Pricing strategy

tcell

:
2019 CX9 GT
Looking to buy a 2019 CX9 GT FWD SWPM this December The MSRP is $42035.00
After reading the 2018 pricing thread, on this forum, I think I will try to use crazybikers idea of 15-17% off. So with 15% off, I should be at aprox $35730.00. Add in TTL of aprox 10%
puts me at $39300. I think I would be comfortable anywhere between $39300.00 and $40300.00 OTD Is this a reasonable idea? I am open to any negotiating advice.
Also, I would prefer to do this via email, with the Dealer. So how should I contact the multiple Dealers in my area? Should I tell them I am shopping for the best OTD price? Or should I make them an offer of $39300.00 OTD?

Looking to buy a 2019 CX9 GT FWD SWPM this December The MSRP is $42035.00
After reading the 2018 pricing thread, on this forum, I think I will try to use crazybikers idea of 15-17% off. So with 15% off, I should be at aprox $35730.00. Add in TTL of aprox 10%
puts me at $39300. I think I would be comfortable anywhere between $39300.00 and $40300.00 OTD Is this a reasonable idea? I am open to any negotiating advice.
Also, I would prefer to do this via email, with the Dealer. So how should I contact the multiple Dealers in my area? Should I tell them I am shopping for the best OTD price? Or should I make them an offer of $39300.00 OTD?

I am doing the same now with a 18 tour with Tech pkg . Let them give you a price first and work from there . I think you get better action on a 18 leftover , lots of rebates now. Stay tuned !!

I purchased a CX-9 with the same specs in October. I sent out the following email to a total of about 10 dealers in my local and regional areas.....

Hello,

I live in the XXXXX area and am in the market for a new 2019 Mazda CX-9 Grand Touring FWD (front wheel drive) model with Snowflake White Pearl Mica exterior and Sand interior. I would like to pick up the vehicle at your dealership prior to the end of this month (October 2018).

I am not interested in any additional factory or dealer added options on the vehicle.

I am sending this inquiry to multiple dealers. I will purchase from the dealer with the best out-the-door price and will be paying the full amount with a check or other agreed-upon payment method.

If you are able to provide the above vehicle prior to the end of October and are interested in quoting please respond to this email with your best out-the-door price including all taxes, license and dealer fees.

Thank you in advance for your interest in my business. I look forward to hearing from you.

I received about 7 replies and ended up paying $37.093 (which included a $1,000 manufacturer rebate and $499 dealer doc fee) plus sales tax and licensing. There were 3 dealers within a couple of hundred dollars of this number. The windows had already been tinted by the dealer I purchased it from so that was included at no charge.

I could have gotten it for less if I had waited as the '19s were just showing up but I was getting it for my wife for her birthday at the end of October. I ended up trading in a vehicle but only began negotiating that once the cash price was settled on.

I found that calling the dealerships to get an email address was futile. Instead most 'emails' were actually sent via the "contact us" link on their website. Most were read and replied to promptly.

I found when I just began looking at new vehicles a few months earlier that I was immediately deluged by emails and/or phone calls. For that reason I purchased a "Burner" number for a month ($5) and set up a fake gmail address and made up an alias name which I used. That all worked extremely well as I was able to ignore all calls but had a legit number to provide on the 'contact us' web form. I was also able to completely cut off contact as soon as the deal was finalized. I did extend the courtesy to all bidders of letting them know that I had made the purchase and from which dealer.

The process went very smoothly for me and much more quickly than I expected, about 7 days from initial e-mails to purchase.

Good luck with your search!

Do you think it is best to start the process now, or wait until near the 15th? December should be a slow sales month, by waiting a few weeks, I'm thinking they may be more motivated. Not sure if that logic is sound. Also I won't be purchasing in full, we most likely will take advantage of dealer financing @ 2.99%. Does this effect Dealer pricing to us?

I am also looking at purchasing a new 2018 cx-9 signature this month. So I am very interested in this thread

I did basically the same thing that 19CX9 did, except that I only emailed 4 dealerships (3 local and 1 about an hour and a half away). It took me about a week and half from the initial email to closing the sale.

