Noises and squeaks

2013 Touring here. I have a rattle coming from the left rear side when driving over obstacles like road reflectors or potholes. It sounds like a window is halfway down and the glass is rattling when the car hits the bump. It doesn*t sound metallic.

I*ve checked all the windows and they are all the way up. I*ve checked the jack and tools and the spare tire. I*m sure the rear hatch lid is closed and the license plate is attached tightly.

There used to be a squeak/rattle coming from the windshield area. I shoved some foam weather strip at the base of the a pilar where windshield meets the dash and that stopped the noise. Other than that my 2017 has no other odd noises. My 2014 mazda3 was also squeak/rattle free after I fixed the infamous ticking noise that a lot of folks were getting.

I too am cursed by over sensitivity but my CX-5 does not exhibit what you are experiencing. Maybe they fixed this issue in subsequent model years.

Agreed. I am extremely noise perceptive, even though my hearing is s***. Odd. That said, cruising, my CX5 has very minor noises. I hear:

-Piston slap when cold
-Injectors under low rpm load
-wind and tire noise
-transmission or diff whine under decel/coasting (but not so much accel)--It has done this for the last 70K miles, no change.

I consider these "normal".

Now, going over bumps, like a gravel road, the entire everything will make noise, lol!

I'm wondering if all the squeaks and rattles have to do with the first off the line Gen2 CX-5? There's always a price to pay for early adopters. If Mazda does anything like I know what BMW does, they make mid MY adjustments to production to correct any issues that arise.

That's what happened with the Mk1, lots of squeaks and rattles, vibrating mirrors and hoods, see all the TSB's for them.

No rattles etc on my 3 year old 2015 car.
I did have one, it was a pen in the centre console.

Last edited:
All good with my 2017 touring, ~15k km.

Once in a while I'll notice the engine more than I'd like, but much less so than the 2016 that I test drove. Even brand new that one was overall a bit too noisy for me. Mazda did a good job taming the NVH with gen2.

My KF is tight as a drum.
The only rattles are my stuff bouncing around.

My apologies for resurrecting this thread, but I would like to post an update regarding my 2017.

I took it to the dealer last week and it appears my fears were founded. The creaking while accelerating is not due to weather, rubbing of interior parts, screws in the steering column, or anything in the cabin. They even checked the suspension, motor mounts, and all throttle cables. Hell, they removed all the seats and dash and then drove it... the creak was still there!

So my dealer called for a field engineer to look at it. If there is interest I'll be happy to keep you updated.

Lastly, please head my advice: If your car is a 2nd gen and it is making a creak, squeak, or rattle take it to the dealer. Get it while it is still under warranty since this maybe a larger issue than you thought.

Latest posts

Back