Rain sensing wipers - What am I doing wrong?

Stevespim

:
Mazda CX-5 GT w/ Premium Pack
So, if I set the wipers to the 'auto' setting, are they supposed to stay off until rain hits the sensor at the top of the windscreen?

If that's the case, they don't work, they just keep going, as per the interval set under the Auto function.

I've followed the owner's manual and also YouTube videos and set them as instructed, but even in no rain they just keep going. It's worth mentioning that my CX-5 GT is brand new and the windshield is perfectly clean and there are no obstructions over the sensor.

This has to be user error. What am I doing wrong?

In the info screen under settings, do you have the rain sensing wipers activated or de-activated?

FYI, I turned mine off recently as I was never able to adjust the sensitivity the way I wanted. The rain sensing is just too random and unpredictable.
Now my intermittent wipers work like the old school system (no rain sensing).

In the info screen under settings, do you have the rain sensing wipers activated or de-activated?

FYI, I turned mine off recently as I was never able to adjust the sensitivity the way I wanted. The rain sensing is just too random and unpredictable.

Damn that's it. I knew it was user error, thank you. I am a fool. The toggle was off. i've turned it on and i'll try it when it rains next.

Mine seems to work just fine. You can set the sensitivity while it's on with the dial thing on the stalk. Turning it up makes it more sensitive.

Yes, Mazda's rain sensing wipers do have their own mind, and the sensitivity dial adjustment is simply useless!

I found that the auto function is too sensitive and the wipers come on too often for my tastes. I turned the auto system off.

Not turning them off in the first place, lol.

Useless feature to me...
Rain sensing wipers are great if they work like these on my 2000 BMW 528i. The rain sensing is precise and predictable. The sensitivity adjustment truly works and can perform any way I want.

Not on my 2016 Mazda CX-5 and 2001.5 VW Passat!

They work so well in my Mazda I get annoyed driving a car without it. Looking at you Tuscon.

My Jag XFR had them and they were perfect under the British weather. At least I found the toggle for them wasn't on in the Mazda. now to try them and see how they are. We're getting more rain here in SoCal now.

Also can just turn them on when its raining then off when its not. When its rainy and on theyll adjust as needed.

My automatic has one speed, and it's never right.
I use manual intermittent-- it's always right.

My auto wipers also work flawlessly, however, I don't usually have them activated.

The reason is the fact that they will come on before the windshield is fully blasted with rainwater. In many instances, there is a lot of dirt and grit that has settled on top of the wiper blades and if it is not washed off, may scratch the windshield.

I prefer turning them on manually with a squirt of washer fluid or after the rain has had a chance to wash away the grit.

After I know that the grit is gone, I will sometimes set them to auto.

My Nissan Murano had them, and I turned them off because dust would cause them to come up and it would smear my window all the time.

What year? Ours lets you adjust sensitivity.

17 GT. Mine's supposed to adjust, but it doesn't, regardless of stalk setting. The standard intermittent work fine, with a very short to very long range of adjustments.
Not a problem for me. Not a feature I care about.

ahhh i remember when these were first offered in the 5 series...i was like, I MUST HAVE this luxury =)
the 528 also had the nice heated steering wheel too!

Rain sensing wipers are great if they work like these on my 2000 BMW 528i. The rain sensing is precise and predictable. The sensitivity adjustment truly works and can perform any way I want.

Not on my 2016 Mazda CX-5 and 2001.5 VW Passat!

This happened after selling my CX-5 GT mazda to my son. How this happened: My son bought an e-pass sticker and placed it under the control sensors on the windshield. This caused the sensor to shut off. Solution: Move e-pass sticker to driver's side and Go to Settings and windshield wipers and turn the system back on!

For me, the most sensitive setting didn't wipe enough. I like all the drops gone :) Seems I'm in the minority.

Back