Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Time for a new battery?

Resident barbarian ColoradoDriver's Avatar
    Donated: $5

2014 CX-5 Touring AWD

Thanks all. Maybe I'll take it somewhere. Someone earlier said transmission will reset (I assume he meant ECU?) and I'm not keen on that if true.
    2014 CX-5 Touring AWD | Jet Black Mica - 76k miles
    01/2013 build | 4/20/2013 buy

Registered Member

2017 CX-5

One thing I’m not sure about with Mazda is if there is a battery minder. On my previous car, Focus ST, there was and a setting for when the battery was installed which allows it to factor age into its algorithm for monitoring the battery state and when to engage rundown protection. The bad part was that you needed a dealer tool to set that. Some independent shops will have it if they’re full service but the Walmart’s and so on doubtful they know about it or have the tool. Of course you don’t really have to reset it and I know plenty of people who did their own install and didn’t and their world didn’t end or anything like that.

Anyone know if Mazda even has rundown protection or battery health monitoring?

Donated: $8

2016 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech

Arrow Time for a new battery?

Quote Originally Posted by ColoradoDriver View Post
    Thanks all. Maybe I'll take it somewhere. Someone earlier said transmission will reset (I assume he meant ECU?) and I'm not keen on that if true.
    No worries. I've been doing battery replacement many times without a memory saver, the only obvious thing I need to do is to reset the radio setups. Based on reports from many CX-5 owners who disconnect negative post for many reasons, none of them mentioned any particular issues need their attention after re-connected the terminal. I don't believe it'll affect transmission programming; even if it does, the TCM will re-learn your shift habit very fast like a new vehicle. Power window reset? Never appears it's needed but again, even if it does, the procedure is simple.

Honestly, those technicians at WalMart doing battery replacement may have less vehicle knowledge than you. They'll use a memory saver to save their time and trouble.

It won't hurt to use some battery post corrosion protection spray when you install the new battery. And clean any white corrosion matter with baking soda if there's any on battery terminals.

The only hassle for you is since you don't have Costco membership and have to get help from your father, I'd suggest to take your old battery out first and bring it with you to Costco. You'd save one extra trip to Costco to get the core charge ($15?) back.

And get a cheap memory saver if you're really worried about losing some saved parameters while the battery is out.

Resident barbarian ColoradoDriver's Avatar

2014 CX-5 Touring AWD

Quote Originally Posted by yrwei52 View Post
    No worries. I've been doing battery replacement many times without a memory saver, the only obvious thing I need to do is to reset the radio setups. Based on reports from many CX-5 owners who disconnect negative post for many reasons, none of them mentioned any particular issues need their attention after re-connected the terminal. I don't believe it'll affect transmission programming; even if it does, the TCM will re-learn your shift habit very fast like a new vehicle. Power window reset? Never appears it's needed but again, even if it does, the procedure is simple.
    Well in that case I won't worry about it then. My radio is not setup special or anything like that.

The only hassle for you is since you don't have Costco membership and have to get help from your father, I'd suggest to take your old battery out first and bring it with you to Costco. You'd save one extra trip to Costco to get the core charge ($15?) back.
    Core charge? So do I bring it in with me in a cart, grab the new one and when I go to pay for it...here's my old one?
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Arrow Time for a new battery?

Core charge? So do I bring it in with me in a cart, grab the new one and when I go to pay for it...here's my old one?
    Yeah although it may depend on State regulation, but there'll always be core charge ($10~$20) and disposal fee ($3 in Texas) for car battery purchase. Car batteries are stocked at the tire section in Costco and you have to go cashier there to get a new Interstate battery. You bring the old battery in and get a new battery to waive the core charge. Or they'll add the core charge when you purchase the battery, and bring the old battery in later for refund on core charge.

Donated: $25

2018 Mazda CX-9 Signature

When I brought in my wife's battery, I left it at Customer Service. Grabbed the battery, paid for it at the till, then went back to Customer Service with the receipt. They refunded the core charge to my card (which I think was $10 or $13).

Registered Member

CX-5 AWD, 2017

Quote Originally Posted by yrwei52 View Post

I have disconnected my CX-5 2017 battery a few times and there were no issues at all about transmission, istop or power windows. The only thing that I had to re save were the radio presets. There is a lot of false information and rumor in the internet.

2017 CX-5 GT AWD Tech

Anyone know why they don't use non-volatile memory for the radio presets?

Registered Member

CX 5

I guess that like an old pc that had the 2032 coin battery, to keep the date and time you had to replace it every 3-5 years and could be in a place hard to reach to do that.

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by shadonoz View Post
    Anyone know why they don't use non-volatile memory for the radio presets?
    Cost, and lazy to re-design an existing tuner IC to utilize non-volatile memory for preset radio stations.

2017 Mazda CX-5 GT, 2016 Mazda6 iGT, 2014 Mazda3 sGT hatchback

Once you disconnect the battery, the 1-touch auto/up windows need to be reset as well.
    It is very easy to do, but mechanics tend to forget about that.
    2016 Mazda6 iGT + Tech Pkg
    ....Sonic Silver Mica / Parchment
    2014 Mazda3 sGT hatchback
    ....Soul Red Metallic / Almond

Quote Originally Posted by ceric View Post
    Once you disconnect the battery, the 1-touch auto/up windows need to be reset as well.
    If you find you need to do that, you can find out how to do the procedure in your owner's manual

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234