Thread: 2018 CX 5 headlight malfunction issue

Registered Member

2018 Mazda cx5

2018 CX 5 headlight malfunction issue

I have a 2018 Mazda cx 5. Two weeks after getting the car a light came up on the dash so naturally I looked it up in the owners manual and it said that it meant that there was a malfunction with the headlights but the headlights seem to work fine and the light on the dash went out after about two days so I forgot about. It wasnít until I drove the car on the highway where were no lamp post that I realized that the lights were pointing down at the road just a few feet in front of the car and made it very dangerous for driving.
    I looked into the manual again and it said the car is equipped with and auto headlight adjustment and a button next to the traction control switch on the dash to manually adjust them. I went into the car and look for that button but of course mine did not come with it.
    So Iím wondering does anyone else has that problem and does anyone knows how to fix it?

Registered Member

Mazda CX-5 GT

You have a warranty. Take it to the dealer and let THEM fix it while you enjoy a coffee and a pastry in the waiting room

Registered Member

2018 CX5 SE-L Nav+ 2WD 2.2D 150hp Auto

Registered Member

2018 CX5 SE-L Nav+ 2WD 2.2D 150hp Auto

Not exactly a malfunction as such, more of an adjustment. Two nights ago when driving in the dark a number of cars and a a couple of lorries driving on the opposite side of the dual carriageway were flashing me. I've used the car many times at night since purchase (October 2018) without the flashing. Went to the dealer yesterday and they said the LED lights needed adjusting lower. Interestingly, I happen to to have a dashcam and they did adjust the lights although without any measuring equipment, although the workshop door did have some horizontal lines as part of the door moulding. I'll have to see if I can "see" as well tonight. I wonder why they changed? They should be self levelling etc and there are no warning messages or lights on the dash.

Registered Member

CX-5 2.2d Sport Nav +

Quote Originally Posted by Zach francis View Post
    I have a 2018 Mazda cx 5. Two weeks after getting the car a light came up on the dash so naturally I looked it up in the owners manual and it said that it meant that there was a malfunction with the headlights but the headlights seem to work fine and the light on the dash went out after about two days so I forgot about. It wasnít until I drove the car on the highway where were no lamp post that I realized that the lights were pointing down at the road just a few feet in front of the car and made it very dangerous for driving.
    I looked into the manual again and it said the car is equipped with and auto headlight adjustment and a button next to the traction control switch on the dash to manually adjust them. I went into the car and look for that button but of course mine did not come with it.
    So Iím wondering does anyone else has that problem and does anyone knows how to fix it?
    No idea, but I did wonder why there is no manual adjustment, even if it is just to lower them. I'm using the dealers 2018 demo at the present time and the 1st time I drove with a back seat passenger I was being flashed at by oncoming cars, much like Jonno above. I did notice however it was almost when the were upon me almost like it was the LEDS at the side of the headlight where it sweeps around rather than at the front.