to do that.

It's worth noting that whilst driving, the Commander wheel is fine and I use that if i'm on my own.
    The touchscreen while driving hack doesn't apply to Android Auto. But the voice commands work so well with AA, there is no reason to touch the screen to navigate.

My wife uses CP - or didn't - until she discovered how well voice commands work. She can even reply to txt messages which you can't do at all without it.

As to the Poll - since the wording is biased and it is a yes or no answer, then I have to go with "not bothered at all" although sometimes it is annoying in waze. It is the only app that i could see wanting anything touch related.

Quote Originally Posted by alphadog00 View Post
    The touchscreen while driving hack doesn't apply to Android Auto.
    It certainly does. Most touch things work while in motion until Google decides you shouldn't be touching like for example, browsing for music on the screen. Scroll more then a screen or 2 and Goog locks you out. But most other features are touchable.

You have no idea. There will be zero pain. Look at the poll results: 93% I promise you a LARGE majority of that 93% were very leery about using the knob.

You usually let the passenger do all the navigating? That's fine. Press the voice button and let the passenger say "Navigate to the closest Applebee's". It's seriously that easy.

But the voice commands work so well with AA, there is no reason to touch the screen to navigate.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast