Help, please, with Lane-Keep Assist

Zuman

:
2018 Mazda CX-9 Signature
I've tried to make sure I've read the owners manual carefully and I've also searched this site and the web, but I just can't convince myself that LAS is working on my 2018 CX-9 Signature, which I've owned for just one week.
-I've ensured that the LAS Off switch light is NOT illuminated.
-I have never seen the white or green LAS/LDWS indicator icons (that look like an aerial view of the car between two parallel lines) that the manual says should appear when the LAS system is on standby.
-I have never seen the "Please hold the steering wheel" warning when I've momentarily let go of the wheel or held it very lightly.
-I have never felt the system attempt to steer me back into the lane when I've let the car wander left or right toward the line.
I've checked that the windshield is clean in front of the camera, and - of course - I understand that the lane-edge lines need to be distinct and I need to be traveling over 37 mph.
Before I call the dealer...any thoughts?
Thanks.

My understanding is that US-spec vehicles do not have this feature activated.

Pretty sure this is incorrect. The feature is available in Canada (works on my CX-9), and I'm pretty sure others in the US have and are able to use this feature.

Make sure your TCS isn't disabled, as that will also disable LKAS. I'd suggest taking it to the dealer to see what they say. It could be a camera malfunction, TCS malfunction, or power steering malfunction. In the meantime, I would also consider the following (taken out of the 2018 CX-9 US Ownder's manual):

Under the following conditions, the LAS & LDWS may not be able to detect white (yellow) lane lines correctly and it may not operate normally.

If an object placed on the dashboard is reflected in the windshield and picked up by the camera.

Heavy luggage is loaded in the luggage compartment or on the rear seat and the vehicle is tilted.

The tire pressures are not adjusted to the specified pressure.

Tires other than conventional tires are equipped.

Vehicle is driven on an intersection or junction, or on a forked road.

The white (yellow) lane lines are less visible because of dirt or fading/patchiness.

A vehicle in front of your vehicle is running near a white (yellow) lane line making it less visible.

A white (yellow) lane line is less visible because of bad weather (rain, fog, or snow).

The vehicle is driven on a temporary lane or section with a closed lane resulting from construction where there may be multiple white (yellow) lane lines or they are interrupted.

A misleading line is picked up on the road such as a temporary line for construction, or because of shade, lingering snow, or grooves filled with water.

The surrounding brightness suddenly changes such as when entering or exiting a tunnel.

The illumination of the headlights is weakened because of dirt or the optical axis is deviated.

The windshield is dirty or foggy.

The windshield, camera is fogged (water droplets).

Back-light is reflected off the road surface.

The road surface is wet and shiny after rain, or there are puddles on the road.

The shade of a guardrail parallel to a white (yellow) lane line is cast on the road.

The width of the driving lane is narrow or wide.

Driving on roads with tight curves.

The road is excessively uneven.

The vehicle is shaken after hitting a road bump.

There are two or more adjacent white (yellow) lane lines.

There are various road markings or lane markings of various shapes near an intersection.

More info found here: https://www.mazdausa.com/static/manuals/2018/cx9/contents/05281400.html?kw=lane-keep&hw=lane-keep

Last edited:
Pretty sure this is incorrect. The feature is available in Canada (works on my CX-9), and I'm pretty sure others in the US have and are able to use this feature.

Works as advertised on my 6 as well, including the message "put your hands back on the steering wheel, you idiot". lol.

I've tried to make sure I've read the owners manual carefully and I've also searched this site and the web, but I just can't convince myself that LAS is working on my 2018 CX-9 Signature, which I've owned for just one week.
-I've ensured that the LAS Off switch light is NOT illuminated.
-I have never seen the white or green LAS/LDWS indicator icons (that look like an aerial view of the car between two parallel lines) that the manual says should appear when the LAS system is on standby.
-I have never seen the "Please hold the steering wheel" warning when I've momentarily let go of the wheel or held it very lightly.
-I have never felt the system attempt to steer me back into the lane when I've let the car wander left or right toward the line.
I've checked that the windshield is clean in front of the camera, and - of course - I understand that the lane-edge lines need to be distinct and I need to be traveling over 37 mph.
Before I call the dealer...any thoughts?
Thanks.

