Help, please, with Lane-Keep Assist

Ok, maybe I'm a little defensive...
My car cred includes a Lotus, BMW, Porsche, Triumph, Austin Healey, and other "enthusiast" cars. My first Mazda was the first RX-7 sold in in my market back in 1979 (that rust color with the weird tartan seats). I currently put around 6,000 miles on my Aston Martin DB9 each year, and I do its oil changes and replaced the twelve coil packs myself. The car I replaced with my CX-9 was a Mini Cooper S.
But the reason I wanted a CX-9 with all the newest safety gadgets is because I'm now 66 (not retired yet) and I drive my wife and various other family members 700 miles back to visit her parents and siblings four or five times each year. We do the drive in one day.
I haven't had an insurance-claim accident in three decades, but there are times when I've felt lucky. I don't want to look left one day and have my hands follow, steering me into the next lane. I don't want to be changing a radio station and glance down long enough to miss the other 66-year old who's just slammed on the brakes. I think that arguing against the best safety tech available is like arguing against seatbelts. Hey, if you drive properly, who needs them?

Just so you know, this idea of Lane Centering is nothing new to Mazda, consider their webpage:

http://www.mazda.com/en/innovation/technology/safety/active_safety/las/

(Take a look at *Lane Trace* toward the bottom. Apparently Mazda either offers this in other countries, or decided to remove it from their current offerings.)
Pretty sure my 2017 has Lane Trace in the LKAS. Around long curves in the road (when the system can detect the lane lines) I can feel the steering assistance from the car. The effect is that it requires less driver effort to keep the steering wheel turned at the proper angle throughout the curve.

Currently, this LKA (or whatever name), is being replaced by *Lane Centering* systems that keep you in the center of the lane. The list of manufacturers that now feature this newer technology AS STANDARD in 2019 is rapidly growing, including lower cost vehicles from Toyota, Nissan, and Subaru.

Mazda will be forced by market pressures to add it, (maybe by 2020?). Meanwhile I*m seriously looking into the new Rav 4, which has it now.
Here is a list of some cars with Lane Centering: https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Lane_centering#Sample_of_level_2_automated_cars

Hey Zuman - I agree with you, the very poor Lane-Keep Assist is pretty useless - it hardly ever works.

I do wonder if there are settings available internally that would increase it's effectiveness - that the dealer has access to?

Back