Where is the AWD light?

jdhoule

:
Mazda CX-5 Touring
Folks:
I just got bought a used 2016 CX-5 touring w AWD and touring tech package, but... I can't find the AWD light on the dash... it may not be going on, or I just can't find it... Any hints as to where it is?
Picture, maybe?
Thanks
Joe

Owners' manual maybe?

AWDWarning Light
This warning light stays on for a few
seconds when the ignition is switched
ON.
The warning light will illuminate or flash
under the following conditions:
l Illuminates when there is an
abnormality with the AWD system.
l Illuminates if there is too much
difference in tire radius between the
front and rear wheels.
l Flashes when the differential oil
temperature is abnormally high.
l Flashes when there are continually
large differences between front and rear
wheel rotation, such as when trying to
pull away from an icy surface, or when
trying to extricate the vehicle from
mud, sand or similar conditions.

When illuminated
If the AWD warning light illuminates,
contact an Authorized Mazda Dealer

Last edited:
If there is one, it doesnt illuminate when AWD kicks in. The damn thing would be flashing all the time due to the systems predictive nature.

i'm looking for it when the ignition is switched on... I can't find it.

maybe this helps

znsyeg.png

Are you asking because you want to make sure it is actually an AWD CX-5 and not a FWD?

The VIN implies AWD, the decal on the back implies it. and well... not that I don't trust used car salesmen... but... who know the extent of deception. ... or is a fuse blown or removed and a defective system would have the light illuminate.

The VIN implies AWD, the decal on the back implies it. and well... not that I don't trust used car salesmen... but... who know the extent of deception. ... or is a fuse blown or removed and a defective system would have the light illuminate.

Look underneath for the driveshaft going to the rear wheels. Plus there will be a rear differential too.

ok... Hardware is there... where is the light when I "turn on" the ignition? to bring confidence that would work?

Your post made me realize what this thread was actually about...and you have the top answer lol

ok... Hardware is there... where is the light when I "turn on" the ignition? to bring confidence that would work?

There is no light that comes on. If the light is on, that means there is a fault. You should never see the "4WD" light come on under normal working conditions.

Im not sure why youre so worried about it working. The system is calibrated quite nicely and its almost impossible to notice its engaged unless youre flogging the crap out of it or on some really dicey terrain.

I*m not sure why you*re so worried about it working. The system is calibrated quite nicely and it*s almost impossible to notice its engaged unless you*re flogging the crap out of it or on some really dicey terrain.

Now that you mention calibration, I've noticed a marked changed in the handling/power delivery characteristics of my 2015 when in 4th gear at mid ~3500RPM and up. I've noticed it specifically when driving around the hill country canyon carving, where the understeer becomes noticeably less in 4th. If I move to 3rd gear, same speed the understeer increases (while RPMS and thus power available for transfer increase which is why I think it's a system logic). I think there is some specific programming in the TCM regarding the rear axle and 4th gear. Honestly I wish it was the same for 3rd gear because to put down power in 4th you have to be up in the rpms and therefore up in MPH... which is obviously unsuitable for cornering at speeds around 50-70.

Your post made me realize what this thread was actually about...and you have the top answer lol

There is no light that comes on. If the light is on, that means there is a fault. You should never see the "4WD" light come on under normal working conditions.
Correct.

You are fine, OP. Enjoy the ride.

Folks:
I just got bought a used 2016 CX-5 touring w AWD and touring tech package, but... I can't find the AWD light on the dash... it may not be going on, or I just can't find it... Any hints as to where it is?
Picture, maybe?
Thanks
Joe

The day you see it, is the day you spend $3K to make it go away, lol!

Back