Who makes roof rack cross bars that are adjustable fore and aft?

I often carry up to three 16-18' sea kayaks (one in a center saddle, two on the sides in J-cradles) over fairly long distances and at interstate highway speeds. In my previous two cars, I could slide the mounting feet along the factory side rails such that I had nearly 4' of separation between the crossbars. When I did the fit kit lookup on the Thule web site the recommended mount is fixed - rather than clamping the rail, it is screwed into fixed points in the factory rail that are less than 30" apart.

Has anyone found a crossbar rack solution that is adjustable fore and aft? If not, do you think it would be possible to drill another set of mounting holes closer to the ends of the factory rails?

From the (lack of a) response...maybe nobody does (shrug)

How about drilling new sets of holes closer to the ends? Do you think that would be practical?

What would be the weight of those three boats combined? On the 2016 models the Mazda rack (which is adjustable fore and aft) the max weight is stated at 150 lbs.

What would be the weight of those three boats combined? On the 2016 models the Mazda rack (which is adjustable fore and aft) the max weight is stated at 150 lbs.

About 50-60 lbs. each so 150-180 lbs plus the weight of the rack components so maybe another 20 lbs. Sadly, I don*t think the Mazda rack is adjustable on the 2019 (which appears to be the same as the 2017/18).

I often carry up to three 16-18' sea kayaks (one in a center saddle, two on the sides in J-cradles) over fairly long distances and at interstate highway speeds. In my previous two cars, I could slide the mounting feet along the factory side rails such that I had nearly 4' of separation between the crossbars. When I did the fit kit lookup on the Thule web site the recommended mount is fixed - rather than clamping the rail, it is screwed into fixed points in the factory rail that are less than 30" apart.

Has anyone found a crossbar rack solution that is adjustable fore and aft? If not, do you think it would be possible to drill another set of mounting holes closer to the ends of the factory rails?

I posted something like this earlier. Its my feeling that the CX-5 lacks some the Utility in term SUV!
I have the factory side rails and cross bars on a 2017. Its disappointing in its poor accommodation to
cargo mounting flexibility! What I don't like is the lack of good tie down points for racheting straps!
the aero nature of the side rails offer limited ability to really tie stuff down like lumber.
I had to get a Rola Cargo Basket and adapt an interface to mount it. Photos later when I am done.

Anyone attempted this (installing adjustable crossbars)?

I have a flush-mount-rail-compatible setup that I could test out, but I would need to buy and install the rails first. If an adjustable setup is a definite no-go, I might forego the rails and just get a fixed-point setup. Any thoughts?

Back