A suggestion that was provided to me in the 2018 Pricing thread when I was in the process of buying, was to keep the method of purchasing (finance, cash, trade-in) to yourself until you're ready to close. Financing is better for the dealership, so if you keep that on the table during negotiations it can help with your final price. Same with trade-ins, if you negotiate a final price and then mention the trade-in, you should be able to get a fairer price on your trade.

As far as whether to email now or wait a couple of weeks, I'd suggest emailing now. Doesn't hurt to put yourself on their radar.

Last thing is just a suggestion based on my own personal experience. Be firm, but friendly. Regardless of whether you're the customer or the salesperson, nobody likes dealing with an asshole. It's helpful to build and cultivate a good relationship with your dealer from the start to ensure that you get a decent level of customer service during the sale and after the fact.

I agree, keep your method of payment close to your vest. In some cases the dealer gets a kickback from the lender. You can be "undecided" until it's time to sign the paperwork.

Agree, keep everything business-courteous. While keeping in mind that no one at the dealership is your friend, and the phone operator is the only one who doesn't make more if they can get more money out of your pocket, stay business-friendly.

About the trade in--in theory we should have two separate but linked deals, the negotiated price for the new car and the value for the trade-in. The trade-in should be the same value whether you trade it or bring it in alone to sell to the dealership. At the same time, the sales people are experts at throwing numbers at us to make our heads spin. Negotiate the best price you can get for the new car, then "decide" to offer them the trade-in; a fair value for the trade is needed to go forward with the purchase.

I did basically the same thing that 19CX9 did, except that I only emailed 4 dealerships (3 local and 1 about an hour and a half away).

I contacted the local dealers first and then decided to expand my search just to see how the prices compared. As it turned out the lowest prices offered were nearly identical so I bought locally for logistical and relationship reasons.

All right guys and girls, today I started the email quotes process. 1 dealer already told me they don't like to give O-T-D pricing. I'll keep you posted.

Received 1st legit quote of $40803.00 O-T-D Cash price

If I use dealer financing, the price is $41303 O-T-D with mazda 1.9%

or $40303 O-T-D and I find my own financing.

Sorry the dealer email was confusing.

Last edited:
Received 1st legit quote of $40803.00 O-T-D Cash price

If I use dealer financing, the price is $41303 O-T-D with mazda 1.9%

or $40303 O-T-D and I find my own financing.

Sorry the dealer email was confusing.

That does not seem like much of a deal...

Here is a another quote, just received. I don't qualify for Military, or trade in bonus, so add back in $1000.00

2019 CX-9 Grand Touring FWD

Snowflake White Pearl Mica

Stock #M190025

MSRP Price $42,035

Internet Price before Bonuses $38,096

Includes Customer Cash Rebate $500

Military Bonus* $ (500)

Mazda Trade In Bonus* (500)

Loyalty Bonus* $ (750)

Vehicle Selling Price* $36,346

(Destination & Handling Fees Included!)

Here is a another quote, just received. I don't qualify for Military, or trade in bonus, so add back in $1000.00

2019 CX-9 Grand Touring FWD

Snowflake White Pearl Mica

Stock #M190025

MSRP Price $42,035

Internet Price before Bonuses $38,096

Includes Customer Cash Rebate $500

Military Bonus* $ (500)

Mazda Trade In Bonus* (500)

Loyalty Bonus* $ (750)

Vehicle Selling Price* $36,346

(Destination & Handling Fees Included!)

Well, that sounds like a deal!

I suck at dealing and have always used Truecar. However, now, I am getting any real numbers. I may try your approach.

Good point. All I have is an offer for $42,999 for a 2019 CX-9 Signature in Sonic Silver, the actual color I want. But am still waiting for my best offer.

I bought a 2018 machine gray signature last thur for right over $39k. With the chrome package, remote start and got own all weather floor mats thrown in.

I email 12 dealers in 3 states that had what I wanted. Gots lots of replies, some as low as right under $41k some $500 under mark. Negotiated via email with quite a few dealerships until I got the price that I wanted and then settled on a local dealer that gave me the best deal.

Back