Noises and squeaks

:
21CX5 Signature
I have CX 5 2017 GT that is year and the half old 12000 miles and according to Mazda dealer all the noises and squeaks that I get inside new Mazda CX 5 that the dealer can not find the origin, and also loud engine (never experienced this with any new car I owned and I owned many) is normal.

I guess when according to Mazda Jinba Ittai (or rider and horse as one body) is the Japanese term which describes the harmony between a horse and rider noises and squeaks should be expected as part of harmony when riding the Mazda.

I have CX 5 2017 GT that is year and the half old 12000 miles and according to Mazda dealer all the noises and squeaks that I get inside new Mazda CX 5 that the dealer can not find the origin, and also loud engine (never experienced this with any new car I owned and I owned many) is normal.

I guess when according to Mazda Jinba Ittai (or *rider and horse as one body*) is the Japanese term which describes the harmony between a horse and rider noises and squeaks should be expected as part of harmony when riding the Mazda.

Mine squeaks on rough roads, but never on paved. 2015 with 100K miles. Also, the engine...it's not really loud, IMO.

*Sigh* I have the same problem. I also have a 2017 CX-5 GT and ever since it got cold I've noticed more squeaks, rattles, and noises.

My biggest gremlin right now is that I have a creaking sound when I accelerate (depress the gas pedal while driving). The best description is it sounds like a rusty spring stretching inside the cabin. Or better yet, like when you step on a loose floor board, but a metal squeak instead of a wood squeak.

My diagnosis: 1) It is not the gas pedal. The sound doesn't replicate when the car is parked, neutral or off. 2) It isn't any wires, cables, or related to steering or bearings. The sounds is not audible outside. 3) My best guess it is a loose screw, washer, or bolt that is moving against the chassis or cabin some where. I believe it has to do with a temperature differential between a warm cabin and a cold exterior body as this squeak only appears after the car is warmed up.

Thank you for listening. Any ideas from the community would be MUCH appreciated. /Rant

I've read about a few people fixing a suspension clunk by tightening some of those shock tower mount bolts under the hood. You might also try tightening plastic screws on the plastic cowl.

Arcticshade,

I think have a similar issue, it creates exactly that *creaking sound *you are describing. In my case it*s a driver seat lather rubs against the plastic cover that is on the bottom right side of the driver side seat facing center column and also the hinge that joins bottom and top portion of the seat on the same side of driver seat every time there is a movement in the seat, inserting a little foam between plastic and lather helps but does not solve the problem permanently. This car makes more creaking/rattling/squeaks and noises then my other two cars that are both over 10 years old, I think the quality of workmanship and materials used in this car is very poor.

Metro! You are my hero.

Any chance you could take a picture of what you are describing? I'm trying to wrap my head around your description and I'm not sure I fully understand.

Thank you so much.

I've noticed that these engines tend to be noisy when cold but quiet down once they're warm up. Maybe it's inherent in the Skyactive technology. My '19 is the same way.

I've noticed that these engines tend to be noisy when cold but quiet down once they're warm up. Maybe it's inherent in the Skyactive technology. My '19 is the same way.

Correct. It's a fast warm of the catalytic converter.

I think the quality of workmanship and materials used in this car is very poor.

I thought these Gen 2's were "luxury" and better materials? Or at least that's how they are getting marketed!

My Gen 1 has no squeaks or rattles except on washboard dirt roads up in the mountains (which would rattle any car), or when it is extremely bitter cold before the car has had a chance to warm up. Outside of that? No noises.

That's normal. The Skyactiv engine idles up pretty high when you first start it before quieting back down. As posted above, fast warm of the catalytic converter. So if that is what you mean by "loud engine", OP, that is normal. Once at operating temperatures, I have found my engine to be relatively quiet.

I thought these Gen 2's were "luxury" and better materials? Or at least that's how they are getting marketed!

My Gen 1 has no squeaks or rattles except on washboard dirt roads up in the mountains (which would rattle any car), or when it is extremely bitter cold before the car has had a chance to warm up. Outside of that? No noises.

That's normal. The Skyactiv engine idles up pretty high when you first start it before quieting back down. As posted above, fast warm of the catalytic converter. So if that is what you mean by "loud engine", OP, that is normal. Once at operating temperatures, I have found my engine to be relatively quiet.

I think that Mazda*s Gen 2*s *luxury* materials should be rephrased by Mazda as *luxury look with cheap feel* materials. Your explanation about the Skyactiv engine idle, makes sense to me.

I dunno.... obviously, not all cars are created equal and luck of the draw has a lot to do with your individual experiences. Even though our 2014 has been problem free, our 2019 is superior in almost every facet. Although I have to admit, I still need to fine tune the perfect driving seat position. Not too concerned, it's the better half's daily driver...(rlaugh)

FWIW, my 2017 BMW squeaks and rattles too. You*d think the arm rest is from a 1998 Kia because the noise is so bad.

Sign of the times.

We did ED with our 2009 E90 and while driving through Europe we experienced a rattling sound coming from the back seat every time we took a turn. When it arrived back in the US. they took the rear seat out and found a bushing rolling around the floorboard. Other than that, car was as tight as a drum. Have you isolated the noise from the armrest?

Metro! You are my hero.

Any chance you could take a picture of what you are describing? I'm trying to wrap my head around your description and I'm not sure I fully understand.

Thank you so much.

Here are some Pic's, I hope it helps

CX5-Noise_pic

CX5-Noise_pic

CX5-Noise_pic

CX5-Noise_pic

We did ED with our 2009 E90 and while driving through Europe we experienced a rattling sound coming from the back seat every time we took a turn. When it arrived back in the US. they took the rear seat out and found a bushing rolling around the floorboard. Other than that, car was as tight as a drum. Have you isolated the noise from the armrest?

The most annoying noise is the arm rest. Had the dealer check it out and it turned out all of the other X1s on their lot had the same noise (I sat in a couple to verify). The dealer was not helpful, but it was a Saturday and I havent followed up yet with a supervisor. Tried some felt pads with no luck. Plan on selling when I get a CX-5, so Im not super concerned.

It all comes down to a person's sensitivity to these noises. I, for example, am highly sensitive and will hear any tiny little sound and be annoyed by it. I don't hold it against the car because I realize I'm uncommon in this aspect. I bet you could put me in an S-class Mercedes Benz and I'd still find rattles to be annoyed by.

That said, there are a few things in my CX-5 that seem like genuine oversights in terms of design that contribute to a feeling of cheapness. The big one would have to be the red reflectors in the bottom of the rear bumper. These are mounted loose and nothing holds them tight against the bumper inset so they rattle loudly and make the car sound junky whenever you close the rear doors. These reflectors actually rattle continuously when the engine is slow idling, being shaken by the exhaust pipe vibration. Second would have to be the plastic guards that cover the hinge attaching the seat back to the seat bottom. There are two pieces of overlapping plastic and my body weight causes them to pop loudly like popping the metal bottom of a Pringles can whenever I get in or out, or shift my weight (for the record I'm not a very heavy person either).

Aside from those two I think the car has what I would call very normal rattle and squeak sounds for a vehicle in this class and price range. All of the plastic panels creak and crack when they thermally expand and contract. Mazda's main issue here is they did such a good job of making the car look more premium than it's price would suggest. So owners are going to expect the assembly quality to match and it doesn't. I think the car is put together just fine and is perfectly competitive with other vehicles it competes against, but Mazda has created a weird trap for themselves by giving the vehicle its over-achieving looks.

Back