Time for a new battery?

ColoradoDriver

2014 CX-5 Touring AWD - 132k miles
Contributor
:
Denver, CO
I've noticed on some of the particularly cold days this winter that my CX-5 sounds like it's struggling a bit to start. Don't get me wrong it starts, but it definitely sounds like a labored start as opposed to an effortless one. It's been almost 6 years since I bought it, new battery time? Something else? Want to figure out what I need to do before I get in and it doesn't start at all. I figured battery, but is there something else I should look at too?

Thanks.

Ours has been doing it since new. Five years old now, has been smart - charged every Friday for at least 24hrs. Electrolyte levels and densities are good.
Even after charging it feels lazy the same. I chalked it off as a car "feature".

At 6 years, it's likely time to replace.

However, what's the resting voltage? Has it ever had a trickle charger on it?

I like to put mine on a charger once in fall and once during spring.

I will add the Mazda has seemed lazy starting and requiring more cranks from new as compared to my other vehicles. So yes I think thats somewhat normal and probably why they had to develop that istop or whatever it was for their start/stop.

I still say if the battery is 6+ years old Id just replace vs waiting for it to fail and be really inconvenient.

you did pretty good getting almost 6 years of your battery, these days you are lucky to get more than 3 or 4 years out of one.

Im guessing the slower cranking is maybe because of the higher compression ratio than most cars. But who knows.

Agreed 6 years is a good run for a car battery.

I don't know, just seems like a slower crank than normal.

I have no idea what the resting voltage is or how to test that.

But 6 years, perhaps it's time. Are batteries pretty easy to replace?

Its not difficult but also the places that sell them will often do it for little to no cost.... they want the old one for recycling

Advance Auto or Autozone will test your old one for free, install a new one for free as well. They don*t carry Interstate and I really wanted I try one of those. Found a coupon for $20 off battery replacement a couple years ago for Tires Plus. Got a new Interstate battery for about the cost of Advance and Autozones store brand.

My factory one was good for 4 years before it crapped out. It started fine until one day nothing happened when hitting the push button start. Headlights were on, just dimmed when hitting start and the engine wouldn*t turn.

There are only a couple of companies that actually make the batteries. Id have to look it up but I think interstate are made by Johnson control.

No biggie. I looked it up a couple years ago like who makes DieHard, Optima and stuff. Completely forgot who does what. Just wanted to try something new after having the store brand batteries die on me after 3-4 years. Interstate couldn*t do any worse. Toyota battery was terrible for me. Failed in less than 2 years on my 2014 Corolla.

The 3rd OEM replacement battery on my 2000 BMW 528i just died today. I decided to try WalMarts EverStart Platinum AGM (Absorbed Glass Mat) battery which is more expensive but is supposed to last longer with two times the cycle life of conventional batteries. WalMarts EverStart battery appears to be the same as AutoZones Duralast battery but for $30 less. Costco has Interstate Group H8 battery I need for BMW, but its a conventional battery and more expensive than the same type battery sold at WalMart.

For Mazda CX-5 I couldnt find Group 35 AGM battery anywhere. For $79, Interstate Group 35 battery sold at Costco is the best buy for our CX-5. But Costco doesnt do battery installation for customers.

Just how cold is "particularly cold"? There's a few people (experts!) around the web which will tell you to just replace it after 4 years, particularly a car with a full compliment of electronic gadgetry..My 2016 with 25k miles on it doesn't like to be cranked at 23 degrees, had a slow crank the other morning.

Last edited:
Im pretty sure all the ones you listed are Johnson Control or maybe Exide. I think Mazda OEM is probably Panasonic.

Im not sure Id put in an AGM if the charging system of the car isnt designed for it. I think Mazda does use AGM on models with start stop so its possible it will recognize it and do the right thing. I just wouldnt assume and would confirm it first.

Just how cold is "particularly cold"? There's a few people (experts!) around the web which will tell you to just replace it after 4 years, particularly a car with a full compliment of electronic gadgetry..My 2016 with 25k miles on it doesn't like to be cranked at 23 degrees, had a slow crank the other morning.

Yeah, I'm definitely talking cold like that, below freezing.

I don't know...it just feels like its cranking slower than normal for even cold weather.

You got the best out of a battery and now looks like it will fail you anytime, anywhere. Before that happen, replace it.

Yeah, I'm definitely talking cold like that, below freezing.

I don't know...it just feels like its cranking slower than normal for even cold weather.

You're probably due for a replacement. Best to replace it now instead of doing what my girlfriend at the time did. She put it off until her car wouldn't start, and I had to go and buy the battery and install it for her in -35c weather. That was... fun.

Installation is very easy, all you need is a socket set. Instructions here: https://www.wikihow.com/Disconnect-a-Car-Battery
Basically, disconnect the negative terminal first, and don't let either of the terminals touch each other or any metal parts.

Back