How Much Does It Bug You That You Can't Use The Touchscreen While Driving?

How Much Does It Bug You That You Can't Use The Touchscreen While Driving?

• Bugs Me A Lot

Votes: 14 25.9%
  • Not At All

Votes: 40 74.1%

• Total voters
Hacked mine to allow touch. Rarely touch it. It is too far just like every car imo that I have experience with. (Tuscon, Cherokee).
Short folk may not think so but if the seat is back as far as possible....

Studum, thanks for the detailed report.

Does google assistant respond well to other voice inquiries [unrelated to the car]?

You can ask the assistant just about anything that you'd search for on the internet. Short, fact based questions yield the best results.

Totally love the commander knob. Don't miss the touchscreen because I'm over 6' tall so I sit as far back as the seat goes and it's a hassle to lean forward to even reach it. With the knob I just sit back and relax [emoji16]

Used to get annoyed that my screen on my 2014 would get all fingerprinty.
Now only thing to wipe off it is dust sometimes.

I want to put AA/CP on mine and having the touchscreen unresponsive whilst driving will be a pain (note, I usually drive with a passenger to do all the navigating anyway). I know there is an arcane way of getting my 2018 CX-5 with the latest UI touchscreen enabled but i'm not confident in my own abilities to do that.

It's worth noting that whilst driving, the Commander wheel is fine and I use that if i'm on my own.

I want to put AA/CP on mine and having the touchscreen unresponsive whilst driving will be a pain (note, I usually drive with a passenger to do all the navigating anyway). I know there is an arcane way of getting my 2018 CX-5 with the latest UI touchscreen enabled but i'm not confident in my own abilities to do that.

It's worth noting that whilst driving, the Commander wheel is fine and I use that if i'm on my own.

The touchscreen while driving hack doesn't apply to Android Auto. But the voice commands work so well with AA, there is no reason to touch the screen to navigate.

My wife uses CP - or didn't - until she discovered how well voice commands work. She can even reply to txt messages which you can't do at all without it.

As to the Poll - since the wording is biased and it is a yes or no answer, then I have to go with "not bothered at all" although sometimes it is annoying in waze. It is the only app that i could see wanting anything touch related.

The touchscreen while driving hack doesn't apply to Android Auto.
It certainly does. Most touch things work while in motion until Google decides you shouldn't be touching like for example, browsing for music on the screen. Scroll more then a screen or 2 and Goog locks you out. But most other features are touchable.

You have no idea. There will be zero pain. Look at the poll results: 93% I promise you a LARGE majority of that 93% were very leery about using the knob.

You usually let the passenger do all the navigating? That's fine. Press the voice button and let the passenger say "Navigate to the closest Applebee's". It's seriously that easy.

But the voice commands work so well with AA, there is no reason to touch the screen to navigate.

just bustin your balls, no problem

very annoying as the voice command is garbage on the pre android headunit* Also I think my latest tomtom update broke the already dodgy voice command. The button on the wheel no longer works.

Agree. Voice commands are garbage on my unit which is a pre Mazda connect one.

Yeah, I don't have a commander knob, so it absolutely bothers me that some functions get locked out while driving. For instance, my girlfriend and I were on a road trip and she wanted to pair her phone up to play some music through the bluetooth. She the passenger couldn't do it until I pulled the car over and stopped. That's just annoying. I get they're trying to prevent me the driver from doing something stupid and distracted, but if I have a passenger, they ought to be able to use the touchscreen no problem. Don't lock it out at all.

It certainly does. Most touch things work while in motion until Google decides you shouldn't be touching like for example, browsing for music on the screen. Scroll more then a screen or 2 and Goog locks you out. But most other features are touchable.

Touchscreen hack with Factory AA doesn't work. Not even when parked on my car. This has been confirmed by many in Mazda 3 forums. Reddit and AIO author. AIO Tweaks version of AA does work with touch screen hack.

While honestly it doesn't bug me a lot, it does bug me so that's my vote. I have an '18 CX5 purchased in June.

I have many a gripe with the infotainment system. I hate that a bucked up for GT mainly for SiriusXM and it is crippled. By crippled I mean it has a hard character limitation (16)- which is particularly annoying on talk show and sports. And no album artwork. It's strictly satellite- this limitation does not occur on HD Radio or bluetooth.

I hate that there isn't a tab on the screen control climate nor adjustments on the steering wheel. You need to reach down and look away on small one line to get airflow, heat/AC, fan etc.

I am dismayed that there is not drive recap (miles driven, time elapsed). The avg MPG is crap and is not particularly important on a trip basis- the other two are. TPMS but doesn't actually give you what the tire pressure is or which tire is off? WTF?

The Bose soundpoint or whichever feature that is supposed to measure inside noise and adjust the media volume accordingly barely has any effect.

I have other nitpicks but I'll chalk those up to personal preference. Coming from an '11 GTI and wife's 17 Sante Fe.

While honestly it doesn't bug me a lot, it does bug me so that's my vote. I have an '18 CX5 purchased in June.

I have many a gripe with the infotainment system. I hate that a bucked up for GT mainly for SiriusXM and it is crippled. By crippled I mean it has a hard character limitation (16)- which is particularly annoying on talk show and sports. And no album artwork. It's strictly satellite- this limitation does not occur on HD Radio or bluetooth.

I hate that there isn't a tab on the screen control climate nor adjustments on the steering wheel. You need to reach down and look away on small one line to get airflow, heat/AC, fan etc.

I am dismayed that there is not drive recap (miles driven, time elapsed). The avg MPG is crap and is not particularly important on a trip basis- the other two are. TPMS but doesn't actually give you what the tire pressure is or which tire is off? WTF?

The Bose soundpoint or whichever feature that is supposed to measure inside noise and adjust the media volume accordingly barely has any effect.

I have other nitpicks but I'll chalk those up to personal preference. Coming from an '11 GTI and wife's 17 Sante Fe.

Yeah...that would be annoying.

On a similar note...I was riding with my buddy on his Nissan Pathfinder when his TPMS light went off on the front driver side tire. We stopped by a gas station and put some air in it and I was pleasantly surprised about the visual and audible feature of its TPMS. The vehicle actually honked/lights flashed when you reached the recommended pressure.

Doesn't bug me at all... the commander knob works great for everything I need it to do when driving.

Yeah...that would be annoying.

On a similar note...I was riding with my buddy on his Nissan Pathfinder when his TPMS light went off on the front driver side tire. We stopped by a gas station and put some air in it and I was pleasantly surprised about the visual and audible feature of its TPMS. The vehicle actually honked/lights flashed when you reached the recommended pressure.
That's.... Awesome!

Bugs me a lot. BUT, for me, its not about the touchscreen itself. I LOVE the command knob. BUT, I HATE the fact that you can not enter certain information when you go above 6 mph. I have Apple Carplay and not being able to enter certain information or use the Apple Music app and scroll my artists without using siri is a pain in the neck.

I hope Mazda keeps the touchscreen disabled while in gear, at least until they implement lane centering tech. I can't tell you how many times I've witnessed someone drifting into another lane because they were distracted/fidgeting around with something.

Back