Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help, please, with Lane-Keep Assist

Registered Member

2016 cx-9 signature

it works on my 2016. If I touch the lines it would beep and nudge me slightly but I haven't done it with my hands off the wheel as I don't trust the car to control itself yet especially at high way speed.

Registered Member

2018 Madza CX-9 GT

What we*re witnessing here is part of the evolution in ADAS (The generic name for *Advanced Driver Assist Systems*).

Ten years ago the first systems appeared that beeped when you started departing your lane, then we got to Lane Keep Assist systems like Mazda currently has, that gently nudge you off of the lane (SOMETIMES - mine only works pretty well encountering the Center Lane on the left side, while the right side almost never works). When they work stronger in other vehicles (I*ve driven Honda*s with it), they can bounce you back and forth between the lane markers like the old *Pong* video games.

But already this technology is history!

Currently, this LKA (or whatever name), is being replaced by *Lane Centering* systems that keep you in the center of the lane. The list of manufacturers that now feature this newer technology AS STANDARD in 2019 is rapidly growing, including lower cost vehicles from Toyota, Nissan, and Subaru.

Mazda will be forced by market pressures to add it, (maybe by 2020?). Meanwhile I*m seriously looking into the new Rav 4, which has it now.

Registered Member

17 Mazda 6 GT

Quote Originally Posted by Hockeye View Post

Currently, this LKA (or whatever name), is being replaced by *Lane Centering* systems that keep you in the center of the lane.
    The list of manufacturers that now feature this newer technology AS STANDARD in 2019 is rapidly growing, including lower cost vehicles from Toyota, Nissan, and Subaru.

Meanwhile I*m seriously looking into the new Rav 4, which has it now.
    Wow, just wow. Making purchasing decisions based on an aid that keeps your car in the middle of the lane while driving.

What happened to the good old days when you looked at where you were going, held on to the steering wheel,
    and actually kept your vehicle in your own lane by moving the steering wheel by yourself, by hand? Remember those days?

I have my lane keep assist turned off, because, you know, I actually take control of my car and keep it in my own lane. It's archaic I know, but it's called DRIVING. Sheesh.

My Way IS the Highway

2018 CX-9 Signature Silver & 2007 CX-7 GT AWD Liq Platinum

Quote Originally Posted by Zuman View Post
    I feel a bit misled by Mazda... I cannot imagine any circumstance in which the miniscule steering intervention (the "Assist") could possibly have any useful effect in a "wandering" situation... especially as any user input (steering, braking, etc.) cancels the system intervention... So what's the point? Can any of you envision any real-world value?
    The point is driver awareness. All of this technology is intended to support the driver, and increase the connection between the driver, the car, and the road. It is there to enhance the driver's experience and should not be confused with autonomous driving capabilities.

Registered Member

2018 Madza CX-9 GT

Hey Buzzman, I agree with you, it would be stupid to make a purchasing decision based upon a single accessory.

I guess I could have expanded into all the reasons why I might want the new Rav 4, (I doubt you would be interested), but anyway, my main reason I'm considering it is because I can get it in a *Hybrid", and also because it looks so new and bold. But my purpose here is not to disrespect Mazda, I simply LOVE my CX-9!

Just so you know, this idea of Lane Centering is nothing new to Mazda, consider their webpage:

http://www.mazda.com/en/innovation/t...ve_safety/las/

(Take a look at *Lane Trace* toward the bottom. Apparently Mazda either offers this in other countries, or decided to remove it from their current offerings.)

In any case, just so you know, I also share your love of driving * and Mazda*s are the best! (But please appreciate some of us older drivers (like myself) may have more need for "driver*s assistance" extras than others may need).

Registered Member

2018 Mazda CX-9 Signature

Ok, maybe I'm a little defensive...
    My car cred includes a Lotus, BMW, Porsche, Triumph, Austin Healey, and other "enthusiast" cars. My first Mazda was the first RX-7 sold in in my market back in 1979 (that rust color with the weird tartan seats). I currently put around 6,000 miles on my Aston Martin DB9 each year, and I do its oil changes and replaced the twelve coil packs myself. The car I replaced with my CX-9 was a Mini Cooper S.
    But the reason I wanted a CX-9 with all the newest safety gadgets is because I'm now 66 (not retired yet) and I drive my wife and various other family members 700 miles back to visit her parents and siblings four or five times each year. We do the drive in one day.
    I haven't had an insurance-claim accident in three decades, but there are times when I've felt lucky. I don't want to look left one day and have my hands follow, steering me into the next lane. I don't want to be changing a radio station and glance down long enough to miss the other 66-year old who's just slammed on the brakes. I think that arguing against the best safety tech available is like arguing against seatbelts. Hey, if you drive properly, who needs them?

Registered Member

2017 CX-9 GT AWD

Just so you know, this idea of Lane Centering is nothing new to Mazda, consider their webpage:

http://www.mazda.com/en/innovation/t...ve_safety/las/

(Take a look at *Lane Trace* toward the bottom. Apparently Mazda either offers this in other countries, or decided to remove it from their current offerings.)
    Pretty sure my 2017 has Lane Trace in the LKAS. Around long curves in the road (when the system can detect the lane lines) I can feel the steering assistance from the car. The effect is that it requires less driver effort to keep the steering wheel turned at the proper angle throughout the curve.

Registered Member

Tesla

Currently, this LKA (or whatever name), is being replaced by *Lane Centering* systems that keep you in the center of the lane. The list of manufacturers that now feature this newer technology AS STANDARD in 2019 is rapidly growing, including lower cost vehicles from Toyota, Nissan, and Subaru.

Mazda will be forced by market pressures to add it, (maybe by 2020?). Meanwhile I*m seriously looking into the new Rav 4, which has it now.
    Here is a list of some cars with Lane Centering: https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php...automated_cars

Registered Member

2018 Madza CX-9 GT

Hey Zuman - I agree with you, the very poor Lane-Keep Assist is pretty useless - it hardly ever works.

I do wonder if there are settings available internally that would increase it's effectiveness - that the dealer has access to?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12