Noises and squeaks

The most annoying noise is the arm rest. Had the dealer check it out and it turned out all of the other X1*s on their lot had the same noise (I sat in a couple to verify). The dealer was not helpful, but it was a Saturday and I haven*t followed up yet with a supervisor. Tried some felt pads with no luck. Plan on selling when I get a CX-5, so I*m not super concerned.

Haha, we traded our 2014 X1 for the 2019 CX-5. I had made the decision awhile ago that the X1 was going to be our last BMW since I felt BMW was going too far away from their heritage. That and the fact they shortened the included scheduled maintenance to only 3 years. At first the Mrs. was a little sad that she was losing her BMW but she's really happy with her new CX-5!

It all comes down to a person's sensitivity to these noises. I, for example, am highly sensitive and will hear any tiny little sound and be annoyed by it. I don't hold it against the car because I realize I'm uncommon in this aspect. I bet you could put me in an S-class Mercedes Benz and I'd still find rattles to be annoyed by.

That said, there are a few things in my CX-5 that seem like genuine oversights in terms of design that contribute to a feeling of cheapness. The big one would have to be the red reflectors in the bottom of the rear bumper. These are mounted loose and nothing holds them tight against the bumper inset so they rattle loudly and make the car sound junky whenever you close the rear doors. These reflectors actually rattle continuously when the engine is slow idling, being shaken by the exhaust pipe vibration.

I too am cursed by over sensitivity but my CX-5 does not exhibit what you are experiencing. Maybe they fixed this issue in subsequent model years.

No rattles anywhere in my new CX 5. Went a little crazy with a rattle sound in passenger door until I realized it was my sunglasses in the overhead holder. Now I use a little piece of foam to buffer.

squeaks

No rattles anywhere in my new CX 5. Went a little crazy with a rattle sound in passenger door until I realized it was my sunglasses in the overhead holder. Now I use a little piece of foam to buffer.

Hi,
I have had a 2017cx5gt for 16 months and have 11500 miles. They are hard miles as I live in Chicago ( extreme temp changes with the seasons) and the streets are really bad. Also a lot of short trips which is hard on the car. I have had absolutely zero squeaks. I find the car extremely quiet and comfortable. The engine is louder on start up but settles down. Personally I think it sounds good on start up.

LoL. Love it. Had the "same" issue for a few days. There was a couple of my kids Legos in the rear passenger door. I'd hear it every now and then....

Glad to know I wasnt the only one.

Also a former BMW owner. Back when the E39 was released. Now that was a car. But Over the years I realized Mazda is such a great value and handling was pretty dang good, so why should I go back to BMW? Im saving More money and having fun driving. I dont need to prove to anyone that I drive a European luxury car. At my age, I rather be more sensible. Besides I dont like the look of any of the BMW models. Except for the 3,4 series.

Haha, we traded our 2014 X1 for the 2019 CX-5. I had made the decision awhile ago that the X1 was going to be our last BMW since I felt BMW was going too far away from their heritage. That and the fact they shortened the included scheduled maintenance to only 3 years. At first the Mrs. was a little sad that she was losing her BMW but she's really happy with her new CX-5!

alright so I got my first annoying noise on my cx-5 its a weird high pitch fast chirp noise , only while the car is stopped. either red light or on parked. can't really tell where its coming from. it only starts after ive been driving for a couple of minutes. im currently on 15600 miles

alright so I got my first annoying noise on my cx-5 its a weird high pitch fast chirp noise , only while the car is stopped. either red light or on parked. can't really tell where its coming from. it only starts after ive been driving for a couple of minutes. im currently on 15600 miles

Can you post an audio recording?

Hi,
I have had a 2017cx5gt for 16 months and have 11500 miles. They are hard miles as I live in Chicago ( extreme temp changes with the seasons) and the streets are really bad. Also a lot of short trips which is hard on the car. I have had absolutely zero squeaks. I find the car extremely quiet and comfortable. The engine is louder on start up but settles down. Personally I think it sounds good on start up.

That's interesting you have the same weather conditions I do and your CX-5 is still tight.

There are days when I do think I got whatever the Japanese equivalent of a "Saturday" car is. There are too many places in my interior to list that creak and crack over every bump in the road on the drive to work each morning. A particular recessed sidewalk crossing one street causes the entire dashboard to crack loudly in multiple places when driven over.

My last car was like this too. Just luck of the draw maybe.

Maybe, but if you haven't already gotten the dealer involved, you should. The gen 2 (17+) is supposed to be nice and quiet inside, so the dealer should oblige.

That's interesting you have the same weather conditions I do and your CX-5 is still tight.

There are days when I do think I got whatever the Japanese equivalent of a "Saturday" car is. There are too many places in my interior to list that creak and crack over every bump in the road on the drive to work each morning. A particular recessed sidewalk crossing one street causes the entire dashboard to crack loudly in multiple places when driven over.

I'm wondering if all the squeaks and rattles have to do with the first off the line Gen2 CX-5? There's always a price to pay for early adopters. If Mazda does anything like I know what BMW does, they make mid MY adjustments to production to correct any issues that arise.

I'm wondering if all the squeaks and rattles have to do with the first off the line Gen2 CX-5? There's always a price to pay for early adopters. If Mazda does anything like I know what BMW does, they make mid MY adjustments to production to correct any issues that arise.

I agree there is a price to pay for early adoption, especially with a new model year. However, my 2017 was one of the later ones built (I think the build date was July) and not first off the line.

I've noticed that most of my squeaks and rattles happen in cold weather. Every once in a blue moon there is a rattle in warm weather as well. I chalk it up to temperature, horrible NJ roads, and perhaps something missed at the factory. And maybe I have bad luck of the draw too.

It sucks, but what can I do? I have little recourse since rattles are notoriously hard to diagnose. I feel like I just have to make peace with the fact that rattles happen and cars are not perfect. And if it bothers me too much I'll just trade up to a 2019/2020 Reserve. ;)

I have as well. There is a loud rattle in the hatch area in warm weather that I initially thought was the spare tire jack kit, but in the end I couldn't find the source.

There is definitely vehicle-to-vehicle variation, but one thing that also comes into play is the trim. Grand Tourings ride more firmly than Sport and Touring models due to the lower profile tires and will create more opportunity to cause plastic panels to shift upon impact. Some of the extra trim that dresses up the GT interior is a plastic panel tacked over top of another plastic panel with plastic fasteners and these parts create additional joints to create noise too. The leather padding on the center console is a great example. This part produces cheap cracking sounds if I push on it with my hand. On a Touring model that surface is hard plastic and doesn't move.

I have a cousin who bought a CX-5 at almost the same time as I did, only his is a Touring model to my Grand Touring. Mine is filled with rattles and his is dead silent and tight as a drum. He has to drive a pothole filled gravel road to get home and his is still rattle free in spite of this. The softer ride from the higher profile tires is partly the reason I think, but assembly conditions unknown to us are probably to blame for the rest of it.

Latest posts

Back