How Much Does It Bug You That You Can't Use The Touchscreen While Driving?

How Much Does It Bug You That You Can't Use The Touchscreen While Driving?

• Bugs Me A Lot

Votes: 14 25.9%
  • Not At All

Votes: 40 74.1%

• Total voters
I hope Mazda keeps the touchscreen disabled while in gear, at least until they implement lane centering tech. I can't tell you how many times I've witnessed someone drifting into another lane because they were distracted/fidgeting around with something.

Was that something their touchscreen? Phone and makeup does not translate to touchscreen. Hell, knowing where everything is on mine, I rarely have to even look at it to use it. And unlike all of you, I lack a commander knob.

But hey..."big brother" knows better for us plebs, right?

I hope Mazda keeps the touchscreen disabled while in gear, at least until they implement lane centering tech. I can't tell you how many times I've witnessed someone drifting into another lane because they were distracted/fidgeting around with something.

Lane keep assist is plenty to get my attention. Not sure if I want anything more agressive/intrusive.

Was that something their touchscreen? Phone and makeup does not translate to touchscreen. Hell, knowing where everything is on mine, I rarely have to even look at it to use it. And unlike all of you, I lack a commander knob.

But hey..."big brother" knows better for us plebs, right?

Without getting too deep into it, touchscreens can be just as distracting as makeup, phone use, eating, and whatever else you can think of. The severity of the distraction can also depend on a lot of other factors, like screen orientation (the lower it is in the dash, the more distracting). And yes, I would argue that searching for an artist or inputting a new destination is right up there with texting while driving or putting makeup on, regardless of whether the screen is right in your FOV or not. It's very different from switching radio stations or audio sources, which I'm sure you can do quite easily.

"Big brother" tech exists because a problem was identified. Autonomous tech (auto-braking, lane keep, lane centering, cross-traffic alerts, door/cyclist alerts, rear seat alerts, etc.) is simply trying to catch up with today's distracted driver. To me, the disabled touchscreen while driving is a way of mitigating the distraction of "hunting and pecking" at the touchscreen.

To be clear, I think Mazda has put the screen in a place where even if you did have to hunt and peck, you can still see most of the road, which is great. I would just like to see lane centering implemented before they enable the touchscreen, because people will wander while distracted, regardless of how well you think you drive or how aware you think you are. And I'm sure you think you can drive just fine while being distracted, but you, as one single driver, are not representative of all drivers. Further, drunk drivers also share the same mentality i.e. I can drive perfectly fine while drunk. I know it's not really the same thing, but.. it kind of is.

YMMV.

Lane keep assist is plenty to get my attention. Not sure if I want anything more aggressive/intrusive.

See above. I'm sure you'd be able to turn it off or adjust the sensitivity if it wasn't to your liking. The point is that the masses want a screen that you can play with while driving. I would personally like to see lane centering implemented to mitigate the wandering and drifting that is going to, or is already, occurring as a result. Nothing wrong with that logic, IMO of course.

The point is that the masses want a screen that you can play with while driving.

Right so punish the rest? I'm not playing a game on my touchscreen. I'm hitting 1-2 buttons, which most of the time I don't even have to look at to do.

On the other hand...I have a passenger who decides they want to bluetooth their phone to my radio, god forbid they can do it without me pulling over and stopping.

Edit: I guess we'll just agree to disagree. I could pull a bunch of "what if" scenarios too. I don't live my life that way. I do what I can to mitigate other people's stupidity's impact on me as best as possible, and try not to do anything stupid myself. That said, when your scenarios of other stupid people impacts what I or my passenger can safely do without issue, then I have a problem.

I agree...I wouldn't try to mess around with a lot of things on the touchscreen while driving. You and I are alike in that regard.

You guys have it better having a commander knob. Me? Nope, and I'd never dream of "playing" with my touchscreen driving. I'd hardly call hitting a button or 2 "playing". It's using the screen for its intended purpose, just like a radio without a touchscreen would be, but apparently just as distracting?

But I can recount so many times I've had people in my car wanting to setup their phone for Pandora or Bluetooth on my radio for music, and...they can't. They aren't driving. And it usually ends in a big groan and a nevermind.

Last edited:
Right so punish the rest? I'm not playing a game on my touchscreen. I'm hitting 1-2 buttons, which most of the time I don't even have to look at to do.

On the other hand...I have a passenger who decides they want to bluetooth their phone to my radio, god forbid they can do it without me pulling over and stopping.

Edit: I guess we'll just agree to disagree. I could pull a bunch of "what if" scenarios too. I don't live my life that way. I do what I can to mitigate other people's stupidity's impact on me as best as possible, and try not to do anything stupid myself. That said, when your scenarios of other stupid people impacts what I or my passenger can safely do without issue, then I have a problem.

