Pricing strategy

So, I have 1 quote that I feel is in the ballpark @ $40303.00 OTD, I think there should be more dealer wiggle room, but I could live with this. However, I would rather buy from the nearest dealer, if I have a choice. The nearest dealer's price is not that close. Any tips on negotiating either dealer? I have not yet replied to either dealer.

So, I have 1 quote that I feel is in the ballpark @ $40303.00 OTD, I think there should be more dealer wiggle room, but I could live with this. However, I would rather buy from the nearest dealer, if I have a choice. The nearest dealer's price is not that close. Any tips on negotiating either dealer? I have not yet replied to either dealer.

I got my 2019 CX2019 GT for ~41.4k in IL.
For a few $$ more, you could try your luck with a 2019, if you want.

I've learned a few things during this buying experience. These are my random thoughts.Email is the way to go.
#1 it gives time to digest the various quotes.
#2 The dealer will call you, they want you in their store. Don't go until you are ready to close.
#3 It may take as long as a week. I started on Monday, closed on Friday.
#4 I bought from the local dealer, for me, it made the most sense, and in my emails to the dealer I made that very clear, several times. I also was very clear that any other dealer would be just fine.
#5 When the salesperson( Silver Tongued Devil) calls, and they will, let them know their quote is not the lowest. Don't get caught up the conversation, these people are very good and can be confusing.
#6 It is okay to wait a day to respond to the dealer. Trust me, they will reach out to you.

This happened to me. On the day that I closed my deal, no sooner had I sat down at the dealer, when the other dealer called me. As I had saved the dealer names into my phone, I turned my phone to the dealer i was at and pointed to the name on my phone. I then put it on speaker, so the dealer I was at could hear the conversation. Based on that conversation, I was able get a sweeter deal.

This got me to thinking, if you have a cohort that will to play along, change their cell phone number, to that of a competing dealer. And have your "friend" pose as another dealer. Yay I know, maybe not the most decent thing to do, but it could work.

I've learned a few things during this buying experience. These are my random thoughts.Email is the way to go.
#1 it gives time to digest the various quotes.
#2 The dealer will call you, they want you in their store. Don't go until you are ready to close.
#3 It may take as long as a week. I started on Monday, closed on Friday.
#4 I bought from the local dealer, for me, it made the most sense, and in my emails to the dealer I made that very clear, several times. I also was very clear that any other dealer would be just fine.
#5 When the salesperson( Silver Tongued Devil) calls, and they will, let them know their quote is not the lowest. Don't get caught up the conversation, these people are very good and can be confusing.
#6 It is okay to wait a day to respond to the dealer. Trust me, they will reach out to you.

This happened to me. On the day that I closed my deal, no sooner had I sat down at the dealer, when the other dealer called me. As I had saved the dealer names into my phone, I turned my phone to the dealer i was at and pointed to the name on my phone. I then put it on speaker, so the dealer I was at could hear the conversation. Based on that conversation, I was able get a sweeter deal.

This got me to thinking, if you have a cohort that will to play along, change their cell phone number, to that of a competing dealer. And have your "friend" pose as another dealer. Yay I know, maybe not the most decent thing to do, but it could work.

Nothing like advising people to cheat and lie to get what you want. Hypocrisy at its finest!

If i were the Dealer, I would throw you out for playing that phone game. Thats incredibly sleazy. Do you homework on your own time, not in their face. Thats really sh***y advice.

Nothing like advising people to cheat and lie to get what you want. Hypocrisy at its finest!

If i were the Dealer, I would throw you out for playing that phone game. Thats incredibly sleazy. Do you homework on your own time, not in their face. Thats really sh***y advice.

I enjoy playing the dealer game but that was a real low method.

If i were the Dealer, I would throw you out for playing that phone game. That*s incredibly sleazy. Do you homework on your own time, not in their face. That*s really sh***y advice.

Come on man, no need for that. In his situation, it was just coincidence that the other dealer happened to call. He even said it wouldn't be the most decent thing to do on purpose.