First I would go into your settings and make sure it is turned on. I don't recall the specific path, but I think it's under the safety tab. You can set audible or vibration alerts.

Give the detail in your question, I'm comfortable assuming you have already done so. But good to double check.

If you already have, it's time to call the dealer.

LKAS is active in US cars.

i know my buddy's Cx-9 has the Lane keep assist feature,
We are in NY. It's very subtle, i think other markets might have a different variation of this.
Even in this review on the mazda 6 does not have the "please hold steering wheel" warning.

There is no question - your US 2018 has Lane Keep Assist.

Have you went into Settings - and made sure it is "ON" ?

Thanks, all. I appreciate your suggestions.
Yes, it's turned on in "Settings" under the "Safety" tab, and I've tried it on different roads under a number of different conditions. I'm pretty sure it SHOULD have activated on at least some of them.
I guess it's a trip to the dealer.

Yes, it's turned on in "Settings" under the "Safety" tab, and I've tried it on different roads under a number of different conditions. I'm pretty sure it SHOULD have activated on at least some of them.

Check the sensitivity setting as well...

i know my buddy's Cx-9 has the Lane keep assist feature,
We are in NY. It's very subtle, i think other markets might have a different variation of this.
Even in this review on the mazda 6 does not have the "please hold steering wheel" warning.

It is very subtle. According to the techs I spoke with yesterday, the lane-keep assist applies only 2 lbs of force to the steering wheel. That is hardly going to be felt if both hands are on the wheel. They suggested letting go of the wheel (under controlled conditions) to really see how it works. And of course you eventually get the PLEASE HOLD STEERING WHEEL message flash up.

They said that ALL of the autonomous systems are disabled by the slightest hint of control by the driver so as not to interfere. With the emergency braking, they said that if even the slightest contact of your foot to the brake pedal will prevent the brakes from engaging, but the warning still flashes. Same as the lightest of touch to the steering wheel. (Probably a good reason NOT to wrap your wheel with anything aftermarket.)

Is your HUD turned on? The HOLD WHEEL message does not appear the second your hands let go of the wheel, but it will - unless you don't have the HUD turned on.

eoiiesuwd23y.jpg

The white "lane lines" in the HUD and this display page in the gauges show up when the system/camera has detected lane markings. If it has not detected lane markings, those "lane lines" in the HUD and gauge display would not be visible and it would just be a car icon, not flanked by the white lines. That's how you can tell if the system is on and detecting lane markings. They would turn on and off as you drive along and the conditions of the lane markings change. A well marked highway would be a good test, since it would have a long consistent set of lane lines for the system to detect.

If the system has detected lane markings and is displaying those lines and you begin to cross over those lines without signalling (above 37mph), the "lane line" on the side that you are crossing over should turn yellow and you would get an alert from the car (rumble strip sounds or vibration through the steering wheel) and the car's steering will attempt to nudge you back to the center of the lane.

If you do not see those lane lines come in and out on your displays, that could be the first sign that the system is not functioning properly. If they are there, but the system is not giving you a warning that you are crossing over or no nudge in the steering wheel, then that's another part of the system that could be malfunctioning.

Thank you, deepfriedsushi...that is a brilliant summary.
I've seen the display lines that indicate drifting from my lane and also experienced the steering wheel vibration warning resulting from doing so. But I haven't felt the steering correction (or seen the hands-off-wheel warning).
I'm going to switch from the vibration alert to the beep in case the vibration is masking the steering correction.

Another thing to be aware of is how "sharp" or quickly you cross over the lines. Since the "nudge" is so subtle, the quicker you cross over the line the less time there is for the system to correct the path of the car.

You can give this a try by ensuring the car has detected lane markings, then very slowly drift towards one side and approach the line and attempt to cross over. As you gradually approach the line and get close to crossing over, the system should give you a warning with the vibration or the rumble and will try to correct the car by nudging the wheel. By drifting over slowly, it gives more time for the system to correct the direction of the car to steer you away from the lane marking. The "nudge" in the steering feels like a magnetic force that is tugging on the steering wheel and goes away very quickly after you have crossed over the line. Its very easy to overpower yourself as it doesn't want to take away control from the driver.