I agree...I wouldn't try to mess around with a lot of things on the touchscreen while driving. You and I are alike in that regard.

You guys have it better having a commander knob. Me? Nope, and I'd never dream of "playing" with my touchscreen driving. I'd hardly call hitting a button or 2 "playing". It's using the screen for its intended purpose, just like a radio without a touchscreen would be, but apparently just as distracting?

But I can recount so many times I've had people in my car wanting to setup their phone for Pandora or Bluetooth on my radio for music, and...they can't. They aren't driving. And it usually ends in a big groan and a nevermind.

I guess I have to quote my own post to get my point across.

I would argue that searching for an artist or inputting a new destination is right up there with texting while driving or putting makeup on, regardless of whether the screen is right in your FOV or not. It's very different from switching radio stations or audio sources, which I'm sure you can do quite easily.

To be clear, I think Mazda has put the screen in a place where even if you did have to hunt and peck, you can still see most of the road, which is great. I would just like to see lane centering implemented before they enable the touchscreen, because people will wander while distracted, regardless of how well you think you drive or how aware you think you are. And I'm sure you think you can drive just fine while being distracted, but you, as one single driver, are not representative of all drivers. Further, drunk drivers also share the same mentality i.e. I can drive perfectly fine while drunk. I know it's not really the same thing, but.. it kind of is.

YMMV.

I'm not calling you out specifically, CD. I'm saying that by and large, use of a touchscreen is a distraction. How much depends on the person and the action. In my post I was specifically referring to searching for a specific artist in a playlist.

I guess I have to quote my own post to get my point across.

I'm not calling you out specifically, CD. I'm saying that by and large, use of a touchscreen is a distraction. How much depends on the person and the action. In my post I was specifically referring to searching for a specific artist in a playlist.

I got you sm1ke. I completely understand what you are saying.

You thwart the stupids, you also impact people like me. You're ok with that. I am not. So I'll conclude with a let's agree to disagree.

I sorely wish there were a "pause" button, preferably on the steering wheel, but would be okay near the Commander knob.

When listening to Audiobooks, I want to be able to instantly silence it but not lose track of my position.

Without getting too deep into it, touchscreens can be just as distracting as makeup, phone use, eating, and whatever else you can think of.

I would argue those things are infinitely more distracting. I'm not going to poke myself in the eye with a touchscreen while applying color to my face. Not going to hold my touch screen in my lap and text, or hold it by the steering wheel while watching a Youtube video (seen this at least 2x). I'm not going to drop my touch screen in my lap and get mustard everywhere causing me to freak out and slam on the brake.
It's just like I said earlier, people equate screens with danger because texting while driving kills.
It shows in your final paragraph: "The point is that the masses want a screen that you can play with while driving". I assume you didn't really mean PLAY here...like playing games or watching videos...but the fact you used that word I think is telling. As usual WE weren't clamoring for screens in cars. Car companies put them in and then we started wanting them...not to play with, but to .... give us LIVE TRAFFIC.... lol
Screens in cars are no more distracting then car radios were in the 60's. By the way, Distracted driving was the #1 cause of accidents back then. Y'know... messing with the plain old radio. Today it's 3rd (16%). Behind Drunk Driving (32%) and Speeding (31%).
If it really WAS so damn distracting, why hasn't EVERY car company does this no touch while moving yet? Pity the Jeep owner that won't be able to turn his heated seat off if he's moving... Many of them have not. Why isn't this government mandated yet? I mean... 17 kids got 'backed over' in 2010 and now every car sold in the USA must have a backup camera.
I got rear ended by a distracted driver... didn't even have a touch screen in his car. But I'll bet you money, if he DID have a touch screen in his car he still would have hit me... because it was his phone that distracted him. Phones are still the big distraction...not checking traffic on your dash screen...

