2016 LED vs regular headlights

:
2016 CX-5 GT
By any chance does anyone have experience with both, I'll be on the market for a 2016 cx-5 in the summer and was wondering if the tech package is worth it. I know the LED daytime running lights are problematic. But how about the headlight performance, I do a fair amount of night time driving, so I was curious how much the difference is between the two. Also are the non-tech headlights halogen or HID?

I wanted the iActive Sensing package and had to include the Tech package to get there. I would have skipped it given a choice. Once I had it, I LOVED the LED headlights.

The LEDs are fantastic, but have a relatively low cutoff that can be a bit problematic on steep curvy terrain.

The base headlights were halogen.

By any chance does anyone have experience with both, I'll be on the market for a 2016 cx-5 in the summer and was wondering if the tech package is worth it. I know the LED daytime running lights are problematic. But how about the headlight performance, I do a fair amount of night time driving, so I was curious how much the difference is between the two. Also are the non-tech headlights halogen or HID?
Definitely you'd want a 2016 with Tech Package, GT or Touring, provided the problematic factory LED headlights have been replaced with the latest "J" version. It's easy to verify by checking the part label behind the headlight assembly.

I also want to add that LED headlights come with AFS which turns the headlight left and right based on steering wheel angle and up and down based on load. Low cut-off can be adjusted to be aimed higher and this has been done by some owners.

Yeah, non-Tech CX-5 comes with crappy halogen headlights and ugly and dim high-beam DRLs.

Wife just got back and its raining. Here are the info of my replacement LED headlights:

Passenger's side (installed 3/17/2018):
HL Sticker states: KA0G-51-030H (Manufacture date 12/28/2017)
Invoice states: KA0G-51-031J Unit (R), Head Lamp

attachment.php

View attachment 218909

Driver's side (installed 3/17/2018):
HL Sticker states: KA0G-51-040H (Manufacture date 12/13/2017)
Invoice states: KA0G-51-041J Unit (L), Head Lamp

attachment.php

View attachment 218910

So your H version LED headlight seems to be the same as my J version after all. :)

yrwei52- yeah most of the time they work well. But I had several instances where I couldnt see more than 10 feet in front of me. Not cool, but luckily I was going 15 at most, and both times were long steep uphill driveways/entrances.

LED headlights are the way to go. I would never buy a car without them. All my previous cars had halogen headlights (had with both the H4 and H7 bulbs) and they suck compared to LED. Never again halogen. If safety while driving is a concern (as it should be for night time driving) then LED headlights are a must.

The LED HL's are fantastic. Better than the xenon in my pos audi a4. Well worth the price.

The LEDs are fantastic, but have a relatively low cutoff that can be a bit problematic on steep curvy terrain.

The base headlights were halogen.

Easily corrected by anyone who knows how to handle a screwdriver, and search the web for instructions on putting the car in the correct mode.

Seems to me LEDs are fantastic until the assembly has to be replaced outside the warranty. Ouch...

Yeah, non-Tech CX-5 comes with crappy halogen headlights and ugly and dim high-beam DRLs.

Crappy? Is this just technology snobbery, or are they really that bad.

The halogens in my 2014 have worked just fine and when they need replacing it's what...$40 maybe?

Edit: I do agree that LEDs are better though, don't get me wrong.

Last edited:
So would these be the good ones or not?

Attachments

• 9BC29076-0605-4ADC-8D16-80B19312A3A6.jpeg
    9BC29076-0605-4ADC-8D16-80B19312A3A6.jpeg
    803.2 KB · Views: 392
  • 130D7BC9-E6AF-4558-8646-1F3C680FDB6C.jpeg
    130D7BC9-E6AF-4558-8646-1F3C680FDB6C.jpeg
    461.5 KB · Views: 392
Easily corrected by anyone who knows how to handle a screwdriver, and search the web for instructions on putting the car in the correct mode.

Nope. Steep inclines were the problem. Nothing you could do about it unless you could use your high beams.

Also- the LEDs don*t get hot enough to melt away ice. Not a major problem but an occasional one where I live.

And that could be a big problem in a whiteout.
But the way they see around corners is almost magical. HUGE improvement. Now we need the European adaptive stuff.

so would these be the good ones or not?

attachment.php

attachment.php
If these LED headlights with AFS, not the fancy ALH available in Australia, are from gen-1 CX-5, I believe KA3C 51 030L / KA3C 51 040L are E-code LED headlights used in everywhere in the world. In US we have DOT approved LED headlights which are different from E-code headlights, hence carry different part numbers.

Judging by the manufacture dates, 20161209 and 20170119, thesere also at the borderline of having the latest J version coming out in the US. Another way to tell is the Signature accent strip DRL on the latest J version LED headlight is a bit dimmer and looks like discrete dot-matrix LEDs instead of fiber-optical like LED DRL from earlier version.

They are the fully monty Australian ALH version, including with AFS, HBC etc as fitted standard to top of the range 2015/16 Akera.

https://www.mazda.com.au/imagination-drives-us/safety-adaptive-led-headlamps/
You have ALH, which is not available in the US, and its totally different from our LED headlights with AFS. Our LED Signature accent strip DRLs look like the pictures posted. Your ALH DRLs may look similar to ours. If they do, they may suffer the same issue from earlier versions.

Mazda%2BCX-5%2BSkyActiv%2BD%2BTaipei_04%2B-%2BLed%2BHeadlight.jpg

Mazda%2BCX-5%2BSkyActiv%2BD%2BTaipei_03%2B-%2BLed%2BHeadlight.jpg

Mazda%2BCX-5%2BSkyActiv%2BD%2BTaipei_02%2B-%2BFront%2BLed%2BLights.jpg

Mazda%2BCX-5%2BSkyActiv%2BD%2BTaipei_01%2B-%2BFront.jpg

So it sounds like the consensus is that the LED are drastically better than the halogen version. Is there any chance anyone has some output pics, I'm curious how sharp the cutoff is. Also isn't there a way to tell if it is the updated version by looking at the outside of the headlight, as in the J version is a dot matrix, and the old faulty version you can't see any dots because it is that CCFL design that looks like a solid light bar?

Back