2017~2024 2018 CX 5 headlight malfunction issue

Zach francis

:
2018 Mazda cx5
I have a 2018 Mazda cx 5. Two weeks after getting the car a light came up on the dash so naturally I looked it up in the owners manual and it said that it meant that there was a malfunction with the headlights but the headlights seem to work fine and the light on the dash went out after about two days so I forgot about. It wasnt until I drove the car on the highway where were no lamp post that I realized that the lights were pointing down at the road just a few feet in front of the car and made it very dangerous for driving.
I looked into the manual again and it said the car is equipped with and auto headlight adjustment and a button next to the traction control switch on the dash to manually adjust them. I went into the car and look for that button but of course mine did not come with it.
So Im wondering does anyone else has that problem and does anyone knows how to fix it?

You have a warranty. Take it to the dealer and let THEM fix it while you enjoy a coffee and a pastry in the waiting room :)

Not exactly a malfunction as such, more of an adjustment. Two nights ago when driving in the dark a number of cars and a a couple of lorries driving on the opposite side of the dual carriageway were flashing me. I've used the car many times at night since purchase (October 2018) without the flashing. Went to the dealer yesterday and they said the LED lights needed adjusting lower. Interestingly, I happen to to have a dashcam and they did adjust the lights although without any measuring equipment, although the workshop door did have some horizontal lines as part of the door moulding. I'll have to see if I can "see" as well tonight. I wonder why they changed? They should be self levelling etc and there are no warning messages or lights on the dash.

I have a 2018 Mazda cx 5. Two weeks after getting the car a light came up on the dash so naturally I looked it up in the owners manual and it said that it meant that there was a malfunction with the headlights but the headlights seem to work fine and the light on the dash went out after about two days so I forgot about. It wasnt until I drove the car on the highway where were no lamp post that I realized that the lights were pointing down at the road just a few feet in front of the car and made it very dangerous for driving.
I looked into the manual again and it said the car is equipped with and auto headlight adjustment and a button next to the traction control switch on the dash to manually adjust them. I went into the car and look for that button but of course mine did not come with it.
So Im wondering does anyone else has that problem and does anyone knows how to fix it?

No idea, but I did wonder why there is no manual adjustment, even if it is just to lower them. I'm using the dealers 2018 demo at the present time and the 1st time I drove with a back seat passenger I was being flashed at by oncoming cars, much like Jonno above. I did notice however it was almost when the were upon me almost like it was the LEDS at the side of the headlight where it sweeps around rather than at the front.

Hate the headlights

I have a 2018 Mazda cx 5. Two weeks after getting the car a light came up on the dash so naturally I looked it up in the owners manual and it said that it meant that there was a malfunction with the headlights but the headlights seem to work fine and the light on the dash went out after about two days so I forgot about. It wasn*t until I drove the car on the highway where were no lamp post that I realized that the lights were pointing down at the road just a few feet in front of the car and made it very dangerous for driving.
So I*m wondering does anyone else has that problem and does anyone knows how to fix it?

My 2018 headlights illuminate everything BUT the road. The trees are lit, the reflection off the highway overhead signs blind me if my high beams are on and today the light off snow falling made it impossible to see at all (because the lights are aimed so high). I have taken my car to the dealer who said..."They are fine". And continued.... "Have you noticed a wavy pattern from them when you are against a building? Well that is so you do no blind oncoming vehicles". Are you friggin serious? They aim the lights HIGH so I don't blind oncoming cars yet I can't see a damn thing. I hate this vehicle for this ONE reason. I have owned Mazda's for years but this is a straw that will break this camels back. I pay 35,000 for a car that has headlights that cannot be aimed. OH and the other kicker is that I found out that when a bulb blows you need to spend 1200.00 to replace the ENTIRE housing. REALLY???????????????

Last edited:
All of you with 2018 Mazda if you have headlight problem, why not take it back to mazda dealer. You must be having a 3 year guarantee, correct? I have a ten year guarantee and will use the dealer for every small thing that goes wrong.
But it is sad to see that even headlights are giving up so soon in a new car! But on the other side the lights are made by stanley or valeo or something not mazda. But these adaptive LED headlights (high and low beam automatic with cornering function) are really nice and I could not live without them. With decreasing eyesight with advancing age I really appreciate these LED lights.

Last edited:
I have a 2018 Mazda cx 5. Two weeks after getting the car a light came up on the dash so naturally I looked it up in the owners manual and it said that it meant that there was a malfunction with the headlights but the headlights seem to work fine and the light on the dash went out after about two days so I forgot about. It wasn*t until I drove the car on the highway where were no lamp post that I realized that the lights were pointing down at the road just a few feet in front of the car and made it very dangerous for driving.
So I*m wondering does anyone else has that problem and does anyone knows how to fix it?

In the US, only the base trim level has the manual light leveler. It's (supposed to be) automatic on higher trim levels based on passenger seating and load weight

OH and the other kicker is that I found out that when a bulb blows you need to spend 1200.00 to replace the ENTIRE housing. REALLY???????????????

That's exactly why in today's world of over tech'd automotive design, it is simply insane not to negotiate in to the purchase price a $1200 B2B extended warranty good for 9-10 years. The simplest, stupidest items can't be had for less than a grand for the parts alone. The days of "an extended warranty is a waste of money" are over.

With the Mazda extended warranty its important to check what is not covered. If I am not mistaken bulb and sealed beams are not but that was few years ago. May be they include them now given the specs of the new led lights.

If one can find a 10yrs/100K miles B2B warranty, please do tell.
I will be interested.

Most ext warranty does not cover wear-n-tear items....
That fine print covers more than you might think....
Used to own an ext warranty on my problematic BMW.
I needed to pay about 50% of all repair cost even with my ext warranty.

Mazda Total Confidence is probably the best option.
only 0 or 100 dedictible per claim and some normal exclusions like struts, shocks and the usual maintenance items.

I have the 10yr/10,000k Platinum plan thru Fidelity Warranty and the LED front lights are included in the warranty. $100 deductible. I got the dealer down to $1365 for the warranty about 3 weeks after purchasing the car.

Back