Last edited:
I would argue those things are infinitely more distracting. I'm not going to poke myself in the eye with a touchscreen while applying color to my face. Not going to hold my touch screen in my lap and text, or hold it by the steering wheel while watching a Youtube video (seen this at least 2x). I'm not going to drop my touch screen in my lap and get mustard everywhere causing me to freak out and slam on the brake.
It's just like I said earlier, people equate screens with danger because texting while driving kills.
It shows in your final paragraph: "The point is that the masses want a screen that you can play with while driving". I assume you didn't really mean PLAY here...like playing games or watching videos...but the fact you used that word I think is telling. As usual WE weren't clamoring for screens in cars. Car companies put them in and then we started wanting them...not to play with, but to .... give us LIVE TRAFFIC.... lol
Screens in cars are no more distracting then car radios were in the 60's. By the way, Distracted driving was the #1 cause of accidents back then. Y'know... messing with the plain old radio. Today it's 3rd (16%). Behind Drunk Driving (32%) and Speeding (31%).
If it really WAS so damn distracting, why hasn't EVERY car company does this no touch while moving yet? Pity the Jeep owner that won't be able to turn his heated seat off if he's moving... Many of them have not. Why isn't this government mandated yet? I mean... 17 kids got 'backed over' in 2010 and now every car sold in the USA must have a backup camera.
I got rear ended by a distracted driver... didn't even have a touch screen in his car. But I'll bet you money, if he DID have a touch screen in his car he still would have hit me... because it was his phone that distracted him. Phones are still the big distraction...not checking traffic on your dash screen...

AA/ACP basically turns your touchscreen into your phone, so..

To be fair, we are making a lot of assumptions about the distractions and the drivers. Yes, I'm assuming that most drivers are playing (or should I say "fiddling" (rolleyes)) with their touchscreens, but you have to assume the worst to prepare for the worst. Which is exactly why I said that I hope Mazda implements lane centering before they enable touchscreen in motion. It's practically a given that Mazda will cave at some point.

Again, I would argue that searching for an artist or inputting a new destination is right up there with texting while driving or putting makeup on, regardless of whether the screen is right in your FOV or not. It's not about poking yourself in the eye or dropping your burger, it's about the focus being taken off the road.

I also just came across this article that echoes my personal sentiments practically to the letter.

https://www.autotrader.ca/newsfeatures/20180913/auto-tech-mazda-catches-up-on-infotainment/

A few snippets:

"A touchscreen, Mazda says, activates all three types of distraction. There*s the visual demand required to look over at it to use it, the manual demand needed to make inputs, and the cognitive demand required because feature placement on the screen can be dynamic, which makes you stop and think about finding the function you*re looking for.

In particular, using a touchscreen requires the driver to lean forward slightly, which not only requires pulling the shoulders off the seat and removing their support, but also, according to Mazda*s studies, tends to make a driver apply slight movement to the steering wheel, causing the car to move around in the lane. Moving the screen physically closer to the driver can reduce this, but that adds visual load because the difference in focal length between the screen and the road ahead means the eyes take longer to adjust."

"'You*ll never see what song is playing or the incoming caller in front of you in a Mazda because that*s not related to driving,' explained Matthew Valbuena, in-vehicle technology engineer for Mazda North America, at a recent media information session in downtown Toronto."

We're free to disagree, but Mazda's reasoning is sound IMO and I support it.

AA/ACP basically turns your touchscreen into your phone, so..

Its an extension of your phone allowing you to use it in a safer manner. You're never going to get people to stop looking at phones while driving. This is a solution ... To a real problem.
No one is going to type a text message on a car screen.
Your example of looking for an artist... That's a significantly smaller problem then reading or replying to texts. And is a non issue with AA or ACP when you can just speak to your car.
After you've tried AA or ACP, then we can agree to disagree. I'm not even a huge fan or big user of it but it's easy to see the value it brings after using it.

Mazda doesn't want you reaching forward and messing with the screen while driving. It's a safety issue. It's is so much easier and efficient to use the command knob and never have to reach forward and change your positioning

Yes, we know. How can we not know as Mazda feels the need to let us know every... Single... Time... We start the car. LoL

Its an extension of your phone allowing you to use it in a safer manner. You're never going to get people to stop looking at phones while driving. This is a solution ... To a real problem.

Disagree. AA/ACP is a well-executed loophole for circumventing the distracted driving law. It's a little safer than actually using your phone, but when you're using AA/ACP and the touchscreen, you're still operating your phone.

No one is going to type a text message on a car screen.

That's what you assume. I would hope it to be true, but you can't assume that it is.

Your example of looking for an artist... That's a significantly smaller problem then reading or replying to texts. And is a non issue with AA or ACP when you can just speak to your car.

From the page before this one:

Bugs me a lot. BUT, for me, its not about the touchscreen itself. I LOVE the command knob. BUT, I HATE the fact that you can not enter certain information when you go above 6 mph. I have Apple Carplay and not being able to enter certain information or use the Apple Music app and scroll my artists without using siri is a pain in the neck.

Even when it's made easy, it still doesn't seem to be good enough.

After you've tried AA or ACP, then we can agree to disagree. I'm not even a huge fan or big user of it but it's easy to see the value it brings after using it.

