Time for a new battery?

I think it's a given that you're going to have to change it anyway, so just do it and see what happens.

You're probably due for a replacement. Best to replace it now instead of doing what my girlfriend at the time did. She put it off until her car wouldn't start, and I had to go and buy the battery and install it for her in -35c weather. That was... fun.

Installation is very easy, all you need is a socket set. Instructions here: https://www.wikihow.com/Disconnect-a-Car-Battery
Basically, disconnect the negative terminal first, and don't let either of the terminals touch each other or any metal parts.

Great, thank you!

Fortunately its easy to access on the CX-5. On my previous car, Focus ST, it was a pita! Tucked halfway under the cowl.
8c42b5c69f4f807f7e834cc3cf7f0b5a.jpg

See how they had to do the negative terminal. Not shown here there is also a plastic cover over it.

Since your battery is going on 6 years old, it is your battery for sure. Not many people know this but Home Depot sells automotive batteries and they are at a good price. I suggest getting the Exide Extreme battery, the CX-5 takes a group 35 battery, it comes with a 40 month replacement warranty, the price is only $89 for the battery.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Exide-Extreme-35-Auto-Battery-35X/204852597

$94 here. Costco has one that seems to have better numbers for $75. I'm going to hit up my Dad as he has a membership over there.

Fortunately it*s easy to access on the CX-5. On my previous car, Focus ST, it was a pita! Tucked halfway under the cowl.
8c42b5c69f4f807f7e834cc3cf7f0b5a.jpg

See how they had to do the negative terminal. Not shown here there is also a plastic cover over it.

Yeesh! PITA indeed!

I got my 2nd car's battery from AAA. After all said and done 140 bucks and in the end he said the battery has a 6 year warranty. I was like 6! in Texas. Yes 6 years warranty - interstate dressed as AAA.

I got my 2nd car's battery from AAA. After all said and done 140 bucks and in the end he said the battery has a 6 year warranty. I was like 6! in Texas. Yes 6 years warranty - interstate dressed as AAA.

well actually it most likely only has a 30 month ( 2 1/2 Year) free replacement warranty and after that you will get a discount on a replacement battery anywhere from 10% to 50% depending on the age of the battery.

Anyone know the CCA of the OEM factory battery?

A google search did not yield any results as far as I could see. Just want to make sure whatever I am getting is as good or better.

As others have said, you might as well replace it proactively. It WILL fail within the next few years at best.

If you do it before it fails, you can pick your time and place. Avoid some possible misery in the cold. And not be late for wherever you're going. :)

As others have said, you might as well replace it proactively. It WILL fail within the next few years at best.

If you do it before it fails, you can pick your time and place. Avoid some possible misery in the cold. And not be late for wherever you're going. :)

This!

Once it hits 5 years I replace.

Or both are just made by Johnson Control who makes a bunch of other brands too. I just go by the specs like CCA and warranty terms. Doesnt really matter whos name is on it.

Fully agree!

Called my Dad who has a Costco membership and am going to go over there with him maybe next week.

When my cranking speed slowed down, I hooked up my tester and it indeed said it was time for a new battery. Put the new one in and it was back to its normal cranking speed. One caveat if you've never changed a battery before; if you don't have a battery/memory maintainer, you'll have to reset a bunch of stuff (like radio stations, power window settings, etc) and the transmission will have to "re-learn" your driving style. Not a show stopper, but if you get it replaced somewhere that has the memory maintainer, it's a lot easier. I have one that I bought a few years back since I end up being "the maintenance guy" on a few vehicles and it's a nice to have piece of equipment.

When my cranking speed slowed down, I hooked up my tester and it indeed said it was time for a new battery. Put the new one in and it was back to its normal cranking speed. One caveat if you've never changed a battery before; if you don't have a battery/memory maintainer, you'll have to reset a bunch of stuff (like radio stations, power window settings, etc) and the transmission will have to "re-learn" your driving style. Not a show stopper, but if you get it replaced somewhere that has the memory maintainer, it's a lot easier. I have one that I bought a few years back since I end up being "the maintenance guy" on a few vehicles and it's a nice to have piece of equipment.
That's good to know. Thanks.

I've noticed on some of the particularly cold days this winter that my CX-5 sounds like it's struggling a bit to start. Don't get me wrong it starts, but it definitely sounds like a labored start as opposed to an effortless one. It's been almost 6 years since I bought it, new battery time? Something else? Want to figure out what I need to do before I get in and it doesn't start at all. I figured battery, but is there something else I should look at too?

Thanks.

My battery lasted 3 years.

Mazda dealer price was the same as autozone, and labor was free, and I didnt have to dick with presets. OEM/Dealer has been the way to go 100% with this car.

My battery lasted 3 years.

Mazda dealer price was the same as autozone, and labor was free, and I didnt have to dick with presets. OEM/Dealer has been the way to go 100% with this car.
Depends. Dealers around here on price? Not so much

Back