Ok, I THINK that it's working. The key was switching from the vibration warning to the beep, because the correction is so weak that the vibration masks the steering intervention in most cases.
Frankly, I feel a bit misled by Mazda claiming that they have "Lane-Keep Assist" in addition to "Lane Departure Warning" (as is published in Mazda's CX-9 brochure).
I cannot imagine any circumstance in which the miniscule steering intervention (the "Assist") could possibly have any useful effect in a "wandering" situation... especially as any user input (steering, braking, etc.) cancels the system intervention. I have tried to simulate an accidental line cross and the car's Lane-Keep Assist never prevented it. So what's the point?
Can any of you envision any real-world value?

it works on my 2016. If I touch the lines it would beep and nudge me slightly but I haven't done it with my hands off the wheel as I don't trust the car to control itself yet especially at high way speed.

What we*re witnessing here is part of the evolution in ADAS (The generic name for *Advanced Driver Assist Systems*).

Ten years ago the first systems appeared that beeped when you started departing your lane, then we got to Lane Keep Assist systems like Mazda currently has, that gently nudge you off of the lane (SOMETIMES - mine only works pretty well encountering the Center Lane on the left side, while the right side almost never works). When they work stronger in other vehicles (I*ve driven Honda*s with it), they can bounce you back and forth between the lane markers like the old *Pong* video games.

But already this technology is history!

Currently, this LKA (or whatever name), is being replaced by *Lane Centering* systems that keep you in the center of the lane. The list of manufacturers that now feature this newer technology AS STANDARD in 2019 is rapidly growing, including lower cost vehicles from Toyota, Nissan, and Subaru.

Mazda will be forced by market pressures to add it, (maybe by 2020?). Meanwhile I*m seriously looking into the new Rav 4, which has it now.

Currently, this LKA (or whatever name), is being replaced by *Lane Centering* systems that keep you in the center of the lane.
The list of manufacturers that now feature this newer technology AS STANDARD in 2019 is rapidly growing, including lower cost vehicles from Toyota, Nissan, and Subaru.

Meanwhile I*m seriously looking into the new Rav 4, which has it now.
Wow, just wow. Making purchasing decisions based on an aid that keeps your car in the middle of the lane while driving.

What happened to the good old days when you looked at where you were going, held on to the steering wheel,
and actually kept your vehicle in your own lane by moving the steering wheel by yourself, by hand? Remember those days?

I have my lane keep assist turned off, because, you know, I actually take control of my car and keep it in my own lane. It's archaic I know, but it's called DRIVING. Sheesh.

I feel a bit misled by Mazda... I cannot imagine any circumstance in which the miniscule steering intervention (the "Assist") could possibly have any useful effect in a "wandering" situation... especially as any user input (steering, braking, etc.) cancels the system intervention... So what's the point? Can any of you envision any real-world value?

The point is driver awareness. All of this technology is intended to support the driver, and increase the connection between the driver, the car, and the road. It is there to enhance the driver's experience and should not be confused with autonomous driving capabilities.

Hey Buzzman, I agree with you, it would be stupid to make a purchasing decision based upon a single accessory.

I guess I could have expanded into all the reasons why I might want the new Rav 4, (I doubt you would be interested), but anyway, my main reason I'm considering it is because I can get it in a *Hybrid", and also because it looks so new and bold. But my purpose here is not to disrespect Mazda, I simply LOVE my CX-9!

Just so you know, this idea of Lane Centering is nothing new to Mazda, consider their webpage:

http://www.mazda.com/en/innovation/technology/safety/active_safety/las/

(Take a look at *Lane Trace* toward the bottom. Apparently Mazda either offers this in other countries, or decided to remove it from their current offerings.)

In any case, just so you know, I also share your love of driving * and Mazda*s are the best! (But please appreciate some of us older drivers (like myself) may have more need for "driver*s assistance" extras than others may need).

Back