I've used the voice commands and the text-to-speech feature. I understand that AA/ACP is essentially a better execution of those features. However, I'm not one to go through a list of music while driving, or input a new destination while going 70 km/h. I'm sure it makes those tasks easier to manage, but they are still big distractions to me. The AA/ACP upgrade is very low on the priority list for me, simply because I don't think I would benefit from it very much. This is just based on my own personal habits.

I've been driving a CX5 for 4 years and I don't think I've ever touched the screen, even while parked. I've never found a need to.

Good post sm1ke.

It's a little safer than actually using your phone, but when you're using AA/ACP and the touchscreen, you're still operating your phone.
But it is safer. Night and day safer. And its not just a little better then Mazda's voice activation... It's miles away.
I'm only talking about voice here, not touching the screen.

That's what you assume. I would hope it to be true, but you can't assume that it is.
I am. No argument. I have to believe at least a majority of us aren't morons. I know... I might be nuts.

Even when it's made easy, it still doesn't seem to be good enough.
Touch

However, I'm not one to go through a list of music while driving
Me either. It it works very well to press a button and say "Play Artist".
, or input a new destination while going 70 km/h.
Now this I have done. And I disagree that pressing a button and saying "Navigate to Sweeties in Brookpark" because I thought I knew where I was going but didn't is in anyway a distraction. It's really that easy.

The AA/ACP upgrade is very low on the priority list for me, simply because I don't think I would benefit from it very much. This is just based on my own personal habits.

I can respect that. Were are way OT though as I am only talking about voice here.

As to touching, its no secret how much I love the knob... I have used my touchscreen while parked, almost never when driving. But my wife uses it while I'm driving because using the knob isn't as easy for a passenger when my arm is draped over the arm rest. I agree the knob negates the need.
I regularly slam Jeep's infotainment that sometimes demands touches... And Ford's ... And Chevy's. But I don't think the screen needs disabled. Give the driver the tools he needs to minimize how much he needs to touch, give me controls.... Not only a screen.
Have you seen the inside of the newer Tesla? I can't believe people like that giant tablet screen running everything. I wouldn't get just for thst alone.

Good post sm1ke.

I can respect that. Were are way OT though as I am only talking about voice here.

As to touching, its no secret how much I love the knob... I have used my touchscreen while parked, almost never when driving. But my wife uses it while I'm driving because using the knob isn't as easy for a passenger when my arm is draped over the arm rest. I agree the knob negates the need.
I regularly slam Jeep's infotainment that sometimes demands touches... And Ford's ... And Chevy's. But I don't think the screen needs disabled. Give the driver the tools he needs to minimize how much he needs to touch, give me controls.... Not only a screen.
Have you seen the inside of the newer Tesla? I can't believe people like that giant tablet screen running everything. I wouldn't get just for thst alone.

Lol, reading back on these past few posts, I think we both share similar habits when driving (i.e. using voice when it's safer than using the touchscreen). Thus we both generally agree that the majority of drivers on the road would use these systems as intended to minimize the safety hazards. I think we're just disagreeing because we're arguing from different perspectives - my opinion was based on another user's distaste for not being able to touch the screen to search playlists, even when voice commands are available. I based my argument on that type of driver. Meanwhile your (and CD's) arguments are based on your own perspectives and the way you'd use the touchscreen (which is far, far more reasonable). Correct me if I'm wrong..

That said, I agree with you and CD that not being able to use the screen while in motion is an inconvenience to everyone in the car. I understand that it sucks. But part of the reason it is the way it is right now, is because of the few drivers who do use the touchscreen in an unsafe manner. I think Mazda is simply covering their own asses. It seems like they chose to sacrifice some convenience to eliminate a safety risk. I'm ok with that. My opinion of implementing lane centering before enabling the touchscreen is just a way for them to help mitigate that safety risk.

Also something to note: In the article that I posted, Mazda stated that the reason ACP works with touch and AA doesn't, is:

"Android Auto*s programming limitations required Mazda to choose between one input type or the other in certain situations, so rather than lose some usability while the car is in motion, the company opted to drop touchscreen support entirely."

Not sure why Mazda couldn't figure out a way to retain usability with the touchscreen active. I'm sure it would be difficult, but come on Mazda. Don't be lazy! lol

... You know, it could also be that because Mazda couldn't figure out how to retain full usability with the touchscreen on AA, they're simply hiding behind the guise of "it's safer, it's driver oriented, etc.". Who knows.

EDIT: I love the knob as well. My hand is always resting on my knob.... (hahaspit) I can't get behind the Tesla screen either, but if they can go full-autonomous then it doesn't really matter if you have to dig through menus. The car does the driving for you, so you'd be free to dig away! haha

Last edited:
I keep telling him he needs to upgrade is solely for the knob. [emoji106]

Back