November 2018 Sales Numbers

Interesting data.

The CX-3 data looks really bad. Yet another reason why I think Mazda should replace it with a CX-4 with 2.5T and Sig options.

The Mazda 3 and CX-3 are getting killed. The CX-3 is universally liked but is also universally criticized for being way too small. Mazda globally is actually having their worst year ever in terms of sales and getting killed in China. This could be a make it or break it year for them and overall, the next 2-3 years will be crucial.

Interesting data.

The CX-3 data looks really bad. Yet another reason why I think Mazda should replace it with a CX-4 with 2.5T and Sig options.

I also this they could oust the CX-3 and it wouldn't be missed...

The Mazda 3 and CX-3 are getting killed. The CX-3 is universally liked but is also universally criticized for being way too small. Mazda globally is actually having their worst year ever in terms of sales and getting killed in China. This could be a make it or break it year for them and overall, the next 2-3 years will be crucial.

"As in the first quarter, the ASEAN region saw the highest year-on-year increase in vehicle turnover in the half from 1 April to 30 September, with unit sales surging 28% to 66,000, Japan contributed to the growth with a 6.7% lift in sales to 103,000 units. North America sold 222,000 units, a 1.6% rise on last year*s half-year figures. Sales in Europe* were 135,000 units, up 2.4% year-on-year, with strong growth in particular in Spain with 11,000 vehicles sold (+17%) and for the CX-5 with a 20% year-on-year increase in sales."

http://autoworlddergisi.com/mazda-achieves-record-half-year-global-sales/

Mazda has had the typhoon which damaged 44000 cars and caused plant closures. Besides that and the currency rate woes and trade wars - it seems they actually had a good year.

"As in the first quarter, the ASEAN region saw the highest year-on-year increase in vehicle turnover in the half from 1 April to 30 September, with unit sales surging 28% to 66,000, Japan contributed to the growth with a 6.7% lift in sales to 103,000 units. North America sold 222,000 units, a 1.6% rise on last year*s half-year figures. Sales in Europe* were 135,000 units, up 2.4% year-on-year, with strong growth in particular in Spain with 11,000 vehicles sold (+17%) and for the CX-5 with a 20% year-on-year increase in sales."

http://autoworlddergisi.com/mazda-achieves-record-half-year-global-sales/

Mazda has had the typhoon which damaged 44000 cars and caused plant closures. Besides that and the currency rate woes and trade wars - it seems they actually had a good year.

http://autonews.gasgoo.com/china_news/70015449.html

" Mazda Motor (China) Co., Ltd. reported a year-on-year (YoY) retail sales drop of 8.9% with a total of 251,776 vehicles delivered in China from January to November. As for the Nov. sales performance, the Japanese automaker witnessed its sales in China tumble 42.8% over the year-ago period to 19,179 units, the seventh month in a row that faced YoY sales dwindle in this country."

"The company has only three models up for sale, including two locally-produced models*the Mazda ATENZA and the Mazda CX-4, as well as an imported model Mazda MX-5 RF"

Think the 2019 3 will pick up steam?

CX-3 always seemed too small to me, and everyone I know who has ever sat in one. I honestly don't get the point of a CX-3. I suspect a 3 hatch with AWD will quickly be making it even less desirable.

Last edited:
CD- ever been to Europe? Japan? Their roads arent as wide as ours. And theyre no way near as fat so smaller vehicles are just fine.

Thanks for the link!

I never saw what problem the CX-3 was trying to solve in the NA marketplace, especially since cargo and passenger space across the Mazda lineup appears to be smaller when compared to its competitors. Its more of a Mini-CUV in my mind, a Mazda3 on stilts, that just doesn't have the same impact as a 3. CUV seems an odd vehicle class to me to begin with.

Maybe if the industry as a whole decides cars are out for NA, the CX-3 would get more sales, but lack of AWD is a head-scratcher. I suppose it works in Europe/APAC given the smaller streets and all, but then, why get the CX-3 there when the Mazda 3 is already there and potentially has more room? I think the CX4 would have a much better time in NA, unless the size/cargo puts it even with its class but the cost is too high.

YoY looks good considering the inventory losses, I'd expect a bump in the Mazda3 both when the 2019s start arriving and another one when Skyactiv-X makes is official debut. Given the BIGGER > BETTER THAN trend, I doubt that will last for many months. CX5 will probably get a bigger bump as well with the Reserve/Signature models if they end up taking sales from other manufacturers. Its definitely a head turner and with the GT being the top seller in the past, it was money left on the table. Even if the bump isn't that big, if the top selling trim goes from GT to Signature that's potentially a bigger margin (pure assumption given that higher trims may not always mean higher margin).

I never saw what problem the CX-3 was trying to solve in the NA marketplace, especially since cargo and passenger space across the Mazda lineup appears to be smaller when compared to its competitors. Its more of a Mini-CUV in my mind, a Mazda3 on stilts, that just doesn't have the same impact as a 3. CUV seems an odd vehicle class to me to begin with.

CX-3 actually was based on and replaced the Mazda2. CX-5 is based off the 3.

Nice to see the 6 have a positive gain for the first time in months.

Think the 2019 3 will pick up steam?

CX-3 always seemed too small to me, and everyone I know who has ever sat in one. I honestly don't get the point of a CX-3. I suspect a 3 hatch with AWD will quickly be making it even less desirable.

Agreed. Dont understand why they opted for both the CX-3 and Mazda3 hatch. What a waste.

Back