When you think about it, what happened in tcell's case is not that much different from screenshotting a text convo between you and one dealer, or forwarding an email quote. Due diligence is something that both the buyer and dealer should be exercising. I.E. if I was the salesperson and that happened to me, I would ask to see the phone number and dial it myself to see who picked up. If as the salesperson, you don't verify the source of the quote, any loss in commission is on you. This is why salespeople have started refusing to give quotes online, and why some salespersons will only match a quote if it is written on a company business card.

Anyway, this is a pricing thread. Let's stay on topic.

Last edited:
Was that 41990 out the door?
Discussion of out the door pricing is meaningless on an international forum due to all the different state fees and state & local taxes.

Most of what tcell posted is just good negotiating. Time is your friend. Patience is your friend. You have no friends working at the dealership. They are indeed silver tongued devils. The more money they get out of our pockets, the more they put into their pockets. They negotiate these big transactions several times daily. They're good at it. We do these deals several years apart. Most of us are not good at it. Should we use trickery? Do car salesmen use trickery on us? I prefer to be business-courteous and straight up. If I identify their trickery I file it away and try to use it against them, knowing, at the minimum, that I can't trust them. I don't condemn tcell for scamming the scammers.

Everybody Is entitled to their own opinion, I really don't care. The fact is, what I gave you, was the condensed version. Yes I showed the salesperson who was calling, why? Because I couldn't believe the timing. After the dealer on the phone said what the price would be, I put it on speaker, and repeated it back them, "so if I bring you a check for 40K, it's a done deal" reply "yes". I wanted the dealer to know, a new legit offer was on the table. I excused myself, walked to the lobby, and explained the situation, to the dealer on the phone. I told them, it was only fair, that the dealer I was at, be offered a chance to meet that deal. They said they understood, and to call them back if it didn't work out. Well, I made that offer to the dealer I was at, and they declined. The Sales Manager, told me, the other dealer was giving Epricing, doing other non legit practices, and when they are caught, will lose their franchise. I feel they were just trying to guilt me into staying, and paying the higher price.
Now the dealer I did buy the vehicle from, originally told to I had to bring the lower emailed quote in person to their dealership and they would meet or beat it. NOT TRUE.
I never showed my lower quote, i never showed registration of the other Mazda vehicle we own, for the Loyalty Discount. It is a GAME. Play how you want.

Come on man, no need for that. In his situation, it was just coincidence that the other dealer happened to call

Yes, but still sleazy.

Also, he said whatever quote he gives you say hes higher. Again, sleazy. People wonder why dealers at times are not honest.

It shouldnt be a game. However, dealers and customers make it one. All parties are guilty of of that.

Yes, but still sleazy.

Also, he said whatever quote he gives you say hes higher. Again, sleazy. People wonder why dealers at times are not honest.

It shouldnt be a game. However, dealers and customers make it one. All parties are guilty of of that.

This is true

Yes, but still sleazy.

Also, he said whatever quote he gives you say he*s higher. Again, sleazy. People wonder why dealers at times are not honest.

How so? Did you read his most recent post where he explained what happened after? He told the dealer on the phone that he was going to give the dealer that he was at a chance before agreeing to anything. That's being completely transparent - he didn't have to step away and inform him that the other dealer overheard the offer made on the phone.

Then when he gives the in-person dealer the chance to counter-offer, the dealer instead tries to BS him into thinking that the phone dealer was doing something shady, basically trying to guilt him into paying more instead of simply saying that they cannot match prices. I think the in-person dealer was the most sleazy, in this case.

It shouldn*t be a game. However, dealers and customers make it one. All parties are guilty of of that.

Exactly. So why put yourself at an automatic disadvantage by not playing the game? I personally try to be as transparent as possible, that's the most you can/should be asking for. If I get a quote from one dealer and two other ones are willing to match it, I will go back and forth as much as I can, being transparent about what each dealer is offering, until only one dealer is willing to counter-offer.

Back