Time for a new battery?

My battery was 160.xx installed after tax. This is a 2 year (or maybe 3?) 100% free replacement and the remainder of 5 years total, prorated. Not a shabby warranty. I want to say 3 replace 2 prorate.
Likd you, Ive been getting OEM replacement batteries on my vehicles mainly for perfect fit. On my BMW and VW theres a vent tube needs to be attached to the battery, but those aftermarket batteries, although the correct group, dont offer a vent hole. OEM batteries have those, and have no issues to have particular hold-down tabs on battery case to match original battery hold-downs.

This time, WalMarts EverStart Platinum AGM battery does offer vent hole, and Ive to pay $200+ for OEM AGM battery, so I gave it a try. Another thing Ive found is theres no more 60-month or even 100-month batteries with pro-rated warranty, but offers 2 or 3-year replacement warranty. WalMarts EverStart batteries have 5-year warranty with 3-year replacement and the rest pro-rated. Costcos lead-acid InterState batteries offer 3-year replacement warranty only.

Most aftermarket car batteries sold in the US are made by 3 companies that build them for retailers: Johnson Controls, which supplies more than half of the market、Exide、and East Penn. Heres an old post with plenty of information:

In all actuality most automotive batteries are about the same. The largest manufacturer of lead acid batteries is Johnson controls Inc. My wife works them, the battery division no less. They have three battery groups, OEM, Aftermarket and hybrid technologies.

Here is the list of brands that Johnson Controls Manufactures:

Interstate
Diehard
Duralast
Kirkland
EverStartt
ProStart
Optima
AutoCraft
AdvanceAuto batteries
Blains farm and fleet
Western Auto
Varta
Bosch
Champion
LTH
LTD

OEM Supplier to these Car Companies as well:
Ford Motor company, Diamler Chrysler, Honda, Toyota, Nissan, and Isuzu

So if you look at two popular batteries, Interstate Mega-tron plus Group 35 and the everstart Maxx group 35 they have the exact same specs, 640 cold cranking amps. They are the exact same battery on the inside, trust me, I've been to the plants and have seen them being made. The difference is one goes into a black box and the other goes inside a white box. The difference is the warranties. Everstart maxx has a 3 year free replacement and then 2 years prorated after that for a total of 5 years. Interstate has a 6 year total warranty with the first 2.5 years being a full replacement, 45% off msrp for the next 1.5 years, 25% off in year five and 10% off new battery for year 6.

Bottom, line get what ever battery you want that is in your market and at the price you want.

Yup I stick with OEM as well and thats what I was saying earlier to look at warranty. Its probably a Johnson Control regardless of the name on the battery because theyre the largest by far.

I paid $194 for my Duralast Platinum 680 CCA AGM battery at Autozone. 3 year free replacement, nothing after that. I installed it myself. It'll be 2 years old in a couple of weeks.

Last edited:
If you are installing a new battery at home you can maintain memories by using jumper cables to connect to another car or anything with a 12 volt battery. You can connect one jumper to a good ground anywhere under the hood. The other (Positive) will need to be connected to the battery cable.

Thanks all. Maybe I'll take it somewhere. Someone earlier said transmission will reset (I assume he meant ECU?) and I'm not keen on that if true.

One thing Im not sure about with Mazda is if there is a battery minder. On my previous car, Focus ST, there was and a setting for when the battery was installed which allows it to factor age into its algorithm for monitoring the battery state and when to engage rundown protection. The bad part was that you needed a dealer tool to set that. Some independent shops will have it if theyre full service but the Walmarts and so on doubtful they know about it or have the tool. Of course you dont really have to reset it and I know plenty of people who did their own install and didnt and their world didnt end or anything like that.

Anyone know if Mazda even has rundown protection or battery health monitoring?

Thanks all. Maybe I'll take it somewhere. Someone earlier said transmission will reset (I assume he meant ECU?) and I'm not keen on that if true.
No worries. I've been doing battery replacement many times without a memory saver, the only obvious thing I need to do is to reset the radio setups. Based on reports from many CX-5 owners who disconnect negative post for many reasons, none of them mentioned any particular issues need their attention after re-connected the terminal. I don't believe it'll affect transmission programming; even if it does, the TCM will re-learn your shift habit very fast like a new vehicle. Power window reset? Never appears it's needed but again, even if it does, the procedure is simple.

Honestly, those technicians at WalMart doing battery replacement may have less vehicle knowledge than you. They'll use a memory saver to save their time and trouble.

It won't hurt to use some battery post corrosion protection spray when you install the new battery. And clean any white corrosion matter with baking soda if there's any on battery terminals.

The only hassle for you is since you don't have Costco membership and have to get help from your father, I'd suggest to take your old battery out first and bring it with you to Costco. You'd save one extra trip to Costco to get the core charge ($15?) back.

And get a cheap memory saver if you're really worried about losing some saved parameters while the battery is out.

No worries. I've been doing battery replacement many times without a memory saver, the only obvious thing I need to do is to reset the radio setups. Based on reports from many CX-5 owners who disconnect negative post for many reasons, none of them mentioned any particular issues need their attention after re-connected the terminal. I don't believe it'll affect transmission programming; even if it does, the TCM will re-learn your shift habit very fast like a new vehicle. Power window reset? Never appears it's needed but again, even if it does, the procedure is simple.

Well in that case I won't worry about it then. My radio is not setup special or anything like that.

The only hassle for you is since you don't have Costco membership and have to get help from your father, I'd suggest to take your old battery out first and bring it with you to Costco. You'd save one extra trip to Costco to get the core charge ($15?) back.

Core charge? So do I bring it in with me in a cart, grab the new one and when I go to pay for it...here's my old one?

Core charge? So do I bring it in with me in a cart, grab the new one and when I go to pay for it...here's my old one?
Yeah although it may depend on State regulation, but there'll always be core charge ($10~$20) and disposal fee ($3 in Texas) for car battery purchase. Car batteries are stocked at the tire section in Costco and you have to go cashier there to get a new Interstate battery. You bring the old battery in and get a new battery to waive the core charge. Or they'll add the core charge when you purchase the battery, and bring the old battery in later for refund on core charge.

When I brought in my wife's battery, I left it at Customer Service. Grabbed the battery, paid for it at the till, then went back to Customer Service with the receipt. They refunded the core charge to my card (which I think was $10 or $13).

I have disconnected my CX-5 2017 battery a few times and there were no issues at all about transmission, istop or power windows. The only thing that I had to re save were the radio presets. There is a lot of false information and rumor in the internet.

Anyone know why they don't use non-volatile memory for the radio presets?

I guess that like an old pc that had the 2032 coin battery, to keep the date and time you had to replace it every 3-5 years and could be in a place hard to reach to do that.

Anyone know why they don't use non-volatile memory for the radio presets?
Cost, and lazy to re-design an existing tuner IC to utilize non-volatile memory for preset radio stations.

Once you disconnect the battery, the 1-touch auto/up windows need to be reset as well.
It is very easy to do, but mechanics tend to forget about that.

Back