Colors-WHY?

erhayes

Contributor
:
2022CX5 PP
I think Mazda really goofed with the interior colors. Mazda CX5 has the smallest passenger room of the compacts COVs I'm interested in, like the RDX & X3. I'm referring to shoulder and hip room for the driver and his passenger. MAZDA chose to use a very dark brown leather to go with the black trim and black headliner. My CX5 T with Light grey upholstering and light headliner feels open and airy rather than being closed up like the New CX5. I sincerely hope that they reconsider before I'm ready to buy in the next year or two and increase the color options.

erhayes, what is this " light grey upholstery" you mention? I presume aftermarket seat covers in fabric or leather.Please let me know.Thanks, Jmaz

He's talking about parchment.

But the Parchment is TAN, and leather.

He has a 2014 touring which has cloth. So either he has some aftermarket GREY covers installed, or he has the standard BLACK cloth or SAND/BEIGE cloth.

As far as the 2019 model goes, they have added a third choice for you Ed; Brown. So now instead of just black or tan, they now have added a 3rd color, the brown. You only have to worry about the black headliner Ed, if you get the special SIGNATURE edition package.

My 2014 Touring has a fabric light gray interior, I think MAZDA calls it Sand. In any case the light interior seats and door trim, with the light headliner is a great combo here in FL. The interior color combo make the vehicle feel more open, cooler and comfortable than a dark brown seat, black door trim and black headliner. JMO. Ed

Thanks Ed.When car shopping I looked at a white 2014 cx-5 with a light tan/beige/sand colored interior which definitely felt more open and spacious.Might have gone for it but didn't want another white vehicle after just having one for 10 years.Didn't see that interior in anything else that I liked.Selection was limited as the 2015's were due to arrive in another 3 weeks. Jmaz

Parchment looks more white than tan to me. Classy color, but too easy to look dirty for me.

The gray leather in my CX7 was just excellent looking after 7 years and 79,000 miles. I loved the light blue exterior and gray interior. I hope MAZDA, gives us better exterior interior options in the next year or two.

Parchment looks more white than tan to me. Classy color, but too easy to look dirty for me.

Parchment is definitely more white than tan regarding the Mazda.

Mazda's parchment is actually White with a hint of Gray. I guess it could be referred to as extremely light gray. I just see it as white with a hint of gray.

There are other colors called "Parchment" that are white with a hint of both yellow and gray. Some people refer to those colors as light tan.

So far, I have not found my Parchment interior to be difficult to keep clean. Since the leather is "Finished" on its exposed side, it is water proof and does well when cleaned with a mild soap and water, which is easy to do.

For me, the black leather in my 16 Miata is harder to keep looking nice than the parchment leather in my 18 CX-5. The black shows lint, dust and dead skin cells very easily and unless vacuumed quite regularly, looks less than good.

In 2014, a red CX-5 had the option for Black or Sand.

Edit: Just looked up some pics and the Sand is more grey than I remember lol.

Ya, that's my Mazda 2014: Soul red with sand/gray interior and a light colored headliner. I noticed that the 2019 Acura RDX has a red exterior and a gray interiors so they get it correct. Ed

Signature should definitely have a lighter option (seats and headliner). If parchment was available in Signature I would have gone for it but went down to the GTR just for that, so Mazda definitely lost some money from me. The dark brown on black seems like such a weird choice to me.

This is one of the things I didn't and still don't like about my dad's 2016 CX-5. The black interior feels very dark and makes it look smaller than it actually is. I'm not a big fan of tan either, I would've liked a gray interior. Seems that more and more manufacturers are moving away from gray and going to black or tan only.

This is one of the things I didn't and still don't like about my dad's 2016 CX-5. The black interior feels very dark and makes it look smaller than it actually is. I'm not a big fan of tan either, I would've liked a gray interior. Seems that more and more manufacturers are moving away from gray and going to black or tan only.

All three make for Booring interiors IMHO. Only thing good about the lighter colors is they don't make the interior so gloomy.

I definitely would*ve gotten gray instead of black had it been available...

I actually really like the dark brown with black headliner in or CX-5. It appears more upscale to me. I hate light colored interiors.

Back